HP Elitepad 900 - Page 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

Thanks for posting the video. I think the design is pretty good and I give it a solid 'B.' Why not an 'A'? The 'full size' SD card should be on the device and not just left up to the sleeve or jacket. I keep all my work files on my SD card so I can move it from my TabletPC to my work laptop. It allows me to work anywhere. If I bought this I would also need to buy a jacket and I could not use it bare, even for a few minutes. Once out of its jacket I would not have access to my work files using my present system. So all the hard work of making it as sleek as possible was wasted for me since it would be in a jacket full time.

Unfortunately for HP I would need to look at other alternate devices with the SD card slot. Unfortunate for me that 10.1" 16:10 devices are about as scarce as a blue moon! So, it is almost there...a solid 'B.'
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

ƒ(x) / fashion

HP did a decent job with this one. I think they will sell a good amount of these ElitePads. The serviceability is also a plus. If It just happens I'm too picky to ignore the lack of a silo. If it had a silo on the jacket, I would consider it. And I would also keep it in the "straight-jacket" at all times as it provides lots of ports.

But as it is, Lenovo and Samsung got my attention. I wonder if HP is cooking an AMD tablet for Q1-2013....
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 | HP TC1100 | Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

I think the jackets are the real question-- how much functionality and variability will they provide. They clearly wanted to be able to have a tablet as thin and light as the iPad, and yet have the option of the thickness required for real functional work. If I could have a jacket with a silo -- which seems reasonable to me-- that would make a big difference.

I also wonder how much the silos weigh, and how thick they make the devices. If they end up being 1/2" total, and around 2 lbs, that's not bad for a functional device, with full ports, a silo, and perhaps some sort of drop-proof protective armor. That's about what Motions cl900 series is-- .6" and 2.1 lbs. With silo, Atom, etc.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

People are always crying abut the lack of a pen silo. We already have them, called pockets.

Well, if tablet pens cost as much as a bic, I wouldn't be complaining. But at 30-40$ a pop, it's nice to have a pen regularly available when working in the field. As it is, I carry a spare in my bag just in case. I once lost a pen on the jobsite, and was then unable to do any pen-based work the rest of the day. Of course, I'm dropping an extra 50$ basically, just to a backup pen lying around.

So, no, I then the idea that a pen is a pen is a pen is wrong. A pressure sensitive pen for a digitizer is absolutely nothing like having a bic pen that you carry in a pocket. Is that where you currently carry your digitizer pen?
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    If I could have a jacket with a silo -- which seems reasonable to me-- that would make a big difference.
    The Atmel pen they are using seems a bit too thick to fit in the jacket. They could have made a "bulge" in the jacket, but maybe that would be too noticeable. If they had gone with Wacom, they could have fit the pen easily in the jacket because Wacom Pens are thinner. However, a Wacom digitizer would have probably added an extra $100-200 to the ElitePad's price. Compromises. The Atmel Stylus might be ok. I'm curious to read reviews about it.

I also wonder how much the silos weigh, and how thick they make the devices.
    Their weight is probably marginal, but depending on the Pen in use, the silo might need to be as wide as a barrel.

I think silos are very useful. With them, you always know where your Pen is -- no matter if you're on the field, or sitting on your couch. I have temporarily lost ball pens in the crevices of couches. I have also made a hole on a sheet because I sat on a pencil once. These things happen because you don't always have a pocket on you. Besides, like you pointed out before, losing a Stylus can mean a $50 loss. Imagine if Bic had made a pen whose cap couldn't fit on the back of the pen... Not only it does fit on both ends of the pen, but it also possess a "clip" that allows the pen to be attached to the collar of a t-shirt. Brilliant! A 25¢ product done right.

The TPT2 showed at Computex had no silo. Lenovo changed its design (maybe by making the slate 0.3" wider) to make room for the silo. That, plus the US-based CS support, plus the new plant in the US, puts Lenovo on my #1 spot. If the new Clover Trails get good reviews here, Lenovo will get my money eventually.

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    The TPT2 showed at Computex had no silo. Lenovo changed its design (maybe by making the slate 0.3" wider) to make room for the silo. That, plus the US-based CS support, plus the new plant in the US, puts Lenovo on my #1 spot. If the new Clover Trails get good reviews here, Lenovo will get my money eventually.
    The fatal flaw of the TP2 is its lack of a folding keyboard. If I had to choose between a proper folding keyboard and pen silo, the silo would loose-out. I don't understand Lenovo's thinking on this issue. So far, the Dell with its replacable 2 and 4 cell batteries, Wacom pen and folding keyboard makes it the superior design IMO, even if it doesn't have a silo. If I was buying an Atom based unit, the Dell would be at the top of the list. The Envy wouldbe close too, depending on thepen it uses. Even the Elitepad's keyboard sleeve converts the tablet into a slider of sorts ... I prefer that to the fixed kb of the Thinkpad. Shame too, since the IBM US based service is a real plus for the Thinkpad.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 10-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    The fatal flaw of the TP2 is its lack of a folding keyboard.
    Do you wish it could fold and close like a laptop or merely tilt backwards to change the angle at which the screen is looked?

I agree that, at a minimum, people should be allowed to adjust the slate's angle by some 20 degrees... They might have made the keyboard too light or too small to allow for this movement. If they had put a battery on the keyboard, that would have given it enough weight to allow the slate to tilt; plus that would have given it more juice. But they did put a pointing stick on it and that's another plus to me. I wonder what are the chances of Lenovo making a new keyboard-dock with a battery and some tilting.

The Dell one isn't yet confirmed to have a keyboard, is it? Its replaceable battery is a big plus and, like the TPT2, it probably meets military specs as well. The Samsung Ativs (official release event tomorrow!) might offer many of these features. We'll know it soon. None of these devices is perfect... There's always something we wish it was a bit different, like aspect ratio, brand of digitizer, size of I/O ports, etc... We always have to swallow a frog here and there. I have high hopes for the Ativ, but it won't meet military specs.

ƒ(x) / fashion

Some great news about the jackets:

1. There are more jackets coming up.
    2. They will be compatible across different generations of ElitePads.

In-depth Hands On Preview of HP's ElitePad 900 Windows 8 Pro Business Tablet

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Here is an interesting teaser....

Laptops & Tablets | Official HP® Business Store

This is the page where you choose what category to shop within the Small/Medium Business site. The category for TabletPC's shows they come in sizes from 8.9" to 10.1". If you click on the link you get the Slate 2 at 8.9". I am assuming that the 10.1" is the upcoming Elitepad. So, the pointers are there so it is just a matter of time where they will be showing up...
    Last edited by dceggert; 10-19-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Thread Information