NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8) - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

I've seen older Toughbooks in the hands of regular home repair people, where I would think an X series tablet or HP business tablet would do. Two of the local BofA branches I have seen the bank manager, and who ever else on the floor also have Toughbooks(looks like a 10in model), and Fujitsu tablets.

Shiny

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

I don't think the Envy X2 is "lame" at all. But I do think it's an extremely different product than Elitebook tablets of the past, aimed at a very different market. The "Envy" name instead of "Elitebook" says it all. This is not a business device meant for stylus-toting businesspeople. It's a consumer tablet. It's meant for people who are looking at stuff like the iPad and Surface RT, but who want a little more utility than iOS and Windows RT can deliver (hence the 11.6" screen, the keyboard dock, and full Windows 8 thanks to the x86 processor), but still want a lightweight fanless design and all-day battery life.

I'll agree the Surface RT got the majority of press because (1) it's Microsoft hardware, and (2) it had a big event all to itself well before IFA. However, I wouldn't agree that other IFA offerings, such as the Ativ lineup, has gotten a better reception than the Envy X2. I've seen complaints that the Ativ hardware (particularly the keyboard dock) feels cheap, whereas every reviewer who has looked at the Envy X2 has just fawned over the build quality of the hardware--the IPS screen, the locking mechanism for the keyboard dock, the hinge that elevates and tilts the keyboard, and the keyboard itself.

And I also think that the Envy X2 fills an important market position that the Surface doesn't. A lot of people like me don't want to spend $1000+ for an Ivy Bridge tablet and don't want the weight and shorter battery life that comes along with Ivy Bridge. But I just don't have much faith in the app selection for Windows RT, at least not for the first couple years. The Atom setup offers the best of both words, with the light weight and long battery life of ARM but with the program selection of x86. And there's no Surface Atom.
    Last edited by Mitlov; 09-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

HP Envy x2 (Intel Clover Trail) review: first look | PC Pro blog

Speedy.

" I was able to run a sneaky browser benchmark, establishing a SunSpider score for the unreleased 1.8GHz Intel Z2760 platform of 909 milliseconds. Thatís well ahead of established ARM-based tablets such as the iPad (1,805ms) and the Asus Transformer Prime (2,340ms). For comparison, the Sandy Bridge MacBook Air Iím writing this on scored 313ms."
    Owned: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga 11 (Orange!), MS SPro 1 again and now... Surface Pro 2 512GB. I like tablets!

I'm trying to get a bead on wht I should expect from a processor like this. Something in the low core2duo range? I've got an x200t with a 1.86 sl9400. The z2760 looks like its about 1/2- 2/3 as fast. Does that sound about right? I guess the real qluestion is the benefits we would see from it being dual core.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    HP Envy x2 (Intel Clover Trail) review: first look | PC Pro blog

Speedy.

" I was able to run a sneaky browser benchmark, establishing a SunSpider score for the unreleased 1.8GHz Intel Z2760 platform of 909 milliseconds. That’s well ahead of established ARM-based tablets such as the iPad (1,805ms) and the Asus Transformer Prime (2,340ms). For comparison, the Sandy Bridge MacBook Air I’m writing this on scored 313ms."
    AWESOME.

If Atom bests ARM for performance (ever being in the same ballpark as ULV Ivy Bridge) and matches ARM for battery life, it's worth every penny of the added price of a Windows RT tablet. Far superior compatibility, better performance, equally long battery life, and equally slim fanless profile? Awesome.
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

Yeah, I do have to say that the thin profile and the reported 14 hours max of battery life between the tablet and dock on the Envy is really juicy. Even if real world usage is 1/2- 2/3 that (say, 7-9 hours of good use), those are exceptionally good numbers for something that comes in at 3 lbs with a full sized keyboard, touch interface, and a Wacom digitizer, and full Windows.

In truth, it's not the processor that concerns me the most, but the 2 gb ram. I've often been surprised at how much better things have run in the past with that jump to 4 gb ram-- a much more noticeable improvement than, say, the jump from 4 to 8gb. I hope that we can open it up and shove a 4 gb chip into the slot. 4 ought to be enough for most normal usage, but I'm still a bit concerned by 2, honestly.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well I am told the new Atoms suppose to be fairly close to what the old SU2300 C2D was performing, though GPU is still questionable if it can match the old 4500hd gpu in the C2D models. I think I also read these new Atoms, pending if ram is solder on or not) can support 3gb of ram. On the other hand not sure if 64bit or out of order execution is enabled on these cpus or not.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Yeah, I do have to say that the thin profile and the reported 14 hours max of battery life between the tablet and dock on the Envy is really juicy. Even if real world usage is 1/2- 2/3 that (say, 7-9 hours of good use), those are exceptionally good numbers for something that comes in at 3 lbs with a full sized keyboard, touch interface, and a Wacom digitizer, and full Windows.
    Sorry, where exactly did you find out that the envy x2 will be coming with a wacom digitizer? I've been frantically trying to find some info on what the optional pen will be working on.

To be honest I'm very sceptical. As much as I wish for this device to run wacom, I think that if they did implement it they would promote it much more openly, considering it doesn't actually appear in many devices and probably cost a lot more to implement as say, n-trig. Plus, if they state that the pen would be optional, I would imagine they will be implementing some technology that is more expendable, as using a Wacom digitizer without the consumers even taking advantage of it would be a waste of space and manufacturing budget.

But seriously, fingers crossed that HP is pulling off miracles to make such a good looking, sturdy device with top notch quality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ah, you caught me. You're right! I looked around, and that's a presumption I was making about Wacom, so we'll see. I guess since more tablets seem to be going Wacom than normal (the Thinkpad is, and the two Samsung tablets are since they're S-Pens), I sort of presumed this one was too. But the Sony Vaio is N-Trig, so there ya' go. Can't say for sure.
    Currently own:

Pen Pal - Newbie

The Asus vivo is also running wacom. But what I've noticed is that the OEMs publicise it as a premium feature, much like having lte connectivity or what-not. The fact that HP is not so psyched with releasing any information on what type of digitizer, if they actually have implemented one (god forbid capacitive stylus) suggest otherwise.

I really hope they have implemented wacom if not comparative technology (heck, I wouldn't even mind n-trig's series 4), and if that happens I will be end my search for a replacement for my oversized laptop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information