HP Slate Alternatives - Page 25

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 142 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HP Slate Alternatives

Care for a bite?

Default re: HP Slate Alternatives

I watched the Keynote and all I can say is - Windows 8 on ARM has to be THE stupidest idea to come out of Redmond. They already HAVE a version of Windows on ARM - Windows CE.

And what market is this targeting? They showed it running Office 2010. So you get a scaled down device running full windows software - what apps? People will either simply recompile their existing Windows apps to ARM - which means it won't be particularly redesigned for slates, or they'll go 'which platform to support - ARM with almost no units - or Intel which runs on a billion computers, laptops, Tablet PCs and slates?'

If the idea is support .NET and so have portable apps - again, we can do that now with WinCE 7. Why reinvent the wheel?

Sorry, I really think this will prove to be an epic fail.
    Toshiba M700|3GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Samsung Q1U-V|2GB RAM|60GB HD|Win7 HP
    Gigabyte T1028X|2GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Velocity Micro Cruz|Android Slate
    HP Slate 500|2GB RAM|64GB SSD|Win7 Pro
    Viewsonic Viewpad 7|Android 7" Slate/Phone
    Samsung Series 7 Slate|4GB RAM|128GB SSD
    ASUS Transformer Prime|32GB
    Samsung Note 10.1|32GB

Care for a bite?

Quote Originally Posted by heatlesssun View Post
    Once Microsoft get the touch UI presented and an SDK rolled out, yeah, game changer without question. Android is cool but I think this is a reality check. Android is becoming a freeking mess and a clean standard Windows that supports x86 and ARM just can't be ignored. This is a GREAT time to be a .Net developer as .NET is FINALLY replacing the Win32 API as the Windows API of choice. Now doubt the next version of Visual Studio will support tageting to ARM and for a lot of stuff all that'll you need to do is a simple recompile at the most. Might not even have to do that as .NET bytecode can compile on the fly.
    Unless you're P/Invoking to a Windows API that's on one and not on the other, then .Net IL will run on any platform that has all the assemblies required.

HOWEVER - as someone who's done a LOT of .Net CF development (the version of .Net that runs on ARM on Windows Mobile/Windows CE) - unless MSFT has done a LOT to improve it - or unless they expect you to develop ON ARM systems - it's a VERY painful experience.
    Toshiba M700|3GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Samsung Q1U-V|2GB RAM|60GB HD|Win7 HP
    Gigabyte T1028X|2GB RAM|250GB HD|Win7 HP
    Velocity Micro Cruz|Android Slate
    HP Slate 500|2GB RAM|64GB SSD|Win7 Pro
    Viewsonic Viewpad 7|Android 7" Slate/Phone
    Samsung Series 7 Slate|4GB RAM|128GB SSD
    ASUS Transformer Prime|32GB
    Samsung Note 10.1|32GB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by acerbic View Post
    Are you really not unsure that there isn't no reason not to believe the Motion will not have non-replaceable batteries?
    Lol!No he isn`t not unsure

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

I see a lot of folks posting that they are tired of waiting for the Slate 500 and will therefore be buying an Asus EP121 instead. To those of you thinking about doing this please keep your needs in mind while exploring other options. If you were interested in the Slate 500 for its size, weight, and abilities then you will likely be unhappy with a larger unit.

In other words, weigh the decision carefully in light of what you needed/wanted out of a device. Just getting it quicker is not a very good reason! Be careful!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Wait and Hope.

I have a feeling that the Asus thread will look a lot like this one in a few weeks.

Bronsky
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

HP Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    I have a feeling that the Asus thread will look a lot like this one in a few weeks.

Bronsky
    I agree.

It might call for another version of "IT Guru" wanting his slate for CES 2012.

Long time tablet PC user

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    I see a lot of folks posting that they are tired of waiting for the Slate 500 and will therefore be buying an Asus EP121 instead. To those of you thinking about doing this please keep your needs in mind while exploring other options. If you were interested in the Slate 500 for its size, weight, and abilities then you will likely be unhappy with a larger unit.

In other words, weigh the decision carefully in light of what you needed/wanted out of a device. Just getting it quicker is not a very good reason! Be careful!
    Great point. The Asus is nearly twice the size of the Slate 500 (12.3x8.2x0.7 vs. 9.2x5.9x0.6) and nearly 75% heavier. If you need a laptop replacement then the Asus looks to be a good choice. If however you value portability, holding it with one hand to read, etc., the HP looks better.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

It looks like there will be three Netbook Navigator Win 7 Slates to peer at today at CES; the Nav7 (7"), Nav 9 (8.9"), and Nav 10 (10.1"). Unfortunately none appear to have an active digitizer so....out of contention as far as I am concerned.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Scribbler - Standard Member

For me usability is about more than size and weight. Responsiveness is a huge factor. I love the size and shape of the Slate 500, but the internals seem a bit underpowered and laggy for my personal uses - not terrible, but noticable. I plan to have typically have Outlook open all the time, a browser window, onenote, and Acrobat reader. Can the Slate 500 do that without being laggy?

On the other hand, the EP121 is huge. It's big and probably a lot more distracting in meetings than the smaller HP. But it looks like it's snappy enough to handle my typical workflow - especially with 4GB RAM. It's pricey, but people are paying nearly this price for Slates on ebay.

So for me it's a close race right now. Asus has entered the market with the intent to sell EP121's to consumers - so their supply lines should be a lot more responsive. HP has always billed the Slate as a side project for enterprise users and it was killed and resurrected a few times - so I understand their low supply. So the EP121 will likely be a lot more available, or at least latecommers like me have an opportunity to be at the front of the line rather than stuck with a guaranteed 6 week wait.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Please, we will not fight together. 6 months ago we have no slates on the radar, now we have many. Real slates with pen. And two technologies instead of only one. And to extreme size 9" and 12" and probably soon middle size of 10". People who have the slate 500 love it. People who will have the Ep121 will love it too, like I love my TM2 that I use as a slate all the day (yes 2 Kilos always with me).
    So come on.
    HP TM2-1000 (feb 2010)
    HP Slate 500 (March 2011)
    Asus EEE Slate EP121 (March 2011)
    Samsung Ativ 500T (nov 2012)
    2 x Asus VivoTab Note 8 (jan 2014 and march 2014)

Thread Information