Updated TM2 Drivers and Software (Updated 5/1/2010) - Page 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Updated TM2 Drivers and Software

Yea. I got the program to work.
    But when I click create tittle and add Touchsmart Internet TV, it will close the touchsmart application and open a separete internet tv application.
    Is there a way to make it like OEM, to run within the touchsmart program?
    THanks

Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I would like to know too... Hopefully someone else can weigh in.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovelaptops View Post
    That said, I have a very simple question: how do you know you have the Samsung screen? Has it ever been settled as to whether it is materially better than the AUO? Has it ever been settled whether there are more than 1 AUO versions and 1 is far superior to the other(s) and, if so, which one is the "good" one? All in all, the only thing that concerns me is viewing angles, especially vertical. Anyway, search as I might I can't find out how you get your screen part #

Thanks for the rep. As I understand it, each time a poster is "repped", it shows up on your User CP. Each rep does not equate to a point, however. I honestly can't say I understand the system one bit, but then again I've never gone looking for an answer, which I'm sure is lurking somewhere.

How do I know I have the Samsung screen? Well, since that has been the subject of some debate (and the tear apart pics were of an AUO-sporting machine), I'll gladly clarify. PC Wizard 2010 is a great (and free) little utility. It initially reported my screen as a Samsung. However, since there others who were not sure that the part coding actually meant Samsung, I was pleased to find when I tore into the machines (this one and the would-have-been-replacement-turned-parts-donor) that the back of the screen says Samsung...loud and clear. I think I have some pics still in my camera. If I get a chance to upload them, edit them and post them to photobucket, I'll edit this post to include them. This one is a Samsung, the replacement had an AUO. I may have gotten lucky enough to get a good shot of the part numbers, but since my camera sucks and I haven't actually looked at them outside the 2" LCD on the camera, I honestly don't know. It's been a little crazy around here. Well, it always is with a grip of busy kids (two preschool twins and two tween big bros) and my F/T school.

Seeing the machines side by side, with the displays on the stock ATI color and Intel color, no calibration, this Samsung was much more lifelike. The AUO was green-ish. I'm not sure if you remember ACTUAL film but it would be like comparing well developed Kodak with Fuji. Kodak had better tones in general. Fuji was excellent for landscape, nature, and served alright for regular photos but didn't have that lifelike color. The colors on this seem to have the right blue for the sky, the right red in a good sunrise, the right purple of an amethyst (actually, the purples are incredible!). Given the same images on both screens, the whites on this look white, not dull, not yellow, not green. Just crisp, bright, true white. Natural settings seem true to color, as do faces, digital fantasy art, etc...And black is truly black. All images are sharp and crisp when they should be and softened when the effect should be there. Also, I notice that reading outside in the shade is better on this screen. I keep and antiglare on it because I do tend to work and study on it out of doors while my little ones play, but I had the same antiglare on both screens (photodon).

The multiple AUO debate seems to indicate that there were at least two AUO builds. There is a video, I believe, made by another forum member of two reported by PCWizard to be AUO side by side. At least one other member has had multiple AUO machines and has indicated that there was a difference. Wacom contracts for the building of these screens and then ships them to HP. Not terribly hard to imagine that there are different "lots" and that small variations occur in runs due to manufacturing tolerances in the materials used or in a chance of subvendor for one or more components that went into building these layered screens.

I can't say that mine is better for sure than others. I can say that as a matter of personal preference, I like it better. Photos especially looked more like my kids, instead of looking like I needed to adjust the color saturation and hues in editing.

Viewing angles: they all kind of suck. I mean, I have gotten used to them and they don't bother me so much (maybe because I've never had a cadillac of screens ). Interestingly, the AUO screen had different viewing angle issues than the Samsung, to wit: particular colors looked different on the two machines from the same angle. Honestly I can't remember which colors faded fastest to black from various angles on each screen, but I did end up preferring the Samsung in that regard for more horizontal work. I find I adjust the screen less. I wasn't able to get a video of the two machines like that. I wish I had.

So if you want to know your screen, first run PCWizard 2010. It will identify it and I'm confident that it will return the screen that you actually have. That will not give you a part number, however. I think that there are utilities that can help with it. Again, with any luck, my pics might have something that would help identify for you. I can't look now, but I certainly will later.

