HP Elitepad 900 - Page 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Elitepad 900

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: HP Elitepad 900

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Oh, I know of the ones you speak of, but that's still more of a promise and less of a real product. There are no demo units getting shown or reviewed and no real specifics. It's just pretty vague.

But I think I expressed things that would be interesting to me-- durable outdoor build, pen silo, with perhaps an extra battery in the jacket. Built for true mobile solutions. A legit clamshell keyboard would make it much higher on my list. I don't mind a little weight as a laptop, if I get a really mobile solution as a slate.

Hey, I like the _idea_ of the jackets, there's just not much there yet.
    Yes, and my biggest hope is that HP even makes them available for us to purchase. The demo units and jackets may go out first to the Corporate reps hunting for corporate sales. I was able to hold a demo Dell XP10 or whatever they were called (the predescessor to the Dell Slate 10 that is out now) several weeks before the website had any information. It was being shown by the Corporate rep to my company.

The previews were clear; the Envy X2 is the consumer product and the 900 is the corporate. Time will tell and HP has made the 27xxP and Slate 500 available to us and those were corporate destined as well so the 900 should be available.

As for timing, it is only (and only has been) promised for "January 2013" so we still have about 3 to 4 weeks to go before things solidify, especially the price. I am hoping for a price in the 800-850-range with the jacket with all the ports about 85.

Oh, and just one more comment; the Atmel pen does not look to be anything that would stuff into a pen slot. Hopefully that changes with different pens available. Since the Atmel technology is also on smartphones maybe there will eventually be a small 'stylus' as well that could be used in a silo. Right now that "Atmel Executive Pen" looks to be larger than even the old TC1100 pen!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * HP Elitepad 1000
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - my main useful device until the EP 1000 arrived
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - mostly used as a desktop/laptop now

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I realize that it is in vogue and fashionable to bash HP in the press and blogs today.

[...]

The strength of the Jacket concept is that the ElitePad can meet the needs of diverse market segments just by choosing a jacket with the features desired.
    Your second statement is right! And I immediately noticed the point of the jackets when they were announced. I even praised the idea as versatile, I think (it's likely posted somewhere in this thread). The hipsters will use the ElitePad "naked"....thin and light like a super model. People with work to do, on the other hand, will "dress" it with a jacket and get extra functionality out of it. But here's a couple things that seem to have been overlooked

1. Put a silo on the simple jacket, so that, at a minimum, with the least amount of clothes on, people have a place to store their $50 Atmel Pen. Putting a silo on the keyboard jacket doesn't cut it! If a user knows he won't be doing heavy typing for a while, he will detach the keyboard, then carry the tablet with him in its simple jacket. Problem is, that will force him to take his $50 Pen in his pocket. Bad!

2. On the keyboard jacket, allow the angle at which the tablet stands to be adjustable.

Regarding your 1st statement: we, blogs and the press only bash HP because of the stooges on the Board of Directors! That's not "fashionable". Fashion is cultural, abstract and without merits. This bashing practice, on the other hand, is based on the overwhelming amount of objective data available.

Do not take it personally. You didn't ok the loss of Billions of dollars....or claimed the company would leave the PC business! And mostly importantly (to me), you have not been heard lauding Apple in every single interview! You are the only single representative of any OEM we have in these forums. No one from Redmond, Round Rock or Seul comes here to give us the time of the day. Yet you take your time to answer questions and, at times, help users with their sometimes poor Customer Support experience. This is gold! I hope HP can awe me with some cool new tablet someday! Despite my criticism, I still use HP's logo on my avatar. That's because I love both of my Tablet PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    But how can I get excited about what this offers when it's completely unclear what it really is offering? It's really pretty vague. That's HP's fault, IMO.
    I think you're onto something. A lot more info should be poured onto this forum to help promote HP tablets. Every time HP posts a new video on YouTube, and every time a new tablet, feature, driver or accessory has been approved by the company, we should hear about it first here.....through Rick! We do a lot of information-hunting and lots of stuff that could promote HP devices never gets to be known because sometimes the info is buried inside an article on AnandTech or a video on YouTube. For example, the fact that HP plans to release a new jacket every 3 months is only known because I saw that being said on a YouTube video and I have repeatedly mentioned it here.

Either HP creates a webpage like Sinofsky's, where all the new HP stuff on the pipeline is actively promoted, or -- at a minimum -- Rick should leak more info here!
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Sr. Program Manager

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post

On the keyboard jacket, allow the angle at which the tablet stands to be adjustable.
    FYI... The keyboard jacket has 3 preset adustment angles for viewing..

not so sure about your last comment though

Rick
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

There's a keyboard jacket? I didn't remember hearing that.... Is it like the Thinkpad 2 keyboard? If so, does it travel around by "snapping" onto the front somehow? OR is it a clamshell idea, more like the Transformers and Samsung slates (my highly preferred option)?

