HP Envy X2 owners' discussion - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, talking of Samsung BIOS updates, the reason I'm merrily writing this from HPland is because the Samsung 700T I originally had bricked following a BIOS update!

One thing I will say though - for my money the trackpad on the Envy is tons better than the Samsung (I am referring to the 700 not the 500, but can't see how they'd differ much). Coming from a MacBook Air with the glorious trackpad and gestures that has, I haven't felt too lost. The killer gesture for me is a decent two finger scroll action which is better on the Envy than the Sammy (IMHO). I will also trade a second battery for a couple of mm of keyboard travel.

The issue with losing the trackpad is solved by a quick dock/undock. Most of these devices seem to have niggles. The Acer W510 trackpad is getting savaged on their boards (one touch only, awful accuracy - this is what finally put me off waiting for it), the higher end Acer has a bizarre form factor, there are the BIOS bricks on the Samsung 700T at least (I'm not the only one, apparently) and the occasional trackpad death on the Envy. I also lost rotation earlier on, fixed by a reboot. Price of early adoption I suppose. I suspect the Asus would really have been my perfect device, but am not holding my breath on UK availability any time soon.

All that said, after almost a fortnight with the Envy I'm really happy with it - much more so than I was with the 700T even before it bricked. In fairness the 700T was the wrong device for me. The appeal of i5 performance outweighed practical considerations like weight as a tablet and battery life. It was a blessing in disguise that it bricked and I could get a full refund.

The Envy has now replaced every mobile device and use case I have other than my phone. Kick back and waste time mode (aka Metro) works nicely - device is nice and light and eminently holdable for casual browsing and video, even reading news on the bundled Metro app (which is very nice - although a Win8 thing rather than an HP thing). Clip on the keyboard and I can get coding in short order. I've had some protracted (three hour-ish) coding and doc writing sessions since having it and found it perfectly acceptable. It's exactly what I wanted out of a hybrid device - actually what I hoped for with the Transformer Prime but the community never did get Ubuntu into a usable state on it.

Happy player here - until at least an Intel Surface comes out with 7 hours or more battery life.
    Last edited by Loccy; 01-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Default Re: HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

I was playing around with an Envy x2 in PC World Newcastle today and I found I could draw in MS Paint with my finger, just doodling thin lines and thick lines. Does this mean that Envy inking would work if you could find a compatible pen?

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the stylus? I've read around these forums that it's not wacom or ntrig so I'm a bit concerned about it performing like a capacitive stylus would on a regular tablet. Although I wouldn't be doing art on it, being able to write on the screen more accurately than with a capacitive stylus would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_00 View Post
    Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the stylus? I've read around these forums that it's not wacom or ntrig so I'm a bit concerned about it performing like a capacitive stylus would on a regular tablet. Although I wouldn't be doing art on it, being able to write on the screen more accurately than with a capacitive stylus would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
    There is no stylus bundled with the device. There is apparently support for a mystery stylus which HP have yet to release or to give details of. *shrug*

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    There is no stylus bundled with the device. There is apparently support for a mystery stylus which HP have yet to release or to give details of. *shrug*
    The mystery stylus can be found in the business store under accessories for the Elitepad 900; the Atmel HP 'executive pen.' Tbd on availability, however.

It is unknown if any of the other Atmel pens will work with the Envy X2. Once we have more out in the wild the search will be on for a compatible alternative.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Has anyone used that type of stylus before that would be able to comment on how it is to use in comparison to wacom?

Has anybody tried the Atmel Active Stylus for Motorola Xyboard? the Xyboard also uses Atmel MaxStylus controller, therefore the stylus should be compatible with HP Envy X2, you can find it on Amazon for about 30USD.

Hheheee...anybody wanna take one for the team?
    Owned Windows tablets:
    IBM X40t ( still missing the 4:3 screen ratio );
    Lenovo X201t ( horrible display );
    Asus EP121 ( battery always last 10mins shorter than needed... );
    Fujitsu Q550 ( life is too short and this thing is too slow );
    HP 2760P ( The last good tablet PC from HP );
    SAMSUNG 500T and 700T ( plastic....);
    Sony Vaio Duo 13 ( LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT... );
    DELL Venue 8 Pro & ASUS Vivotab Note 8 ( deciding swhich one to keep... )

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    The mystery stylus can be found in the business store under accessories for the Elitepad 900; the Atmel HP 'executive pen.' Tbd on availability, however.

It is unknown if any of the other Atmel pens will work with the Envy X2. Once we have more out in the wild the search will be on for a compatible alternative.
    Do we know for definite that this "executive pen" will work on the X2 - or is it Elitepad only?

Super Moderator

<<...Do we know for definite that this "executive pen" will work on the X2 - or is it Elitepad only?..>>

...I don't know much about Atmel's technology, but here's an historical observation: All Wacom tabletPC pens, "penabled" and UP prefix, are interchangeable. All N-trig tabletPC pens, of the same generation, are interchangeable. When they were more widely used, I believe that all FinePoint pens were interchangeable...

So, I would be surprised if it turned out that Atmel's tablet pens were brand-specific....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    &lt;&lt;...Do we know for definite that this "executive pen" will work on the X2 - or is it Elitepad only?..&gt;&gt;

...I don't know much about Atmel's technology, but here's an historical observation: All Wacom tabletPC pens, "penabled" and UP prefix, are interchangeable. All N-trig tabletPC pens, of the same generation, are interchangeable. When they were more widely used, I believe that all FinePoint pens were interchangeable...

So, I would be surprised if it turned out that Atmel's tablet pens were brand-specific....
    I meant more, are we certain that the Envy is Atmel? It wouldn't surprise me if the Elitepad was Atmel, but HP "pen" for the Envy was a crappy capacitive thing akin to the 5 quid junk things you get off eBay, and the Envy had no "real" stylus support.

Those more up on stylii than I - is there any obvious place I could look in Device Manager to determine touchscreen stylus support?

Thread Information