NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

(This article is also available for viewing at our sister site, NotebookReview.)

HP will be releasing a brand new lineup of touch-based notebook PCs in the coming months. All of these models will be natively running Windows 8.

Due to the recent nature of this announcement, certain links may not be working just yet.

More information: Windows 8 tablet and touch Ultrabook laptops |new PC and laptops | HP

Press release: HP News -*HP Unveils Innovative Multitouch Hybrid PC and Ultrabooks

Even more information (courtesy of Engadget): HP announces 15-inch Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook, Envy 4 Ultrabook with touch -- Engadget

HP ENVY x2
    Available December 2012.
    Windows 8 Laptop Tablet | Two Mobile Devices In One - HP ENVY x2 | HP® Official Site | HP
    NotebookReview Hands-on Preview: HP ENVY x2 Hands On Video Preview
    Specifications: HP ENVY x2 Specifications

The right device for the right time, every time.
    The notebook that doubles as a tablet.

The new HP ENVY x2 PC gives you the power of two devices in one. A Windows® 8 notebook with a bright, vivid HD Touch display. A tablet that slides off for those times when you want to carry even less. Get more work done by day. Relax with a book on the tablet at night. Every day is an adventure. Adjust accordingly.
    HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook
    Available November 2012.
    NotebookReview Hands-on Preview: HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook Hands On Preview

Touch of brilliance
    Get your hands on one

Touch and see in a brilliant new way. The HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook™ gives you an intuitive touch experience. With a thin, all-metal design, lightning fast responsiveness and performance, and the premium service you deserve, it’s one of a kind.
    ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4

Pick up the power of touch
    Take thin and light to the next level.

Now with the intuitive power of touch and Windows® 8, the HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook™ is up for even more. Thin and light with an eye-catching metal design, it packs Beats Audio™, a booming subwoofer, and graphics performance that will blow you away.
    Last edited by justinkw1; 10-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    HPPavilion dv6-7014nr (modified) / TouchPad 32GB
    MCTS

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

The Envy X2 was perfect until I read it had an atom based processor
    I want a real TM2 succesor! I hope we'll see more things from HP, since I am a little dissapointed with what all the other companies have anounced. I don't like this type of hybrids, but it seems it's the trend now...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

I was hoping the X2 was using the latest Fusion cpu and not Atom. The rest of the specs look pretty solid, but optional pen makes me think it may not even be using a proper digitizer? Then again the HTC Flyer for a while had the pen as an option and that was N-Trig so who knows.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I was looking towards the Lenovo machine, Atom based as I'll be ok with a dual core atom, but now I'll go for the ENVY x2. (As above... depends on the stylus support). I'm wondering what the battery life will be seeing as the dock has an extra battery.

UPDATE: But maybe not as there's no (Could be wrong) USB on the slate itself
    Last edited by excalibur1814; 08-31-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Tablet PC addicted

Quote Originally Posted by Juke View Post
    The Envy X2 was perfect until I read it had an atom based processor
    Are you kidding? This tablet SUCKS. I was hoping a tc1100-style tablet and this is a Transformer, with no docking station and no possibility to use the device as a tablet with keyboard attached. If I think that HP have the best form factor ever and he copy a other OEM design... damn, as a HP tablet user since ever, I feel offended by this IFA.

I don't understand your complaint. The Envy _is_ a detachable slate with a docks or keyboard. Almost exactly what you said you're looking for, if I understand your comment right.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Tablet PC addicted

The Envy x2 is a tablet without any port - all the connections are in the keyboard/dock. But if I have the keyboard/dock, I can't use the x2 as a Tablet PC, since the hinge is a clamshell-type and it can't rotate under the tablet - like in the tc1100. And this is not good: in tablet mode I can't even use a USB key or a USB 3G Key.

This, for me, is a VERY big problem. And with this comes a long list of bad things:

- 16:9 on a 10.1" screen - no portrait use.
    - No dock
    - No pen housing
    - No user-replaceable battery

Compared to the tc1100 form factor, it is far inferior...

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I don't understand your complaint. The Envy _is_ a detachable slate with a docks or keyboard. Almost exactly what you said you're looking for, if I understand your comment right.
    I think he means it lacks classic convertible style.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Ah, I see. Lack of ports on the slate portion and lack of a pen silo is regrettable. However, these complaints about 16:9 screens and non replaceable batteries have gotten so old-- complain if you want, but EVERYTHING is being built that way. Go use your tc1100 if you're so in love with it. Sheesh.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Tablet PC addicted

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Ah, I see. Lack of ports on the slate portion and lack of a pen silo is regrettable. However, these complaints about 16:9 screens and non replaceable batteries have gotten so old-- complain if you want, but EVERYTHING is being built that way. Go use your tc1100 if you're so in love with it. Sheesh.
    I know that these kinds of complaints are old and annoying. I'm sorry. But after the Touchpad, with a 4:3 screen, I really, really, hoped a kind of consumer tc1200 - and I find that it is very sick to see that a great company that has built (and builds) great devices like the tc1100, 27*0p and tm2 offered, for Windows 8, only non-convertible devices or a Envy x2 when with an effort not huge - and taking advantage of the lessons of the past - they could build much better tablets.

My tc1100 is gone, and my actual 2760p and Q550 are great but they can not give me a fraction of what the tc1100 has given me over the years. I was hoping to buy a new ultralight but fully functional Tablet PC from HP this winter - but at this point HP is no more for me.

Thread Information