HP Elitepad 900 - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    The Latitude 10 looks like the best business-oriented and stylus-oriented design, and the Envy X2 looks like the best consumer-oriented design, in my opinion.
    Does the Latitude 10 have a clamshell keyboard dock? Also, what's wrong with the ASUS or Samsung Atom slates? Aren't those docks also clamshell based?

Scribbler - Standard Member

I would say business tablets is a completely different breed from consumer products, and when I say business, I meant restaurants using this tablet as mobile POS, hospitals using this for charting or delivery company for signature. for those business, you need a device small enough to carry around and easy to use single-handedly, the keyboard dock from envy line won't be that useful in those scenarios.

Design wise, I think the ElitePad looks more business friendly, as an industrial designer myself, we tend to tune down a bit of the "sleekness" when we are working on business/professional product. the more "formal" design make the product look more trust-worthy and reliable.

I can also understand why HP go for the jacket solution, different vertical markets needs different accessory solutions. I am sure somewhere inside HP you can find some prototype jackets with bar-code scanner or credit-card slots lying around.

the 1280 x 800 resolution is a bit of shame though, you lose the "snap" function from windows and around 25,000 pixels compared to 1366 x 768, but I do like the 16 to 10 ratio, I would even prefer the good old 4:3 ratio. 16:10 already looks a bit awkward in portrait mode, 16:9 certainly won't help.
    Owned Windows tablets:
    IBM X40t ( still missing the 4:3 screen ratio );
    Lenovo X201t ( horrible display );
    Asus EP121 ( battery always last 10mins shorter than needed... );
    Fujitsu Q550 ( life is too short and this thing is too slow );
    HP 2760P ( The last good tablet PC from HP );
    SAMSUNG 500T and 700T ( plastic....);
    Sony Vaio Duo 13 ( LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT... );
    DELL Venue 8 Pro & ASUS Vivotab Note 8 ( deciding swhich one to keep... )

(x) / fashion

I just noticed something. The ElitePad's keyboard-dock has no touchpad....or pointing stick! Ninja! O.o

Name:  hp-elitepad-900-lead-shot.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  60.6 KB
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 | HP TC1100 | Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Re the 1280 x 800 resolution; agreed that you can't do snap on the unit, but I thought I heard the HP guy say that it did support dual displays, not just mirrored displays...

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    I just noticed something. The ElitePad's keyboard-dock has no touchpad....or pointing stick! Ninja! O.o
    In the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal. My Slate 500 folio is very similar to the new KB and I simily use touch to navigate and type when I need to imput.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleatsh View Post
    I would say business tablets is a completely different breed from consumer products, and when I say business, I meant restaurants using this tablet as mobile POS, hospitals using this for charting or delivery company for signature. for those business, you need a device small enough to carry around and easy to use single-handedly, the keyboard dock from envy line won't be that useful in those scenarios.
    As someone who uses his slate solely in a business environment, I welcome the more traditional clamshell design. It is more stable on a table top and makes a better display base. It can be lifted with one hand without it folding in on itself as folios can do. And, if you want to show client's individual information, you can simply snap off the tablet and pass it around. I don't see the Envy being any thicker than the folio/keyboard combination of the Elite 900, so it will not be any less functional in a presentation setting, around a lunch table, etc.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 10-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

Sr. Program Manager

According to HP's press release, Snap "may be enabled by attaching an external 1,366 x 768 or higher resolution display." In an emailed message explaining why HP opted not to support Snap's requisite resolution, Katie Norris a representative from PR firm Edelman, writing on behalf of HP stated, "[W]hile the Snap feature is a convenient tool for consumers in the new Windows 8 interface, it does not currently support Outlook or other business applications." She noted that focus group testing and customer feedback conducted by HP indicates that users prefer 16x10 aspect ratios due to comfort, usability, wider viewing angles, and display of legacy applications. In other words, what the ElitePad 900 lacks in native Snap functionality, it might make up for by being one of the few 16x10 options in a predominately 16x9 universe.

In an email, HP PR manager Mike Hockey illustrated possible 16x10 advantages, writing that many customers "have invested heavily in 'home grown' form-based applications that are used in portrait mode, such as in healthcare." He mentioned that the ElitePad's aspect ratio will allow it to avoid "unnecessary horizontal and/or vertical scrolling," adding that common 16x10 formats include Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, and "most" eReader content.

Rick

HP Communities - Why is the ElitePad 900 Aspect Ratio16:10? - HP Communities
    Last edited by Rick; 10-02-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Adding link to press release.
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

Sr. Program Manager

Default Re: Elitepad 900

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRS View Post
    Good to see you here, Rick.

I look forward to seeing the Elitepad 900, but it is of great interest to me.

I look forward to the 900's big brother - full iCore processor, larger sceeen, 8MB memory, salte configuration.
    Thanks Chris..here to answer questions and help out where I can...

Rick
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I appreciate your presence here on the forums, but I have to say I couldn't disagree with you (well, mainly the company line) more:

I strongly believe that while 16:10 is great (I would prefer it too), that it shouldn't come at the expense of major Windows features. If 16:10 was that important, it should be 1440x900.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and the market won't agree with me.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10-02-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
    Does the Latitude 10 have a clamshell keyboard dock? Also, what's wrong with the ASUS or Samsung Atom slates? Aren't those docks also clamshell based?
    There are differing reports as to whether or not the Latitude 10 will have a keyboard dock. Some sources say yes, some say no, but regardless, we haven't seen it yet.

I personally am not a big fan of Samsung or Asus. Samsung for their tactile feel (on both phones and laptops, they tend to go with very thin, flexible materials, and from hands-on of their Atom tablet it's no exception), and Asus for their iffy keyboards (either mushy-feeling or missing keystrokes or both) and questionable quality control on the G gaming laptops and the Nexus 7. In contrast, the Envy X2 has universally been described as well-built and solid in hands-on reviews.

EDIT: That said, if the Dell has a keyboard dock I'll seriously consider it, and I'm also somewhat open to the Samsung (flexible doesn't mean bad-quality, even though I don't love the feel), but Asus is basically off the list for me. I've never met an Asus keyboard I like, and keyboard quality is very important to me.
    Last edited by Mitlov; 10-03-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

(x) / fashion

Default Re: Elitepad 900

Here's my guess regarding the choice of 16:10: HP probably figured that Metro apps won't be used very often -- if at all -- in business environments, so they decided to favour "readability in portrait orientation" over "full Metro compatibility". That doesn't explain, however, why they didn't use a higher 16:10 resolution like 1440x900. Maybe that would put an excessive burden on the CPU...? Or perhaps on the battery...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    In the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal. My Slate 500 folio is very similar to the new KB and I simily use touch to navigate and type when I need to imput.
    I have a TC-1100 and, if it didn't have a pointing stick, I would miss it tremendously. To me, being forced to touch the screen when on laptop mode seems quite cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks Chris..here to answer questions and help out where I can...
    I have 2 questions:

1) Which tablet is that in your avatar? It doesn't look like the ElitePad... (!?)
    2) Why no silo? Not even on the simple jacket?
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 | HP TC1100 | Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Thread Information