HP ENVY X2 up on HP.com - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP ENVY X2 up on HP.com

Oh, drat. Is Atmel really so bad? We need more data points, please. I'm currently vacillating between the Envy X2, the Dell Latitude 10 and the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. I need more data...

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post
    Oh, drat. Is Atmel really so bad? We need more data points, please. I'm currently vacillating between the Envy X2, the Dell Latitude 10 and the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. I need more data...
    I would wait a bit for the Youtube vids and such. It is not that I don't trust this users opinion, but there was hopefully something wrong with the drivers or something. It would be really hard to believe that HP would put all their new TabletPC eggs into one Atmel basket if the handle on that basket was not ready to carry the load. Time will tell.

Also there is an Atmel digitizer on an Asus or Acer from 2012 (forgot which one) that will work with an Atmel pen. The 'news' is on the Atmel website where they discuss their pen technology.

So, we sit and wait for there things to actually get sold and the videos to start. Then we shall see!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok... So I bought an Envy X2. I have a Wacom Stylus - no go. I also happen to have an N-trig stylus - no go on that one as well. I just ordered an Atmel stylus - should be here in a couple of days. I will let you guys know what I think. Overall I would like to comment a couple of things about the laptop if you're considering it. Everyone has their own opinion of windows 8 but with owning several windows tablets, Android, and iPads - I feel it is really a good idea but for now is only half baked. The touchpad "edges" to access features is annoying. If you don't perfectly place your hand you are constantly getting additional swipes, opening or switching apps. You also have lackluster two finger performance scrolling. The texturing on the touchpad is odd as well - mini ridges. (would be great to remove oil from your fingers) The overall build and feel is great but the battery on the base is has a nice "lifting" feature to elevate the keyboard when on a table. One thing they didn't think about is the edge of the battery are a bit sharp and it isn't exactly comfortable on your lap. It is a "don't put on your lap laptop". You can of course try to place your legs just perfectly to avoid the battery edges hitting your legs but it is a bit wider gap than I like. In addition the screen is quite weighty (not heavy per se) but the balance of weight is angled away from the keyboard in such a way that the table is easy to cause it to roll back on the tablet. If it is in your lap and you are avoiding the battery edges - the laptop wants to roll away from you. Disconnecting without creating a palm print on the top is tough and takes skill. The keyboard is ok but I find myself making more mistakes than normal. Maybe it is just the angle so leave that one as an opinion and not as a function of the keyboard.

Here are my other minor observations - no place to put the pen blows. I carry around a mont blanc on my Hawaiian shirt - now I need to carry another pen around. I don't really want to have a multitude of pens down my shirt. The micro sd and full sd slots are awesome - they give you a lot more options for adding storage and 64GB is a decent amount of storage but for $800+ dollars you would expect a little more!

The beats audio has great 3d feel but sound like very hollow audio - tin can bass. My iPad mini is much louder and fuller sounding. I really wanted this to be the old tc1100 reunion with the hardware and technology that wasn't possible at the time but I'm more waiting for the pen out of nostalgia just to give it that one last chance to wow me. I'll post my opinion for what it is worth when it comes. I really wanted this laptop to be awesome - great looks - some good design work.... I'll also let you know if it grows on me.

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by uzbeckin View Post
    I really wanted this to be the old tc1100 reunion with the hardware and technology that wasn't possible at the time but I'm more waiting for the pen out of nostalgia just to give it that one last chance to wow me.
    I think the closest thing to the TC-1100 so far is the upcoming Lenovo Helix.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 | HP TC1100 | Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ok... So I bought an Envy X2. I have a Wacom Stylus - no go. I also happen to have an N-trig stylus - no go on that one as well. I just ordered an Atmel stylus - should be here in a couple of days. I will let you guys know what I think. Overall I would like to comment a couple of things about the laptop if you're considering it. Everyone has their own opinion of windows 8 but with owning several windows tablets, Android, and iPads - I feel it is really a good idea but for now is only half baked. The touchpad "edges" to access features is annoying. If you don't perfectly place your hand you are constantly getting additional swipes, opening or switching apps. You also have lackluster two finger performance scrolling. The texturing on the touchpad is odd as well - mini ridges. (would be great to remove oil from your fingers) The overall build and feel is great but the battery on the base is has a nice "lifting" feature to elevate the keyboard when on a table. One thing they didn't think about is the edge of the battery are a bit sharp and it isn't exactly comfortable on your lap. It is a "don't put on your lap laptop". You can of course try to place your legs just perfectly to avoid the battery edges hitting your legs but it is a bit wider gap than I like. In addition the screen is quite weighty (not heavy per se) but the balance of weight is angled away from the keyboard in such a way that the table is easy to cause it to roll back on the tablet. If it is in your lap and you are avoiding the battery edges - the laptop wants to roll away from you. Disconnecting without creating a palm print on the top is tough and takes skill. The keyboard is ok but I find myself making more mistakes than normal. Maybe it is just the angle so leave that one as an opinion and not as a function of the keyboard.

