tx2000 windows 8 display driver

+ Reply to Thread
    shi
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default tx2000 windows 8 display driver

This is a longshot but, has anyone installed windows 8 on their tx2000?

When I install the video driver from hp.com the metro apps don't work and I'm unable to install the most recent video driver on there or the NVIDIA nForce Chipset/Network Drivers.

curious to see if anyone has similar issues or better yet a solution.

-Aloha

Super Moderator

Default Re: tx2000 windows 8 display driver

I can't help you with a solution, but you can try to use a driver from laptopvideo2go.com.

The only thing you need to do is to copy the supplied modified INF to the extracted driver package, and install.
    Tm2-2050ep (Core i3)

shi

Thanks Seketh, I've tried that with no success, but I might try again.

I found these and hopefully they work if not I need a new tablet anyways.
    Hope these help if other people are having similar issues.

NVIDIA Drivers Receive Windows 8 Certification NVIDIA

NVIDIA GeForce beta drivers released for Windows 8 RP - Neowin

Quote Originally Posted by shi View Post
    Thanks Seketh, I've tried that with no success, but I might try again.

I found these and hopefully they work if not I need a new tablet anyways.
    Hope these help if other people are having similar issues.

NVIDIA Drivers Receive Windows 8 Certification NVIDIA

NVIDIA GeForce beta drivers released for Windows 8 RP - Neowin
    let me know how it works! in case I lose track of this thread, PM me if you're results are positive.

I've pretty much given up on getting any Nvidia drivers to work for the TX2000 under Windows 8. I've played with multiple drivers from laptopvideo2go. I install them fine but after a couple minutes of use, my system will hardlock. I tried changing the amount of video memory in the BIOS all the way up to the max of 128 MB and it doesn't make a difference.

the default Microsoft basic driver works but the screen is just awful at 1024x768 stretched. but at least the laptop doesn't crash and hardlock.

I guess the TX2000 is an EOL device which is sad because it does work decently under Windows 8. losing multitouch abilities of Windows 8 is painful. but it works decently well for single touch and Windows 8 is pretty cool with it otherwise.

I just now tried to install the Vista tx2000 driver from HP (Nvidia 7.15.11.7713) on my windows 8 preview 32-bit. It failed claiming it was only designed for Vista or Vista64. Then I went to Device Manager and told the video driver to try to update and to search the folder to which HP's driver self-unziped itself for drivers. It found the driver and installed it. I've been watching hulu on it for an hour or so and it seems to work fine. Does external screen, appropriate resolutions, etc. Good luck!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Unfortunately, the tx2000z appears to give up capability under Windows 8. The Windows Experience Index dropped from 3.0 to 2.7. Specifically, the Graphics measurement dropped from 3.3 with Win7 to 2.7 with Win8. That was enough to make Microsoft Flight Simulator spot performing.

WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX (WEI)

HP tx2000z Win7HPx64 4GB: 3.0 (5.2, 5.9, 3.3, 3.0, 5.2)
    HP tx2000z Win8PROx64 4GB: 2.0 (5.2, 5.9, 2.7, 3.0, 5.2)

Index Breakdown Win8
    Processor: 5.1
    Memory (RAM): 5.9
    Graphics: 2.7
    Gaming graphics: 3.0
    Primary hard disk: 5.2

Graphics
    Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
    Total available graphics memory 1071 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1007 MB
    Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7991
    Primary monitor resolution 1280x800
    DirectX version DirectX 9

Since HP has pretty much abandoned us for driver updates, I went to NVIDIA to download the latest Windows 8 x64 update for the GeForce Go 6150 at
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx . Using Option 2, I let NVIDIA identify my OS and graphics unit to suggest the latest driver. This was the result:
    -----------
    NVIDIA Driver Downloads
    Installed Driver GeForce Go 6150 179.91
    The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.
    -----------

I thin went to HP Support and Downloads and permitted it to analyze my tx2000z to determine any updates. As expected, this was the result:
    -----------
    Serial Number: CNF81320V0
    Product Number: KX531AV
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
    Warranty status: Warranty has expired

No available updates for your product were found. Please select one of the options below to continue:

Software & Driver Downloads
    Support & Troubleshooting
    -----------

As we know, HP has stopped posting any updates for the tx2000z so we're out of luck with the HP Support site.

1. Are these the same WEI numbers other tx2000z owners with Windows 8 are seeing?
    2. Does anyone know of drivers for HP tablets that seem to work with any versions of Windows 8?

Windows 8 Pro 64bit works fine on the tx2000z except for the graphics driver. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant tells us that DigitalPersona Personal 3.1.0.3276, iTunes and HP Wireless Assistant 3.0.8.3 are not compatible with Win8; however, DigitalPersona Personal and HP Wireless Assistant seem to work fine.

If more tx2000z owners install Win8, we should try to put together a list of driver upgrades that work for key components. However, I would recommend remaining with Windows 7. Windows 8 has some cool features, but it isn't worth giving up performance capability.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cyberbiker; 10-29-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Correction of data
    HP tx2000z laptop, Windows 8 Pro x64, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-68 2.4GHz, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 4GB RAM, 8 cell battery. Also an Asus 1025CE netbook, Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Here is a link on the Windows 8 forum about Windows 8 nVIDIA driver updates. nVIDIA keeps updating to try to serve uses of its graphics cards. I'm a few hundred miles from my TX2000Z right now so I haven't been trying some of the new ones.

Latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Drivers for Windows 8
    HP tx2000z laptop, Windows 8 Pro x64, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-68 2.4GHz, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 4GB RAM, 8 cell battery. Also an Asus 1025CE netbook, Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have successfully installed it and it is working fine. I did upgrade to Windows 7 first which might have helped but except fro Bluetooth not working, video and everthing else seems to be working fine.

I did have to recalibrate the touch screen but just from the short time I have had it installed I am loving it. Makes it a fully functional computer again (Win7 pretty much trashed touchscreen).

There are a couple forums out there that I visited first before proceeding and they had listed simple solutions for the graphics issue with a one time edit to one of the video config files or something. Didn't save the link to the article but it wasn't hard to find. It also talked about the GPU cooling mod which I am going to do next to prevent the GPU fromburnout.

Good Luck.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick Update, I did find the link to that other helpful thread I referred to. TX2000 still going strong and working great with Windows 8. Now have to figure out how to get the screen to switch in tablet mode depending and which way is up. Works great in one direction but would like the option. Did I mention that the Pen works perfect too.

Good Luck

Windows 8 on an HP tx2000 -- misc notes : windows

Thread Information