HP Elitepad 900 - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

It really is a shame to see such a company in the position that they're in. Sure, as we all know, their own tablet venture failed literally moments after it started but I was hoping that HP would release some really, really, REALLY nice tablets.

They have quite a nice Elitebook/Probook range, solid chassis, really easy to upgrade, some of the best battery options and peripherals yet they're let down by average screens. Where is the new Elitebook 2770p? Where is the Workstation type options with regards to tablets? Come on HP... release the two tablets you have now and get right back to the drawing board!

- Be the first to release a core i5/i7 laptop with a really fantastic keyboard along with a dedicated gpu for gaming
    - Be the first to release a workstation class device that has cad guys around the world screaming
    - Be the first to release an Atom tablet with crazy battery options and high res screen (Close with the 900 but let down a little)
    - Be the first! Remember the HP TC1000

Do you have anything to lose? Do it now, get your name onto every tech site out there, control the tech and add juicy specs (Like Samsung) and above all, inspire the younger generation as they'll point their fingers first!

Oh well if it were only that easy.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    The "hands on" article said that they couldn't use the pen because it was a wooden mock-up so no idea how accurate that is. Reading: its FUNdamental.
    I remember the girl on the Engadget video saying that the Pen she had wasn't real, or something to that effect. However, would HP build a mock-up Stylus, then make marketing material, show said Stylus to the press, but ultimately manufacture something that looks different?!?! I think what she meant is that the Pen wasn't fully functional because its engineering wasn't finished.

Maybe Rick can shed some light here. Does the ElitePad's Pen look like the one depicted on the picture above? Will it be N-trig 3.5, N-trig 4.0 or Wacom?

Quote Originally Posted by ships10 View Post
    From the article:

Whitman blamed the company’s troubles on the series of major management changes, which she said “caused multiple inconsistent strategic plans and executional miscues.”
    I think it would be quite helpful to HP if the members of its Board of Directors -- especially the CEO -- committed to and praised the company's own products in interviews, instead of buying the "competitors" goods and exalting their qualities to the press like they've been doing for a while. They could limit their "Apple lauding" to the privacy of their homes. Nothing wrong with it.

We don't see Dell or Lenovo praising the competition half-as-often...
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Sr. Program Manager

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Maybe Rick can shed some light here. Does the ElitePad's Pen look like the one depicted on the picture above? Will it be N-trig 3.5, N-trig 4.0 or Wacom?
    The pen will look like the picture below and is an Atmel solution.

Rick

Name:  hp-elitepad900-accessories.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  65.8 KB
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Rick

Name:  hp-elitepad900-accessories.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  65.8 KB
    That is some interesting news. Hopefully, they work far better than the N-Trig units and Atmel is more responsive to its existing customers with software and driver updates.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Does anyone know what Atmel is? I've never heard of it before. I was looking it up.... is it a derivative of Wacom in some way?
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Now that IS interesting....figured out that my Galaxy Note had an Atmel touch panel, but never really saw an device with the MaxStylus....until now.

Hi Rick,
    while I know, as usual, artists are not the target audience, but is it at ALL possible, to test art software on the device before it hits the market?

And let's hope that Wintab support is not crappy.....
    Last edited by whazzup; 10-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

This is actually a smart looking system. Since it is also 10.1" with 16:10 aspect ratio it would replace my Q550 nicely. I will wait to see the Atmel in action however.

One thing that now bugs me is that the Win 8 RTM OS 'breaks' Franklin-Covey's PlanPlus for Outlook (not a device specific issue). That is a deal breaker for me. The software loaded and worked for the CP and RP levels but RTM will not allow it to work. Since that is my daily productivity and tracking tool I cannot use Win 8 now until something gets fixed or I overhaul my entire way of doing business.