I honestly and truly haven't heard a thing about a keyboard jacket. I assumed it was a slate-only product, like the Dell 10. A keyboard would be very nice. I can't buy the product without one, frankly, for the price.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

(x) / fashion

The keyboard jacket appears here. This is one of the best videos showcasing the ElitePad.

@ Rick: Could you point to a video or photo that shows the keyboard's 3 possible angles? The concern is to be able to work comfortably with the device while lap-typing.

And I have another suggestion to your consideration. After re-watching the ElitePad video again, I remembered another feature missing: the trackingpoint. Sure a touchpad is an impossibility on a device that small, but the TC-1100 and many EliteBooks had trackingpoints. When the device is used on laptop mode, on the lap, I think it's a hassle to exclusively move things around by touching the screen....Especially spreadsheets.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I wonder if anyone knows whether the 4G is standard with the elite 900 and if so is it with Verizon or AT&T? Is the GPS built in too?
    This capability and the 16:10 aspect ratio
    sounds a little more appealing . If they had a standard USB and a full SDXC
    port ....it would have been an almost done deal.
    I'm not sure why they can't make a 128 gb model?
    Last edited by ships10; 12-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Gateway CX210X tablet[/I][/B]: ram from 2to 4 gb; cpu C2D 1.83 Ghz(T5600) to C2D 2.33 Ghz(T7600), HD to intel SSD,vista to Win 7 HP; intel 5300wireless card [/SIZE]
    Toshiba M400 tabletpc : C2D 2Ghz( T7200),ram from 2 to 4 GB,vista ult. to Win7 HP. HD to OCZ 128 GB SSD.
    Wireless card to Intel 5300
    HP TX 2000 tablet- Gifted
    Waited on HP slate 500( 82 days!)!
    Ord: 10/29/10
    Shipped : 1/15/11
    Delvrd : 1/19/11 !
    HP Slate 500 - 8.9" ssd to 128 gb .
    TPT2 64GB LTE

I believe full SD, USB, and extra battery come with the first jacket. So it should become readily available if you're ok with a bit more weight and thickness.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yes that seems like the only option....but at a minimum
    those ports should have been included on the base model and let others pick their
    Jackets to meet their respective needs .
    I'm for "work more with less!"
    The whole purpose of tablets is to carry less stuff ,reduce weight and make the experience more effortless ...and increase productivity rather than have to worry
    about jackets.
    Also,the keyboard jacket seems to have no extra battery...ie it will drain battery from the main unit. Huh?
    The option to service it at will is nice option....eg change batteries in the future .
    Gateway CX210X tablet[/I][/B]: ram from 2to 4 gb; cpu C2D 1.83 Ghz(T5600) to C2D 2.33 Ghz(T7600), HD to intel SSD,vista to Win 7 HP; intel 5300wireless card [/SIZE]
    Toshiba M400 tabletpc : C2D 2Ghz( T7200),ram from 2 to 4 GB,vista ult. to Win7 HP. HD to OCZ 128 GB SSD.
    Wireless card to Intel 5300
    HP TX 2000 tablet- Gifted
    Waited on HP slate 500( 82 days!)!
    Ord: 10/29/10
    Shipped : 1/15/11
    Delvrd : 1/19/11 !
    HP Slate 500 - 8.9" ssd to 128 gb .
    TPT2 64GB LTE

Sr. Program Manager

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    The keyboard jacket appears here. This is one of the best videos showcasing the ElitePad.

@ Rick: Could you point to a video or photo that shows the keyboard's 3 possible angles? The concern is to be able to work comfortably with the device while lap-typing.

And I have another suggestion to your consideration. After re-watching the ElitePad video again, I remembered another feature missing: the trackingpoint. Sure a touchpad is an impossibility on a device that small, but the TC-1100 and many EliteBooks had trackingpoints. When the device is used on laptop mode, on the lap, I think it's a hassle to exclusively move things around by touching the screen....Especially spreadsheets.
    Will try to take some shots of the keyboard angles and post next week.. Just got back in the US from a very long trip and taking a few days rest. Would have liked to have a track point, but didn't work out..

Try to answer a few other questions as well..
    Wireless is 3G and will support multiple carriers.
    Each system will include a USB adapter that plugs into the docking connector.
    I understand the request for 128g model..

Rick
    Sr. Program Manager, Innovation and Technology
    HP Commercial Notebooks, Tablets, and Desktops

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

The photo on the HP site (HP ElitePad Features | Business Touch Tablet | HP Official Site | HP) with the title "Forward-thinking, backward-compatible" has been changed to remove the picture that showed Win 7. Gosh Darn....! I was so looking forward to Win 7 being available as an option when this went on sale. It may still be but this indicates to me that it is less likely now.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * HP Elitepad 1000
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - my main useful device until the EP 1000 arrived
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - mostly used as a desktop/laptop now

Thread Information