Hope any of this helps!

**EDIT**

Quote Originally Posted by pcaddict66 View Post
    Just go to device mgr. Open up the display tree. You should see generic monitor. Double click it. Click the details tab then in the 'property' dropdownbox click on hardware id. Mine is the AOU9514.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscottmommy View Post
    Mine is SEC4D41. I know from my tear-down that it says Samsung on the back of the panel. Cool tool!
    Last edited by tscottmommy; 05-02-2010 at 04:13 AM.
    HP TouchSmart TM2-1000 CTO ~ Ordered: 2/24/2010, Shipped 3/6/2010

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (HP)
    Intel Core 2 Duo SU9600 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate SATA HD
    12.1" diagonal Samsung (1280x800) with Integrated Touch-screen
    Webcam + Fingerprint Reader, Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulacawa View Post
    After I uninstalled the previous sound driver I was able to install the new one...now the mute red light actually works for my tm2 (it didnt before)
    I did the same thing and the update works great, so does the light...thanks for the reminder!

Intel Core 2 Duo SU9600 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Graphics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Updated TM2 Drivers and Software (Updated 5/1/2010)

From the New Users Guide/Updated Drivers:

Quote Originally Posted by corecomps View Post
    =========
    Touch Smart Software
    =========
    Full software but doesn't install easily, you must use 7zip or similar tool to extract the installer
    http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/download/file/2697-30
    Photo Music and Video Installer File:
    HP TouchSmart Music/Photo/Video Application Update HP TouchSmart IQ804 Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (Caribbean - English)

HP now has Touchsmart Apps for Photos and Music at the TM2 update site:

Last edited by tscottmommy; 05-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.

My friends call me Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by tscottmommy View Post
    Thanks for the rep. As I understand it, each time a poster is "repped", it shows up on your User CP. Each rep does not equate to a point, however. I honestly can't say I understand the system one bit, but then again I've never gone looking for an answer, which I'm sure is lurking somewhere.

How do I know I have the Samsung screen? Well, since that has been the subject of some debate (and the tear apart pics were of an AUO-sporting machine), I'll gladly clarify. PC Wizard 2010 is a great (and free) little utility. It initially reported my screen as a Samsung. However, since there others who were not sure that the part coding actually meant Samsung, I was pleased to find when I tore into the machines (this one and the would-have-been-replacement-turned-parts-donor) that the back of the screen says Samsung...loud and clear. I think I have some pics still in my camera. If I get a chance to upload them, edit them and post them to photobucket, I'll edit this post to include them. This one is a Samsung, the replacement had an AUO. I may have gotten lucky enough to get a good shot of the part numbers, but since my camera sucks and I haven't actually looked at them outside the 2" LCD on the camera, I honestly don't know. It's been a little crazy around here. Well, it always is with a grip of busy kids (two preschool twins and two tween big bros) and my F/T school.

Seeing the machines side by side, with the displays on the stock ATI color and Intel color, no calibration, this Samsung was much more lifelike. The AUO was green-ish. I'm not sure if you remember ACTUAL film but it would be like comparing well developed Kodak with Fuji. Kodak had better tones in general. Fuji was excellent for landscape, nature, and served alright for regular photos but didn't have that lifelike color. The colors on this seem to have the right blue for the sky, the right red in a good sunrise, the right purple of an amethyst (actually, the purples are incredible!). Given the same images on both screens, the whites on this look white, not dull, not yellow, not green. Just crisp, bright, true white. Natural settings seem true to color, as do faces, digital fantasy art, etc...And black is truly black. All images are sharp and crisp when they should be and softened when the effect should be there. Also, I notice that reading outside in the shade is better on this screen. I keep and antiglare on it because I do tend to work and study on it out of doors while my little ones play, but I had the same antiglare on both screens (photodon).

The multiple AUO debate seems to indicate that there were at least two AUO builds. There is a video, I believe, made by another forum member of two reported by PCWizard to be AUO side by side. At least one other member has had multiple AUO machines and has indicated that there was a difference. Wacom contracts for the building of these screens and then ships them to HP. Not terribly hard to imagine that there are different "lots" and that small variations occur in runs due to manufacturing tolerances in the materials used or in a chance of subvendor for one or more components that went into building these layered screens.

