First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Just some simple unboxing pics for now, I'm getting a flood of requests for information, 10,000 foot overview, solid device. Inking for handwriting recognition works well, it's pretty fast and web browsing in IE 8 works great. A LOT more to come, hold tight!

Intresting packaging, two empty boxes in on either side:

Video Review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBa_95nJukQ

12/2/10
    One correction that I figured out after I posted this and I need to add an annotation to the video, you don't need TouchControl on the Slate as the N-trig driver supports dual mode where the pen AUTOMATICALLY disables touch and to re-enabled touch all you have to do is double tap with your finger anywhere on the screen.

Overall the inking experience is good but there are a couple of quirks as I mention in the video with spurious clicks and pen jumps when running on battery. I've seen the same behavior on the HP tx2 that also has an N-trig digitizer. It's a little annoying but I don't think that it's a major issue at the moment at least.

If other Slate users confirm that that see this problem I'd love to hear from you.

12/1/10
    Sorry to disappoint you but is my first post from the 500 with the pen! It is not quite as good overall as the tm2 but it's pretty solid, very much like that tx2.

It also is a little more sensitive in terms of palm rejection but not too bad, once again not as good as the tm2.

A few early observations. Inking can be a little tricky in automatic mode so I've installed TouchControl for extended inking sessions. The device can get a little warm while charging, nothing uncomfortable just on the warm side. But the speed and accuracy of the pen is pretty good, this device will I think serve it's purpose as a note taker well, just got Office installed and about to fire up OneNote.

Trying to answer questions in no particular order:

1. Performance: Seems to be very solid get's a 2.7 on the CPU but oddly only a 5.2 on this hard drive, I'll retest that. I'm synchinh my OneNote notebooks now, pretty big it's going to take a while longer before the machine frees up

2. The Pen: Good news bad news, the pen works pretty well but in auto mode the palm rejection doesn't seem that great. There's a little 3rd party add that many of you are familar with called TouchControl, I use it as well on my tm2. If you start an extended inking session you want to use that. Now I've not calibrated it yet so it might be better but out of the box the accuracy of both pen and touch is great. On other note about the pen, it's very easy to hit the mouse button and it does seem to skip a bit while using the TIP but not in OneNote, nothing bad and as I said turing of touch will inking improves the experience considerably. Yes, it does use a battery as the pics show but it is a comfortable pen, I think it's going to be a great note taker.

Update:

A little bad news to report about the pen. I'm getting false clicks on a regular basis, I've seer this issue with other non-Wacom tablets I've had in the past like the tx2 but it's intermittent. I'm putting in a call to HP shortly.

Kind of a bummer as everything else about the unit is sweet.

Without the physically touching the screen ink will be generated. After some calibrating and resetting the pen it seems to be better. I'm inking a lot with it now and will report back as I'm going to ink some work documents and see how that goes. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update 2:
    The pen seems to have settled down as well. Streaming my recorded TV from Media Center works great. I hope to have my first video review up this evening, one more real work task I need to get done first but I'm feeling a little better now as I've inked the hell out of and overall pretty good but still a little weirdness.

The pen is still quirky, the clicking issue is much better but now I'm seeing a jittery pen problem which is another well documented problem with active pens.

3: Battery: it's still charging, seems to charge slowing but them I'm doing a bunch of installs so nothing on that yet.

Update:
    Some good news to report about the battery life. Looks like HP was honest. Been on battery since 2:40 PM EST using the device for inking and browsing with the device going to sleep a couple of times for about five minutes over the last almost 3 hours and the battery is at 57% and I'm at 70% brightness. If the pen issues get sorted out this machine will be awesome.

Some more good news. It does indeed appear that HP was honest about the battery life. I'm going on 4.5 hours of near continuous inking and web browsing and my battery is at 20% still!

It looks like HP was honest about the battery life at least when it comes to general usage, I got right at 5 hours inking, web browsing and doing other desktop activities. Didn't do a lot of video play back but I'd say that it looks like HP was being honest for the most part.

4: Screen: Not bad, not the iPad but solid viewing angles, works well in all orientations though some a better than others.

The oddest this of all about this device is the silent and fanless design, it's DEAD silent. Does mean that it does get warmer especially while charging but not close to hot or uncomfortable and it should be that 5 hours of battery life should be realistic.

Tons more to do I know, I'll try to keep it coming!

But this is a GREAT device make no mistake about it however the pen may be a weak link. Not unusable but not top notch either.
    Last edited by DRTigerlilly; 12-02-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    HP Slate 500
    Toshiba Libretto W100
    ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here!

Thank you! keep em coming. Its the only thing that keeps me going since I got another delay email today....

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Any chance you could run Speccy on the slate (Speccy - System Information - Free Download) and post the results? I'd love to see the details of the HW.

John

Comic Relief

Quote Originally Posted by heatlesssun View Post
    ...Intresting packaging, two empty boxes in on either side...
    Yeah - right - fess up, YOU bought the first 5,000 didn't you!
    http://www.convertibletabletreview.com/
    BEAST (15.6" Acer Aspire V7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD) plus ThinkPad Tablet 2 LTE

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by heatlesssun View Post
    Just some simple unboxing pics for now, I'm getting a flood of requests for information, 10,000 foot overview, solid device. Inking for handwriting recognition works well, it's pretty fast and web browsing in IE 8 works great. A LOT more to come, hold tight!

Intresting packaging, two empty boxes in on either side:

Oh, you are teasing us.

Comic Relief

Quote Originally Posted by Mhotep View Post
    Oh, you are teasing us.
    His name was Gypsy Rose Lee in a prior life.

PS - are those boxes and inserts eerily Applesque or is it just my imagination?
    Last edited by dstrauss; 12-01-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    BEAST (15.6" Acer Aspire V7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD) plus ThinkPad Tablet 2 LTE

Pen Pro - Senior Member

tease

Gateway C-140X T7300, ATI GPU
    Order Date: 08/26/2007 Delivered: 9/28/2007
    HP Slate 500
    Order Date: 10/22/2010 Delivered:12/28/2010 Ship Date: 12/27/2010...

Wait and Hope.

OMG an hour between posts ... Fail!
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Asus M80TA - Failsafe Point +10

Comic Relief

OK - did we scare him away...or did the boss put him in the time out corner?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

A few early observations. Inking can be a little tricky in automatic mode so I've installed TouchControl for extended inking sessions. The device can get a little warm while charging, nothing uncomfortable just on the warm side. But the speed and accuracy of the pen is pretty good, this device will I think serve it's purpose as a note taker well, just got Office installed and about to fire up OneNote.
    Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    HP Slate 500
    Toshiba Libretto W100
    ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Thread Information