office 2010 install without optical drive

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default office 2010 install without optical drive

If I bought a copy of Office 2010 Professional Plus, and I have the product key, then can I download a file to install. I wonder b/c my tm2 has no optical disk drive. It would be way easier to just download the program instead of finding or building an external drive.

Specifically is it possible to install the trial version of Office 2010 and then input the full-version product key that I paid for?

Default Re: office 2010 install without optical drive

I wouldn't recommend it. I've done it before on another computer and it worked. The annoying issue is the 'for non-commercial use' tag in the title bar. Better to do a clean install.

My Office 2010 install disks had a flyer with a url for downloading complete package. ...does yours?

Pen Pal - Newbie

you could always create an image file of the cd on another computer then install it via virtual drive on your tm2

How to Install Programs on a Netbook Without a CD Player | eHow.com

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by b52hbuff View Post
    The annoying issue is the 'for non-commercial use' tag in the title bar.
    That would presumably be because the trial you had installed was the 'Home & Student' edition of Office.

Biker Punk

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    If I bought a copy of Office 2010 Professional Plus, and I have the product key, then can I download a file to install. I wonder b/c my tm2 has no optical disk drive. It would be way easier to just download the program instead of finding or building an external drive.

Specifically is it possible to install the trial version of Office 2010 and then input the full-version product key that I paid for?
    Try the Virtual Drive solution if you are comfortable with it.
    Otherwise, just go ahead and buy a USB optical drive. They don't cost much nowadays. And you'll sure use it down the line sometime.
    Newegg sells a refurbished Asus drive for $24 AR. I got one and it works great.
    Here's the link.
    Here's some more.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I've downloaded the trial and then just used the serial number to convert to a full registered copy. I've done this multiple times on multiple computers without a problem. You do need to match versions though, so if your serial number is for Professional, use the Professional trial.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Virtual drive is a must, but because it's much easier, and I have the resources, I share my optical drive from my desktop and once mapped, it works just like a built-in drive on my TM2.

Don't over complicate this. Microsoft no longer makes it difficult to install from other media.

I simply copied the complete contents of my Office 2010 dvd to an 8GB flash drive. Then plugged that in to the tm2 and viola - it installed from the Flash drive just fine. Nothing more needed.

I also downloaded a trial and bought a key. That "not for commercial use" thing in the title is mildly annoying but it still works fine and easy to install.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hmm...I dont see the "not for commercial use" thing...are you sure your product key was activated? If you go to File (backstage) and click on Help, does it tell you that the program is "Activated"?

Thread Information