One Note

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Note

mud
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default One Note

anyone use it?

just wondering as the help feature isnt that great but it is the reason i bought the tablet

one question - what is the little oval 'text bubble' at the top left of every new page?

another - can i import a document and write on it?

thankx guys

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: One Note

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    one question - what is the little oval 'text bubble' at the top left of every new page?
    It's intended to be the document title. Personally, I think it can be annoying sometimes, but I'm unsure how/if it's possible to remove it. You can handwrite in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    another - can i import a document and write on it?
    There are a few ways. You can export any Office document or e-mail etc, but you can also use the OneNote printer (Send to OneNote) to send documents to OneNote.

All up, OneNote is pretty handy but it takes some playing around with to get used to. I'm still figuring out the best way to use it for what I need.

its on my to-buy list.

Figure that it'll take some time to work out how to use it optimally But it should be good once you get there
    HP TM2-2003TX
    • i5-430 1.2-1.75Ghz TurboBoost
    • ATi Mobility Radeon HD5450 (512MB DDR3)
    • 4GB DDR3 RAM
    • HP External Blu-ray Drive (free upgrade)
    • Windows 7 (x64)

Also, you can open documents by clicking on the insert tab and selecting file printout...

To get rid of the page title (bubble) go to format and unclick the view/show page title.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAU View Post
    It's intended to be the document title. Personally, I think it can be annoying sometimes, but I'm unsure how/if it's possible to remove it. You can handwrite in this area.
    Go to view tab, you can remove it. Also you can create templates` that do not have it.
    I use it for everything. I'm in Law school and created this post about OneNote and Tablets: OneNote & Law School: beginners guide

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Amazing program -- with or without a tablet. Some tips:

There's a printer driver called "Send to OneNote" -- anything you can print can be sent to OneNote where you can "annotate" it (ink on top of it). Everything you send to OneNote is now searchable. Take a photograph that includes text, and OneNote will find the text in the photo even.

OneNote acts like paper -- write anywhere and you're cool. Also, there's no saving...like paper, if you write it, it's there.

Drag and drop content from the web and OneNote automatically appends a link to it so you can return!

Take audio notes along with your handwritten or typed notes. When you need to hear a section, tap icon next to note and audio that occurred when that part of the notetaking was done plays back.

Tap on the little OneNote icon in the tray to bring up a SideNote which is a little version of OneNote that stays on top while you work -- like a super post it note. Right-click the icon and select "Create Screen Clipping", grab a section of your screen, and it's sent to OneNote.

Unfiled section allows you to quickly add content, and worry about which section to move it to later.

Add hyperlinks to sections/pages.

Take notes while working in other programs using the Dock to Decktop mode -- main window resized and OneNote take us the right sliver of space. When doing this with a Word file or an IE file, the notes are LINKED to the file. When you go back and read your notes, you can click on a note and it will then open up the Word file and take you directly to the spot where the note pertains.

Napkin math (keyboard only) -- when taking notes and you need a quick calculation, just type the math in, type "=", and OneNote autmatically types in the result!

Tables (keyboard only) are created simply by tapping the Tab key!

Okay, I could go on and on...I've been using it daily for years and couldn't work without it...recently created a shared Notebook on our server for my team at work and it's easier and much more fun than a wiki -- the team totally loves it. Anyway, if you have any questions, please ask. Once you begin to use it, you'll realize that you can create a notebook for work, one for school, one for your hobbies, your trip planning, whatever. Whatever you're into, you can store all your stuff related to it in OneNote if you'd like. Oh, and it's fully searchable, even the audio, if you'd like. Even allows you to lock a section (password protect), so that it's perfect for journaling, saving passwords, etc.

I can NOT express how awesome OneNote is to me, and I believe I still have a lot to learn in order to use it to its fullest potential. I started using OneNote 2003 with an old HP TC1000, and moved straight to 2010 with the purchase of my TM2t.
    I'm a college student here in Brazil, majoring on Biofuel Technology. For you to have an idea here's a screenshot of what it's capable of.
    The class was Biogas Production. You can see I like changing colors of the pen, highlights, and anything I can to make my notes stand out to me, as it helps me to memorize them in order to study better.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Marcelo,

Awesome example! Like you, I often switch between the keyboard and the pen, as each has its advantage in OneNote, and it's seamless!

Itīs very nice to get tips from the more experienced users.
    Iīve only used one note for about 3 weeks now, but I like it a lot.

Though as an Electrical engineering student, I wonder if there are some simple way to do handwritten diagrams, figures or some kind of ruler. Doing it on free hand tends to get sloppy =/

Thread Information