SSD for TC1100

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SSD for TC1100

Pen Pal - Newbie

Question SSD for TC1100

I am considering upgrading my old TC1100 with a SSD.
    But, whereas I know I need to buy an IDE SSD, I just don't know which brand/model is the best for my tablet.
    Most of the threads I read refer to Transcend SSD. Are they really the best? Will Transcend or other SSD be small enough to fit?
    Will I get an improved battery life, since my assumption is that SSD are less power consuming?
    Thanks

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: SSD for TC1100

I did think the same thing years ago but the price was quite high. If you can grab a KingSpec for, say, 50 I'd just go for it anyway. 2.5" ide is 2.5" ide across the board (ish) so you should have zero issue fitting the drive. Improved battery life? Probably only a little.
    Owned: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga 11 (Orange!), MS SPro 1 again and now... Surface Pro 2 512GB. I like tablets!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! It is surprising to me that the battery life will only be a little improved. So if my current HDD works well, what's the real advantage of switching to a SSD? Reduced start up time? Will the temperature of the tablet be reduced (with my current configuration, it can quickly run quite hot)?

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin95 View Post
    Thanks! It is surprising to me that the battery life will only be a little improved. So if my current HDD works well, what's the real advantage of switching to a SSD? Reduced start up time? Will the temperature of the tablet be reduced (with my current configuration, it can quickly run quite hot)?
    Yes, the start up time is reduced (appears quicker), access time for files and the swap file is less (appears quicker), battery life is improved, heat is improved, all of the above is a benefit.

Unfortunately, with the older technology like the TC1100 the heat and battery consumption from the CPU and screen illumination is so huge the effects from the SSD will be tough to notice.

The SSD is an improvement, however. Heck, the 7200RPM IDE HDD I put in my TC1100 made a noticeable improvement over the 4200 RPM drive that was originally in there.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

However, I've also got an old Motion le1600, and I think it runs fine with an old HDD. SSD did not noticeably improve battery life, heat, or noise. Noise has only been an issue on faster HDD's, like something that is 7200 rpm-- then the speed of the disk is enough that it makes a noise to those who are finnicky (like me!). But the older 4200 rpm hdd's are so slow they're generally pretty quiet in an ambient way.

As others have noted, boot time, speed to access files, and general "snappiness" improve with SSD's. I would also say that if you work outdoors or in rougher environments (I do) then a SSD is much less likely to suffer failure from dropping, etc. So there's that to consider as well.

Beyond that though, if you find the responsiveness of your current setup quick enough, you'll not find many other benefits from a SSD.

Re: heat- for an older computer such as you have, you should look into undervolting if you have not. This can pretty dramatically reduce heat in older computers without reducing performance. There are a number of helpful guides on the internet.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks all.
    So I bought my SSD and I am about to install it. However, I am running Windows XP SP2 and I have now read in several posts saying that XP does not manage SSD properly and I need to install Windows 7... Is this really mandatory? I don't have W7 so if I need to buy a license, the total cost SSD+Memory+W7 is high...higher that another refurbished TC1100 with the right configuration and getting closer to a newer tablet with all what I need (except Wacom unfortunately....)
    Last edited by Merlin95; 09-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You don't need Windows 7, Windows XP will work just fine, it doesn't support TRIM and maybe a feature or two of SSD's, but there are work-arounds that you can use every few months or just once a year to have it working without issue.

I have found that Windows 7 if paired down is faster than Windows XP on even older machines, and I prefer the User Interface and the Tablet Input Panel as well in Windows 7, it also seems more stable/ secure. But you won't really be missing anything from sticking with XP.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

You don't need it. I agree. It's of use, but not necessary.

The two big advantages to Win7, imo, are that it's a) generally quicker and more responsive, b) the TIP and the handwriting to text conversion is way better, and c) it supports TRIM automatically. If you know you're stuff about cleanup on your SSD though, don't care about using the TIP, and don't find XP slow, Agent 9 is right, it's not necessary, just an improvement.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Thread Information