NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8) - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

500-600 would be unlikely for this, or for any atom tablets with a digitizer?

Wait and Hope.

Default Re: COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

Does the fact that this is an Envy mean no enterprise service? That has been the one bright spot of slate ownership.

I think that this unit will probably have one of the best keyboards but the atom power, price, lack of tablet ports and glare display are detractors for me. I do really like the design, however. It is a beautiful device and Envys are well built.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Asus M80TA - Failsafe Point +9

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape View Post
    500-600 would be unlikely for this, or for any atom tablets with a digitizer?
    Agreed. I don't think that there will be anything for less than $600. At least not at release date. HP has not announced the X2's price because trey want to see how the press and public react to the device. I don't see much enthusiasm about it (comparatively) from either segment. Personally, I find it lame. HP has disappointed again. Maybe the Slate 8 will be nice...

On the other hand, from what I read online, the Surface has got everybody's attention. Both public and press have fallen in love with it. The Ativ seems to come in 2nd in popularity. And all the others seem to come in a distant, far away, 3rd... I think Microsoft and Samsung will easily outsell everyone else.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Hm. E-schreiber, I don't find anything lame about it all, seems like a very good option for the right user. But different strokes for different folks, right? We're not all business users. Perhaps you're just not a good fit for what this product is offering.

I don't need ports on my slate-- I would use it in the field or to draw. If I want ports I'd dock it. I'm unsure about Atom yet, but we'll see-- it's no different from any other Atom hybrid though, so I don't see the complaint. It also looks like it'll get fantastic battery life, with the dual battery system, and I love how it'll charge from the keyboard first. As for the media reaction, that's odd- I've seen only rather enthusiastic mini-reviews and spots on it, honestly. Great solid build, very light and sleek design, great battery life, very responsive, etc etc. All the typical stuff. Where's the lukewarm reception you're seeing? I'm not saying it's perfect (no pen silo), but I don't understand your attitude.

I mean, why not give it some credit for what it does right, and think about what it's user base might be, before going around spreading salt on everything?

BTW, Bronsky, what's the story on screen glare? Is it supposed to be worse than other recent slates? It seemed the same-- nice screen, good high nit rating (400 nits! Remember when that was nearly impossible?), but glossy. I haven't seen anything different. I'd love to get something with a better outdoor/high-glare screen, but nothing has been provided yet. I keep waiting for Motion to step up with something newer.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    BTW, Bronsky, what's the story on screen glare? Is it supposed to be worse than other recent slates? It seemed the same-- nice screen, good high nit rating (400 nits! Remember when that was nearly impossible?), but glossy. I haven't seen anything different. I'd love to get something with a better outdoor/high-glare screen, but nothing has been provided yet. I keep waiting for Motion to step up with something newer.
    I think you're correct that the Envy has a typical glossy screen, no better or worse than other glosy displays (actually it looks like it will be a bit brighter than most). I have a glossy display on my slate and will not own another one. I could be using my slate outside quite a bit and find that it is useless anywhere other than in an office, airplane, courtroom or maybe a dingy bar. I even struggle in airports, conference rooms and other places with large bright expansive glass areas that let in a lot of sunlight and have to look for places to work. One of the mandatory features of my next device is a non-glare display. I also had no success using non-glare screen protectors with the N-Trig touch and pen, so aftermarket correction did not work for me.

I assume the new Thinkpad tablet will have a matt display but that is an Atom device. I'm also hoping that the Surface has a matt display as well.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Agreed. I don't think that there will be anything for less than $600. At least not at release date. HP has not announced the X2's price because trey want to see how the press and public react to the device. I don't see much enthusiasm about it (comparatively) from either segment. Personally, I find it lame. HP has disappointed again. Maybe the Slate 8 will be nice...
    Actually that was more of a question, than a comment. But, I guess you sort of answered it, saying that you think there won't be any digitized tablets with Atom going for under $600 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    I assume the new Thinkpad tablet will have a matt display but that is an Atom device. I'm also hoping that the Surface has a matt display as well.
    Again I maybe referring to this a bit, but why not since I have it. I dunno if the Thinkpad Tablet 2 will be non-glossy, seeing as Tablet 1 is fairly glossy for something called a Thinkpad. I want to say vs my Touchpad it is a bit less gloss, but it also looks to be a bit lower in brightness at all levels. I am hoping that is change for 2, but who knows.

On a side note I kind of want to see if HP or anyone else will make a AMD based tablet with a digitizer.

Ah, ok. I agree that a matte display or a display with an anti-reflectie layer would be an amazing find. Truthfully, that's more important for my usage than anything else- I've just not found anything listed as such yet, so I sort of disregarded it. Remember that Panasonic Android tablet that they demoed in the Dallas Cowbuys arena last fall/ winter? Whatever happened to that? I'd love a win8 slate in the Toughbook line, but there hasnt been a single peep from them yet.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Wait and Hope.

Remember that Panasonic Android tablet that they demoed in the Dallas Cowbuys arena last fall/ winter? Whatever happened to that? I'd love a win8 slate in the Toughbook line, but there hasnt been a single peep from them yet.
    Funny you should ask. Looks like a September release in Asia. 10" tablet for $1,600. Panasonic Toughpad announced for Asia - Crave - Tablets - CNET Asia But, at the bottom, it says that this tablet should be released in an RT version in 2013. Note the pen silo.

Lol. Dude, who's their market? That price is crazy for an Android tablet. 8(

The weight and thickness isn't bad at all for such a tough machine (2 lbs and .7" thick), and the screen brightness looks good. It's got a pen too, which is good news. But 1600$ for an Android slate is .... Sigh. A very select market.
    Currently own:

Wait and Hope.

Lol. Dude, who's their market? That price is crazy for an Android tablet. 8(

The weight and thickness isn't bad at all for such a tough machine (2 lbs and .7" thick), and the screen brightness looks good. It's got a pen too, which is good news. But 1600$ for an Android slate is .... Sigh. A very select market.
    The place I have seen the toughbooks is in hospitals. Doctors don't seem to mind overpaying for hardware.

Thread Information