I can't say that mine is better for sure than others. I can say that as a matter of personal preference, I like it better. Photos especially looked more like my kids, instead of looking like I needed to adjust the color saturation and hues in editing.

Viewing angles: they all kind of suck. I mean, I have gotten used to them and they don't bother me so much (maybe because I've never had a cadillac of screens ). Interestingly, the AUO screen had different viewing angle issues than the Samsung, to wit: particular colors looked different on the two machines from the same angle. Honestly I can't remember which colors faded fastest to black from various angles on each screen, but I did end up preferring the Samsung in that regard for more horizontal work. I find I adjust the screen less. I wasn't able to get a video of the two machines like that. I wish I had.

So if you want to know your screen, first run PCWizard 2010. It will identify it and I'm confident that it will return the screen that you actually have. That will not give you a part number, however. I think that there are utilities that can help with it. Again, with any luck, my pics might have something that would help identify for you. I can't look now, but I certainly will later.

Hope any of this helps!

**EDIT**
    Teri, you are just amazing! I found this after I asked you to PM me the basic info because I couldnt find the thread this was in. I do, in fact, have the AUO9514. Is it your impression that the Samsung screens are a thing of the past for the TM2, or do they still seem to be alternating randomly. I would NEVER describe my screen as providing anything but washed out, under-saturated, way less than natural colors. Your description of the Samsung make it sound like - apart from those pesky viewing angles - one of the better screens around in the consumer notebook space, much less the touchscreen segment. I live with this screen because for me it is a means to an end - information, sound, fun stuff, rather than an end in itself - ie, watching videos for entertainment. Disappointment, but relatively minor given all the special features and purposes for this computer. So frustrating to think that luck of the draw would so dramatically change this rather important aspect of the user experience. Surprising too, in that I heard the Tx2 screens were all grainy and icky. So close, yet so far, from getting it all right!

While on the subject, I wonder about two things:

1) anyone know why the Intel GMA control panel is the very old, outdated version with a crappier UI and fewer adjustment options?

2) how do I increase color saturation on either gpu other than when using a video player? I find the only controls are brightness, contrast and gamma, and that you can either use them for all colors simultaneously, ie, the "normal" way, or you can choose to use them separately for R, G and B. I have tried to fiddle with the brightness and contrast controls with different colors chosen in order to increase color saturation and still have a normal balance, but no cigar.

The two most frustrating things for me about this computer are the inability to fine tune video and audio settings. Was so disappointed to find that, despite having SRS audio, the controls are toy-like compared to what I can do on my HP dv8t with nVidia GT 230 and SRS audio. Any "secret keys" to unlock here?
    Tablets: Samsung Note 8 Wacom, 8"IPS (almost perfect, but Android), Nexus 7 2 2013 (for sale), iPad 3 (sold), Nook HD (dead), Former tablet PCs: HP 2740p/2730p, Fujitsu T730, others..
    HP Spectre 13T-300013: IPS QHD, Haswell i7, 8GB, 256GB, get this: $1,050 w/all discounts!
    Sony VPC-Z13 13" Core i7-640M, nVidia 330M, 8GB, 256GB RAID0, 900p, every port in the universe! 3 lbs. Trully legendary; one to keep til it dies. Also, Sony VPC-Z22, , same specs but i7-2640,FHD,2.5 lbs,worse ergnomics.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dgitalchaos View Post
    Where are you located? Do you really need a clean install? If you boot up your computer and press F11, it should take you to recovery where you can select "Minimized Recovery". Not too sure what that means, but I assume it has less software installed.

Are you upgrading to a Windows 7 Pro or better? Or are you having problems.
    It might just be easier and more effective if you just uninstall unnecessary programs from your computer.
    For those of us not so tech savvy, it's hard to know which software is necessary, which of the 8 or so programs that have DVD in the name you really need to play a DVD and so on. So I would rather have a way do an install or recovery that I'm sure the machine will run with basic functions, and then add other things to it.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Updated TM2 Drivers and Software (Updated 5/1/2010)

Hi
    How can I get the last version of HP touchsmart tm2 drivers for windows 8?
    Specially for rotation driver and Wacom pen.
    Thanks

Thread Information