HP Envy X2 owners' discussion - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 766
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

  1. #31
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    I meant more, are we certain that the Envy is Atmel? It wouldn't surprise me if the Elitepad was Atmel, but HP "pen" for the Envy was a crappy capacitive thing akin to the 5 quid junk things you get off eBay, and the Envy had no "real" stylus support.

    Those more up on stylii than I - is there any obvious place I could look in Device Manager to determine touchscreen stylus support?
    If you go into Computer Properties, it says if the PC has touch and/or pen input in the System section.

  2. #32
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    The Envy X2 looks promising, but I am concerned about two things. First, while the promotions say a stylus is an option, there doesn't seem to be any way to order one. Second, I am concerned about the "magnetic" connection of the tablet to the keyboard. Does the electrical connection have male/female pins or is it just contact between two surfaces?

    Thanks for any info, Jim

  3. #33
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Keyboard docking is beautiful. Two magnetic slabs that guide connection to a bespoke connector. As someone who's had a Transformer Prime and the more recent Samsung 700T, the HP is by far the best docking arrangement.

  4. #34
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Keyboard docking is beautiful. Two magnetic slabs that guide connection to a bespoke connector. As someone who's had a Transformer Prime and the more recent Samsung 700T, the HP is by far the best docking arrangement.
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am not familiar with "bespoke" Does that mean a male/female connection?

    Thanks, Jim

  5. #35
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    "Bespoke" is a term that originally applied to clothing - it means "made to measure". So a bespoke suit is one that is made specifically for the wearer, rather than that person buying a mass-produced suit "off the peg". See Bespoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In this case, Loccy is saying that the docking connector is one that has been designed and built by HP specifically for the Envy X2, rather than HP using a standard connector that may be found elsewhere.

  6. #36
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post
    "Bespoke" is a term that originally applied to clothing - it means "made to measure". So a bespoke suit is one that is made specifically for the wearer, rather than that person buying a mass-produced suit "off the peg". See Bespoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In this case, Loccy is saying that the docking connector is one that has been designed and built by HP specifically for the Envy X2, rather than HP using a standard connector that may be found elsewhere.
    Thanks for the definition. My question remains, is the connection male/female pins or just surface to surface?

    Thanks, Jim

  7. #37
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    Thanks for the definition. My question remains, is the connection male/female pins or just surface to surface?

    Thanks, Jim
    There are two holes in the tablet and, in the middle, a bespoke (female) connector. On the keyboard, there are two slabs and the (male) connection. The slabs are magnetic so guide the connection when you're making it. When docked it locks and you can't undock it without unlocking it. Having had several dockable devices this really is a well engineered mechanism.

  8. #38
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    There are two holes in the tablet and, in the middle, a bespoke (female) connector. On the keyboard, there are two slabs and the (male) connection. The slabs are magnetic so guide the connection when you're making it. When docked it locks and you can't undock it without unlocking it. Having had several dockable devices this really is a well engineered mechanism.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation.

    Regards, Jim

  9. #39
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    This, from a HP Blogger at CES:


    "two things:

    First, I had a chance to chat up a couple people during CES and got the full picture on what is happening with the active digitizer. That's right, I can officially tell you that it is an ACTIVE DIGITIZER pen that will be available for the ENVY x2. It should be available soon (ish) -- that's the news on that front.



    Second, to your question about NFC. it's built into Windows 8...so it's up to app writers / hardware makers to put 2 + 2 together. As for one example, I happen to have an NFC mouse. I tapped the screen to pair it and - boom - it just works."

  10. #40
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

    " It should be available soon (ish)"

    That statement (presumably from an HP person) hardly fills me with confidence...

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1