Maybe HP can offer Win 7 downgrade with it for businesses???? Pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaasssseeeee....(in my best Roger Rabbit voice)...
    Last edited by dceggert; 10-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You could always run a virtual machine but that could be a bit of a pain for you
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Sr. Program Manager

Quote Originally Posted by whazzup View Post
    Now that IS interesting....figured out that my Galaxy Note had an Atmel touch panel, but never really saw an device with the MaxStylus....until now.

Hi Rick,
    while I know, as usual, artists are not the target audience, but is it at ALL possible, to test art software on the device before it hits the market?

And let's hope that Wintab support is not crappy.....
    Please make some recommendations on "art software" or specific features and I will check with the validation team.

Rick
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

The ElitePad isn't for me. And here are the main reasons:

• Pen silo: the lack of a Pen silo on the slate itself would disrupt my workflow. Putting a silo on the keyboard-dock isn't enough for me. There would be many times I would be using just the slate and I would still need to put the Stylus away. Leaving it on the couch would eventually lead to either the loss of the Stylus itself or worse....my manhood (if I sat on it... Ouch!).

• Pointing stick: The absence of a pointing stick on the keyboard-dock is also problem. I could easily survive without a touchpad (the Lenovo TPT2 doesn't have one either), but I can't get by without both the touchpad and the pointing stick. Just not my style of working on laptop mode.

HP did a couple of controversial things:

• Resolution: For a device aimed at businesses (and let's be frank, most businesses just don't care for Win8, let alone Metro apps), the ElitePad's resolution is fine. I can completely understand, however, the disappointment of Metro fans over this issue as they would truly benefit from the "snap" feature.

• Atmel digitizer: Let's wait and see. Might be better than N-trig 3.5 or 4.0....

HP added many features that are sure to make most people happy:

• Aspect ratio: 16:10 is the second best AR as it gives the user some widescreen capability without rendering "portrait mode" operation completely useless. Unfortunately to Metro fans, that came at the expense of the "snap" feature. In a perfect world, the ElitePad would not only use a 16:10 screen, but also meet MS requirements for full Metro compatibility. But as I conjectured above, Metro adoption in business environments will likely be low and HP probably chose to favour battery-life and pricing, instead.

• Thinness: The device is paper-thin, which will please the trendy people out there. Personally, I'd rather have a tablet that is 2mm thicker (that's approximately the thickness of 2 coins) if that gave me the benefit of having every full-size port I could possibly get -- including VGA!

• Dock, jacket, keyboard-dock, connectors: The device's modularity adds great flexibility to people's workflow. Slide the slate into (or onto) the right accessory and you'll get all ports you'll ever need! And the myriad of connectors that appear on the picture Rick posted this morning will allow the tablet to interface with all types of devices at home, work and on-transit. No one can complain about connectivity with this tablet!

• Servicibility: They also mentioned on one of the videos that the device was designed to be easily disassembled, which should make tinkerers quite happy. Upgrading RAM, however, will probably be a pointless enterprise as the Clover Trail specs limit memory to 2Gb.

• Pricing: The device also happens to be one of the cheapest slates so far, going for $700 -- if the price is confirmed. The cheapest one, if my memory serves, is the Samsung Ativ, which will sell for for $650 without the keyboard-dock. Not business-grade, but to be fair, the Ativ will probably ship with a super-duper Wacom Pen!

There are 2 business features I think HP missed:

• Replaceable battery: This is probably not a big deal, since the jacket does support an extra battery.

• Matte screen: This feature will be missed immensely by everyone that will use the device outdoors. HP should consider a matte screen option. Even if it costs extra! I can see people spending an extra $100 bucks to gain the capability of reading their documents, filling out their forms and checking out their notes outside!

Life is made of compromises, and I won't compromise on the Pen silo and pointing stick. However, compared to the Slate 2 (which was supposed to be an "upgrade" from the faster Slate 500), the ElitePad seems remarkably superior! This is what an upgrade looks like!
    Last edited by e-schreiber; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Thread Information