HP Elitepad 900 - Page 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

I am not sure if this has been posted yet or not. The front page (first post) maybe should be updated with this link:

HP ElitePad | Business Tablet With Windows 8 | HP Official Site | HP

Edit: Okay, here is an interesting twist. If you follow the link and change to the "Features" page, then scroll down to the section entitled "Forward-thinking, backward-compatible" there is a picture of the screen showing the backward compatibility. Call me wrong, but that is Windows 7 with a 'Start' button! Wooo haaaa! Okay, I am happy now.... I hope this isn't just a sales anomaly.

Depending on the performance of the off-brand active digitizer, I may have just found my next machine...that is as long as I can wrestle one out of HP without being a corporate buyer. Hopefully it will be in the sales page right next to the Slate 2. I am not a real fan of Win 8 yet, and I am surely not enamored with the 16:9 ratio.

I guess I would need the expansion 'sleeves' to get the USB, HDMI, and SD card slots but we shall see how these end up for sale come January 2013.
    Last edited by dceggert; 10-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Here is another interesting link to explore. The transition from TC1000 to Envy X2 is 'splained:

HP Communities - The ElitePad 900, ENVY x2 and a History of HP Inno... - HP Communities

And this site claims it is a Wacom digitizer:

http://www.techsnapr.com/2012/10/01/...ad-900-tablet/

see the comment section where the author states it is Wacom.
    Last edited by dceggert; 10-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    regards,

Dan
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Here is another interesting link to explore. The transition from TC1000 to Envy X2 is 'splained:
    Good thing they decided to tell the world that Asus didn't do it first. Credit where credit is due. But they forgot to mention that they killed that remarkably smart design and kept it buried for a decade....

And this site claims it is a Wacom digitizer:
    Rick said recently it uses an Atmel digitizer.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Wait and Hope.

I love the corporate rewriting of history of the Ipaq. The Ipaq was now an HP product, even though it was designed and marketed by a competitor. Didn't HP design the Jornada which was a far less successful effort?
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Good thing they decided to tell the world that Asus didn't do it first. Credit where credit is due. But they forgot to mention that they killed that remarkably smart design and kept it buried for a decade....

Rick said recently it uses an Atmel digitizer.
    Yup, and I have been researching Atmel a bit. Sounds impressive; I see why they are making inroads to the market. If there is anything worse than no information it is misinformation; the author there needs to not call it Wacom when he does not know.

Some Atmel stuff:
    Atmel Revolutionizes Touch User Experience - YouTube
    Atmel
    Atmel’s flexible touch sensors will revolutionize mobile device design | ExtremeTech

The third one is very interesting. I am not sure about the video, however, it looks like there is a lag between pen movement and letter generation but the lines look fine. The lag may be due to Android. Time will tell before more 'real' information is known and Rick should be posting his line testing he said he would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    I love the corporate rewriting of history of the Ipaq. The Ipaq was now an HP product, even though it was designed and marketed by a competitor. Didn't HP design the Jornada which was a far less successful effort?
    Yes, HP did not invent the iPaq, nor the TC1000 for that matter. Both were acquired technology from Compaq.

HP did, however, invent the tiny little Jornada 700 or whatever nomenclature it was called. It was a tiny little Win CE laptop (palmtop) that was clearly way ahead of its time but still enjoys a huge cult following through today. It was like a tiny netbook a little larger than a smarphone.
    regards,

Dan

KLF
    Super Moderator

I am not sure if this has been posted yet or not. The front page (first post) maybe should be updated with this link:

HP ElitePad | Business Tablet With Windows 8 | HP Official Site | HP
    I did that but I'm not going to mess with excalibur1814's post much more since he is pretty active here and can do it himself when needed

Wait and Hope.

... the iPaq ...
    I had an IPaq, with an aftermarket leather case that also held an SD card for added storage. I loved the little device, but couldn't figure out what to do with it. Ultimately, I went back to a palm pilot, which, at the time, was issued by my firm for calendar control. Simple but effective. Funny how all of these early pioneers wound up in HP.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I never had the early Compaq/HP iPaq as they were too pricey. I had the Audiovox, which was a Toshiba with less space, and cost half of what HP was selling their equivalent model at the time. It a SD and compact flash card slot. Boy, I miss having a full size SD on my touch screen devices(TPT excluded). Well I did have an HP Pocket PC(wasn't under the iPaq name), I go it a little before the time Palm released their first WM Phone, it was a cool media player. It would be cook to see HP get back to iPaq days where they were making very good and competitive products.

KLF
    Super Moderator

I still have rx3715 (manufactured by HTC) somewhere in a box. It was such a good experience that I actually dared to buy couple HTC WinMo phones (worked for Nokia back then and decided never to get any symbian S60 devices).

Super Moderator

For those of you interested, HP has published a video detailing how the ElitePad 900 was designed, from prototype to final product.

Take a look here:

HPPavilion dv6-7014nr (modified) / TouchPad 32GB
    MCTS

Thread Information