Angry Birds won't run because the GMA500 doesn't support OpenGL...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Angry Birds won't run because the GMA500 doesn't support OpenGL...

FYI: For those of you trying to run Angry Birds on thier Slate.

I recieved the following response from Rovio support...

"it seems that Intel's GMA 500 graphics adapters do not officially support OpenGL at all, so the game tries to launch using the Microsoft Rasterizer, which only supports OpenGL 1.1. OpenGL 1.3 would be required to run the game. We have been in contact with Intel to solve the problem, but unfortunately at the moment we do not have a solution for this issue."

HP Addict

Default Re: Angry Birds won't run because the GMA500 doesn't support OpenGL...

Oh man I'm canceling my order and getting an iPad right now..... ;-)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

you can install a driver that has better openGL support but supports only dirextx 8.x
    search for gma 500 opengl

Care for a bite?

Quote Originally Posted by TWACK View Post
    Oh man I'm canceling my order and getting an iPad right now..... ;-)
    heeheehee....
    Toshiba M700|3GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Samsung Q1U-V|2GB RAM|60GB HD|Win7 HP
    Gigabyte T1028X|2GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Velocity Micro Cruz|Android Slate
    HP Slate 500|2GB RAM|64GB SSD|Win7 Pro
    Viewsonic Viewpad 7|Android 7" Slate/Phone
    Samsung Series 7 Slate|4GB RAM|128GB SSD
    ASUS Transformer Prime|32GB
    Samsung Note 10.1|32GB

IT Professional

I've finally got Angry birds working on my Slate 500. Futzed around with the drivers found at these links. IEGD drivers can be installed using the setup file. Install the XP drivers manually via device manager. (DO NOT run the setup files included with the Win XP drivers in Win 7).

Drivers for GMA500 with OpenGL support - Niuki Lair

Custom Intel GMA 500 XP Drivers for Netbooks | NGCoders - Next Generation Coders

One more thing, Aero does not work with these drivers.

EDIT: Angry brids ceased working with my hacked driver set today. Now it gives a different error when starting. That error has been reported on several other graphics adapters besiades Intel's. It appears to be showing up on systems using ATI and Nvida chipsets.

There's now an experimental driver on Intel's web site that shows promise. It's called the IMGD driver for Intel Media Graphics Display adapters. That driver actually allows Angry Birds to run better on a GMA 500 adapter than my hack did, but it messes up the display for everything else.

Yes, Intel needs to break out the warchest to do whatever is required to get OpenGL 2.0 support added to the GMA 500 driver set, but with problems now being reported by some users with ATI and Nvida graphics adapters, Rovio needs to put energy into fixing some bugs in the their application.

TTB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think they are working on it. I read somewhere in the intel forums that they should have a new driver available mid-summer. Also, Oak trail uses the same gpu running at twice the mhz.

Wait and Hope.

Now that Intel and NVIDIA have made nice (at least in public), maybe they can get some help in improving the capability of the drivers for the integrated GPUs, which have been fairly underwhelming. Open GL support is a must. Ideally, a new driver would permit the HD 500 to operate at the same clocks as the HD 600, since they share the same core (just dreaming!).

If the GPU could run faster with the new drivers, I would bet that SetFSB could significantly increase the clock speeds on the Z540 atom. I am running the atom at 2.25 ghz since I installed the latest bios. I think speeds up to 2.5 ghz would be attainable if the IGPU did not bottleneck (and the temps stayed in a decent range). I would like the extra speed.

Bronsky
    Last edited by Bronsky; 02-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I don't think that they can increase the gma500 clock speed without overheating because it sits on the us15w chipset, which is 130nm lithography. Oak trail has the gpu on the processor die, which is 45nm.
    Last edited by thadwald; 02-05-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Systems Analyst

Has there been anything new on this. I'm a bit jealous of a fellow employee who just loaded AngryBirds on his Xoom and of course the iPad2 works with it well as well.

Not into playing games much... but....
    HP Slate 500 TabletPC
    Toshiba NB205 Netbook
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Samsung SCH-LC11 4G Hotspot

Forum Users HP Slate Order Status Page
    New Additions to the status page have been halted. Thanks for your positive comments about it!.

Scribbler - Standard Member

no pun intended but i only found out what angry birds is from this thread.
    ive been playing msn games like zuma etc. the other games i play are SC2 and world in conflict, mass effect, dead space, nfs. games that utilize my quaddro 3700 fx and 580gtx

Thread Information