HP Envy X2 owners' discussion - Page 33

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

net
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Yes, they probably thought it would be too confusing to have two power buttons. Some people would get confused when the keyboard didn't work or if the battery didn't charge because it was turned off.
    To be seamless, there would have to be some way to shutdown both from one switch..

Scribbler - Standard Member

Anybody know if the wifi issues have been fixed? I am still having issues with getting a decent signal even when the router is within 10 feet of the device. It works fine with a USB wifi dongle though.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Adding a power button on the keyboard would have driven up costs and over complicated the design. Honestly I bet 9 outta 10 people will never notice the details of how the batteries in both devices work together. And 9 outta 10 of those will likely not give it a 2nd thought.

It was a design decision... the focus is on the tablet and the generally accepted usage pattern for these is to 'just let them sleep' because of how effective the new connected standby sleep setting is. This is pretty much the ONLY way people use ipads, I can't remember the last time I actually turned my ipad off.

Its just people coming from PC laptops that are used to having to watch their battery every second that really just need to re-learn the old way of doing things. Ive left mine asleep for over 24hrs and the batteries stayed at 100%. Just as changes in ultrabook chipsets made sleep the mode of choice over hibernate, sleep is the mode of choice here as well. As power management continues to improve this will become more and more the case. Haswell will bring this functionality to the i series chips later this year.

With S0iX enabled across all platforms (well at least when Haswell is released), powering off will be a thing of the past, people and more importantly IT departments will need to adjust to the new era of computing.
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Vatuka case review

Quite a few folks are looking for a good case for the X2. Thanks to slightly irregular size of the tablet and the protruding hinge, finding a quality case that would hug this hybrid is not an easy task. Enter Vatuka. Crafted in Sweden, made and shipped from Korea, this case provides complete notebook protection with 8mm EVA layer for shock absorption, high quality suede interior to avoid scratches, YKK two-way zipper and elastic bands to keep it attached to X2 at all times. Case comes in several color variants and two textures: PU or Leather.

I ordered the case at eBay here from the power seller with 98% satisfaction rate, which is about as high as it comes on eBay. As I mentioned, the case was shipped from Korea by Korea Air Post and took 9 quick days to be delivered to our door by US Post Service. It's definitely, not the cheapest case I have ever ordered, but it shines quality and workmanship both closed and open. The leather surface (leatherette to be precise ) is soft to touch but I need to produce quite a lot of pressure to press my fingers into the cover and compress EVA protection layer inside. I also travel quite a lot and know firsthand how valuable it is to be able to work on a laptop without removing it from the case when you are sitting on a narrow chair at airport gate waiting for your boarding. From this perspective, this case delivers. As you can see from the pictures below, there are four straps that attach to the bottom of the keyboard dock and top of the display.

With X2, you need both hands to open the lid and this remains true with the case. Since the hinge tends to pull dock up and away from you as you normally open X2, you want to keep it steady as you pull the display up in order to ensure that laptop remains centered in the case and straps do not slip off. The very first time I opened the case with X2 inside, the keyboard dock came detached form the case but once I figured out how laptop sits in the case, all subsequent opening and closures went without a hitch.

You can open the case as far as X2 would allow for a more convenient viewing angles when viewing from above, as when you keep laptop on your lap while sitting. If you want to work with X2 in tablet mode, it's very easy to remove display from the dock, zip the case with the dock inside and put it away. Reverse operation is just as effortless, giving you best of both modes.

One thing that I noticed when examining the case is how much thought was put in the design of the zippers. Basically, there is no chance that you would scratch sides of laptop when it is in the case. Zippers never touch X2 and it is enveloped by the EVA layer all around. When case is closed, it hugs laptop on all four sides with very slight gap at the back of laptop, where the sides of the dock don't quite reach the corners of the case due to the aforementioned hinge. Exact dimensions of the case are 30.5x21x2.3 cm, or for us, metrically challenged folks in US 12'' x 8.3' x 1''.

So look at the pictures, ask me any questions you have about the case and hopefully it will help you narrow your selection, as this wonderful hybrid definitely deserves some pampering.

Name:  IMG_0535.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0540.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0542.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  64.8 KB

P.S. My cat said Hi and gave 4 paws up to the Vatuka case.

Looks like a really nice case, especially the zipper part so it doesn't scratch the laptop on the inside.

I take it yours is the leather version? Is it actual leather or some kind of fake leather?
    Would you happen to know what the PU cases are made of?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Amplificator View Post
    Looks like a really nice case, especially the zipper part so it doesn't scratch the laptop on the inside.

I take it yours is the leather version? Is it actual leather or some kind of fake leather?
    Would you happen to know what the PU cases are made of?
    Thanks,

my case is leatherette (faux leather) in biege color. Having said that, leatherette quality have come quite a long way in the past 2-3 years, so I have no doubts that it will outlive the laptop and will be easy to care for. Can't say much about PU surface, but hopefully you can judge it from the images available at the eBay link in my post.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

In my hunt for a case for my x2 I ordered a Case Logic SSMA-313 slip case from amazon. Its similar to the thule gauntlet case but the velcro is attached to the case better and the design is a bit different using geometric patterns to accent the case.

The case comes in 11.6" and 13.3" sizes but the 11.6" is about 1/2" too short for the x2 which is somewhat oversized for an 11.6. So I got the 13.3" version of the case.

It arrived today, and so far i'm pleased. It fits in the case pretty well, there is a little bit of play but not enough that its going to be bouncing around in there and a little play is useful in allowing you to put it in the case or take it back out in a hurry. The case features welded seams and is water resistant in case of spills.

An update to my earlier sound issue. The "pop" seems to be universal and probably is a driver issue. I returned mine to Staples for a refund, thinking I might hold off until HP addresses it. After digging around on the internet for the answer to the differences in model numbers, I stumbled upon the G-012nr at Microsoft's online store and decided to buy it. Got it in a couple of days and love it. It does have 800mhz speed memory, the guys at the store said it was a part of the HP-Microsoft store deal to have the faster ram. According to the service manual, there are many different screens that can be installed as replacement parts, so who knows what the screen on a given model may be. My batteries do the same thing in sleep mode...100%, but if you turn it off the keyboard battery slowly drains.

Thread Information