HP Elitepad 900 - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Please make some recommendations on "art software" or specific features and I will check with the validation team.

Rick
    SOFTWARE TO TEST:

1. FireAlpaca (FireAlpaca.com - Free image editor)
    Ok, this should be the first software you try, because it's free, the stylus pressure support is unparalleled in the 'free' software category, and because if everything works well with this software, it's a safe bet to say that japanese art software (Illuststudio, SAI, Opencanvas, Manga Studio) will pretty much work.

2. Photoshop (Adobe)
    Not much to say here. Granddaddy of art software.

3. Sketchbook Pro (SketchBook Pro - Drawing App - Autodesk)
    A standard for sketching software from Autodesk.

4. Corel Painter (Digital Art Software - Corel Painter 12)
    A standard for painting

5. Zbrush (:: Pixologic ::)
    3D sculpting software.

There're tons more software out there, but the above should be a good subset.
    Last edited by whazzup; 10-04-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

WHAT TO TEST:
    This was a simple test I devised to test some non Wacom tablet displays I had earlier, but I'm sure your testing team has much more experience and advanced tools than what I have:

1. Ruler Tracing Test
    Use the ruler to draw uniform lines diagonally across the screen.

2. Cursor Hover Test (Very Important)
    With the pen tip hovering over the screen, try to move the cursor pixel by pixel, around one of the small squares. Next try to paint the square black, without spilling over into other squares.

3. Slow Tracing Test (Very Important)
    By tracing over the guidelines slowly, we can see how much jitter the digitizer has. Note that because of the smooth glass surface, the tracing is bound to look inaccurate. But this is an important test because when you see people testing tablets, they just scribble something over the screen, see the pressure sensitive strokes, and end it at that. Not very useful.

4. Fast Tracing Test
    By tracing the guidelines quickly, we can see whether there is abnormal jittering.

5. Pressure Test
    With pressure sensitivity on, trace over the guidelines.

6. Dual Monitor Support and Displays in different rotations
    With a second display, the tablet pen calibration can get all screwed up with the coordinates. In addition, rotating either display into different modes (portrait/landscape) can potentially cause problems.

A video I did last time:
    Last edited by whazzup; 10-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

And another:

*I apologize for the multiple off-topic posts, but I was not able to put 2 videos in 1 post.
    Last edited by whazzup; 10-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Function over Form

You know I'm not surprised. HP is really started to demonstrate how they lack leadership with the ability to compete in a world where Apple leads technology by the nose. (I say this with great disdain, but am appreciative of Apple pushing quality and higher screen resolutions at least)

The Slate 500/2 was the perfect form factor. It could have competed with the Surface and all the other tablets on the market. Why would they deviate from that? Was it too difficult to source a higher resolution screen?

Instead we get tablets that are larger but still packing the internals of the slate. I don't understand.

If I get ANYTHING larger than the slate, it better have a core i3 processor at the minimum, and at least 4gb of RAM.

HP is sitting on the resources and technical know how to really come out with a powerful product that could compete, but it requires them to take a risk. And that is something the stuffy old shareholders at HP are too stupid to allow. Instead they'll ride the ship until it sinks and then jump over board.

2d
    Current Mobile:
    Lenovo x230 - i5, 16gb RAM, 256 ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Lenovo X220t - i7-2620M, 16gb RAM, 80gb ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Past:
    OQO 01, 02 RIP, Fujitsu P1510d (Still have but not using) ,Acer 1825ptz, Samsung Series 7 Slate - A01 & A03, HP Slate 2, MS Surface Pro 128gb, MS Surface Pro 2 4gb/128gb, Lenovo Thinkpad 8 - 64gb

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by whazzup View Post
    SOFTWARE TO TEST:

3. Sketchbook Pro (SketchBook Pro - Drawing App - Autodesk)
    A standard for sketching software from Autodesk.
    You might want to test the Sketchbook Designer from Autodesk too, it's similar to SB Pro, but vector based, so it requires a bit more processing power.

SketchBook Designer - Concept Design & Illustration Software - Autodesk
    Owned Windows tablets:
    IBM X40t ( still missing the 4:3 screen ratio );
    Lenovo X201t ( horrible display );
    Asus EP121 ( battery always last 10mins shorter than needed... );
    Fujitsu Q550 ( life is too short and this thing is too slow );
    HP 2760P ( The last good tablet PC from HP );
    SAMSUNG 500T and 700T ( plastic....);
    Sony Vaio Duo 13 ( LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT... );
    DELL Venue 8 Pro & ASUS Vivotab Note 8 ( deciding swhich one to keep... )

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
    The Slate 500/2 was the perfect form factor. It could have competed with the Surface and all the other tablets on the market. Why would they deviate from that? Was it too difficult to source a higher resolution screen?
    I could not agree more. All the slate needed was better components. HP got the size and weight correct. I'm begrudgingly moving to a 10" surface, but stepping up to Ivybridge power.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28...our-more-years

Looks like Meg agrees with you. Half of HPs products will be gone in a year
    Last edited by Bronsky; 10-05-2012 at 06:28 AM.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    It really is a shame to see such a company in the position that they're in. Sure, as we all know, their own tablet venture failed literally moments after it started but I was hoping that HP would release some really, really, REALLY nice tablets.

They have quite a nice Elitebook/Probook range, solid chassis, really easy to upgrade, some of the best battery options and peripherals yet they're let down by average screens. Where is the new Elitebook 2770p? Where is the Workstation type options with regards to tablets? Come on HP... release the two tablets you have now and get right back to the drawing board!

- Be the first to release a core i5/i7 laptop with a really fantastic keyboard along with a dedicated gpu for gaming
    - Be the first to release a workstation class device that has cad guys around the world screaming
    - Be the first to release an Atom tablet with crazy battery options and high res screen (Close with the 900 but let down a little)
    - Be the first! Remember the HP TC1000

Do you have anything to lose? Do it now, get your name onto every tech site out there, control the tech and add juicy specs (Like Samsung) and above all, inspire the younger generation as they'll point their fingers first!

Oh well if it were only that easy.
    Actually, the TC1000 was a creation of Compaq, not HP. So was the iPaq. HP's competition were pitiful so they bought Compaq and then proceeded to ruin those innovative products in favor of the less innovative HP versions. Still going on today? Think Palm and the Touchpad. Acquired, ruined, then dumped.

It is a window into the corporate politics that are plaguing the top rungs of the internal ladder.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Sr. Program Manager

@Wazzup....Thanks for the insight on pen usage. Think I will spend some time this weekend playing...
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Actually, the TC1000 was a creation of Compaq, not HP. So was the iPaq. HP's competition were pitiful so they bought Compaq and then proceeded to ruin those innovative products in favor of the less innovative HP versions. Still going on today? Think Palm and the Touchpad. Acquired, ruined, then dumped.

It is a window into the corporate politics that are plaguing the top rungs of the internal ladder.
    I must, must, MUST remember these facts! Thanks dceggert

Damn shame
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @Wazzup....Thanks for the insight on pen usage. Think I will spend some time this weekend playing...
    I don't mind having a gadget for testing too!

But anyway, here're the images I used:

Thread Information