Here are my other minor observations - no place to put the pen blows. I carry around a mont blanc on my Hawaiian shirt - now I need to carry another pen around. I don't really want to have a multitude of pens down my shirt. The micro sd and full sd slots are awesome - they give you a lot more options for adding storage and 64GB is a decent amount of storage but for $800+ dollars you would expect a little more!

The beats audio has great 3d feel but sound like very hollow audio - tin can bass. My iPad mini is much louder and fuller sounding. I really wanted this to be the old tc1100 reunion with the hardware and technology that wasn't possible at the time but I'm more waiting for the pen out of nostalgia just to give it that one last chance to wow me. I'll post my opinion for what it is worth when it comes. I really wanted this laptop to be awesome - great looks - some good design work.... I'll also let you know if it grows on me.
    Thanks for the review. I have two questions. First, I don't understand about the "sharp edges on the battery". Are there protrusions on the bottom of the keyboard where the keyboard battery is located?

Second, does the connection between tablet and keyboard have male/female pins, or is it just a contact between two flat surfaces?

Thanks, Jim

Pen Pal - Newbie

[Thanks for the review. I have two questions. First, I don't understand about the "sharp edges on the battery". Are there protrusions on the bottom of the keyboard where the keyboard battery is located?

Jim,
    First of all - the battery has a slanted edge with a defined ridge.

Second, does the connection between tablet and keyboard have male/female pins, or is it just a contact between two flat surfaces?

There is a male (keyboard) to female (slate) interface and there are two protruding solid metal tabs that stick out of the keyboard and go into the slate that hold it stable and relieve pressure from the interface. This is why the reviews say the base feels solidly attached. I have pictures I did for you of both questions but for some reason it is taking forever to upload this morning.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Jim,
    Here is the battery design.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  52.8 KBName:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  68.1 KB

Hopefully this shows up on the posting.

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  32.5 KB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

uzbeckin. Thanks for the photos. I think I understand how the interface is configured. I still don't understand the battery ridges. Maybe a photo of the bottom of the keyboard would be helpful?

Thanks, Jim

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    uzbeckin. Thanks for the photos. I think I understand how the interface is configured. I still don't understand the battery ridges. Maybe a photo of the bottom of the keyboard would be helpful?

Thanks, Jim
    Jim,

Look at the photos in my last post. The battery has slanted sides and in the photo I showed a closeup of the battery which is facing back when closed and then when you open the laptop it rotates down to elevate the keyboard. The second photo shows the bottom of the laptop and the battery facing down. The two sides of the battery have sharp enough ridges that they are uncomfortable on your legs. Minor problem. The laptop looks beautiful and to be quite honest there are more things I dislike about windows 8 than about the laptop design. Did no one use this before they released it? This has to be the most complicated user interface ever - I only keep using it because it is so complicated it is oddly interesting and amazingly frustrating at the same time.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Jim,

Look at the photos in my last post. The battery has slanted sides and in the photo I showed a closeup of the battery which is facing back when closed and then when you open the laptop it rotates down to elevate the keyboard. The second photo shows the bottom of the laptop and the battery facing down. The two sides of the battery have sharp enough ridges that they are uncomfortable on your legs. Minor problem. The laptop looks beautiful and to be quite honest there are more things I dislike about windows 8 than about the laptop design. Did no one use this before they released it? This has to be the most complicated user interface ever - I only keep using it because it is so complicated it is oddly interesting and amazingly frustrating at the same time.
    So, in the photo that shows a brown surface with four grey "tabs" and the silver surface, the brown surface is the keyboard and the silver surface is the slate. And the silver extension is the battery ridge?

Thanks again, Jim

Thread Information