TC1100 Screen & boot problem

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default TC1100 Screen & boot problem

I have a TC1100 tablet. Yesterday it started acting strange. The display wouldn't light up when I turned it on. I removed the battery, hard drive, and power adapter for a few seconds. I also removed the user accessible RAM. Tried booting after each test. I did get it to boot to windows twice since yesterday. I thought it might be a hard drive problem so I set it up to run scandisk on the next boot. When it rebooted the screen started acting weird. There was a row of black blocks across the screen just under the middle when it was going through the scandisk. Then it appeared to freeze. I shut it off and then the screen wouldn't come back on. After several hours I finally got it to boot to the scandisk screen again. It wouldn't complete, and froze with a bunch of vertical white bars in about the same location on the screen. Rebooted again, and it won't do anything. The power light and charge light do come on.

Today, I tried again, and sometimes I can hear the windows theme playing, but only a black screen. Sometimes all I can hear is the hard drive and the fan spinning. Sometimes I can see the screen back light on, but no image. Just a faint glow.

Any ideas? Hard drive problem, RAM, inverter board, display, bad motherboard? I know this is an old tablet, but it works for what I need, just trying to figure out what happened to it.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: TC1100 Screen & boot problem

Well, I think I figured out my problem. I finally got it to boot and work correctly by pushing on the bottom of the tablet near where the keyboard plugs in. As long as I held pressure there, it would boot and the screen would work correctly. When I let up, the screen quit working, and eventually went blank. I found out that there is a problem with the solder on the graphic chips on HP computers. I guess they get hot and eventually the solder fractures causing a bad connection. The solution in to heat and reflow the solder. There are several videos on YouTube that demonstrate different methods of doing this. Some use a heat gun or light bulb. Others bake the board in the oven. Not sure which one I will try, but hopefully this will solve my problem. I'll post back my results.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

That is not the issue at all; the issue in your case would be a wire/ set of wires that are for the LVDS or CCFL/ Inverter are loose/ contacts are oxidizing, probably at the end that connects to the motherboard. The solder and GPU issue was only on a some of the TX series with certain Nvidia GPUs; and if your issue was solder coming un-soldered on the TC1100 the thing would have to be running as hot as the TX does [where you can't so much as touch the bottom of them they are so hot]; besides, putting pressure on the thing wouldn't work if the problem was an un-soldered component like the GPU, but it does work on wearing/ failing wires...
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I read something about the TC1100's having a problem with the GPU since it is located close to the keyboard connector on the motherboard. I assumed the solder cracked because of the movement of the keyboard connector area of the board.

I didn't think it was a problem with the backlight or the inverter because sometimes it won't boot correctly. Sometimes when I turned it on all I could hear was the fan spinning. Other times I could hear the windows music playing. I also tried an external monitor, and was still having issues. Wouldn't an external monitor work even if the inverter or backlight connections were bad? I was under the impression that if the GPU wasn't making connection, the computer wouldn't boot. Is this not correct?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think I mis-read your post; it doesn't sound like the LVDS/ CCFL; but I still doubt the GPU is un-soldered. It could be a motherboard issue (Though if traces actually broke/ solder joints were bad then it shouldn't work at all, even with pressure, so its probably something else), but it is more likely an issue with a wire/ cable that is loose/ falling apart [poor continuity]... then again it could be some other issue that is not going to be diagnosable beyond 'old computer that had something go wrong with the motherboard after using it for some time' and you would need a replacement TC1100... You can try baking your motherboard but it doesn't have 'bad solder' like the TX and the Nvidia GPU, and it doesn't get as hot to thermo-cycle/ shock the solder so IMO it shouldn't be the issue.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't taken it apart yet. Maybe tonight. I saw some YouTube videos on baking motherboards, but I'm not sure what time or temperature I need to use. Do I need to cover anything with foil or if I strip it down, is everything else going to be okay? Chip side up, I assume? Put on baking sheet covered in foil. Middle rack so it is away from the heating elements? I was going to try a heat gun, but I don't have one. I guess I also need to get some thermal paste for when I put the heatsinks back on.

Do you have any advice on any of this?

Thread Information