Windows 8 32-bit Consumer Preview on a TC1100

+ Reply to Thread
    Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Windows 8 32-bit Consumer Preview on a TC1100

Just a note to inform anyone wondering about the Win 8 preview on the old TC1100, yes, it works.

I did an upgrade install on my Win 7 load on my 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM machine. Win 8 build 8250 is what I installed.

The only thing NOT WORKING is the WiFi because I had it off when I did the update. I remember having this same exact issue with Win 7 when I loaded it so if you are thinking about doing this make sure your WiFi is on when you do the update.

As for how it works it is pretty good. I have the Q-menu button mapped to the Start screen so that will pop up whenever I push the button. I also have the Touch Keyboard mapped to the Tab button so I can pop that up anytime I want. The Journal button is still mapped to OneNote like I had it under Win 7. The WEI still says 1.0 like it was under Win 7 but the window borders in desktop view look like Aero is enabled.

There are still things I am trying to figure out so if I find anything dramatic I will post it here.

Update:
    Every once in a while the pen stops working. The pen taps still register on the soft buttons so it is not the Wacom panel shutting down. Windows 8 just ignores the input I think. The mouse will move the pointer but the pen or scrollwheel will not. This is mostly in dialog boxes so the OS must be shutting pen input down. I would bet that if the TC had touch that may still work. Just an FYI, a pen only tabletpc may continue to have this issue.
    Last edited by dceggert; 03-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Windows 8 32-bit Consumer Preview on a TC1100

that sounds great from MS... in terms of lightness and compatibility to past editions they did quite a job... but then again, this just shows that never existed a tablet pc better than the TC 1100...
    I have a problem with pen input stopping when I get an OS dialog box (well, only those you get because of UAC settings, like when you install some new program for instance and the screen goes all grey with the dialog box asking you if you are "really really" serious about going ahead). The pen input stops working to resume only two or three seconds later, after I moved it around the screen... and, guess what, I am using a two months old 2760p! So I guess it is neither a Wacom problem nor a TC 1100 problem...

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Yes, confirmed in other posts, Microsoft seems to have demoted pen input in Windows 8 in favor of 'touch.' The dialog box, like the security warning for software install, disables pen input. You cannot click with the pen on the 'OK' or 'Cancel' like in previous versions of the OS. Not having a touch screen on the TC1100 it would appear that it is waiting for a touch command.

The keyboard and mouse work in these instances as well, but pen input has obviously taken a back seat in Windows 8. This is very sad....
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Yes, confirmed in other posts, Microsoft seems to have demoted pen input in Windows 8 in favor of 'touch.' The dialog box, like the security warning for software install, disables pen input. You cannot click with the pen on the 'OK' or 'Cancel' like in previous versions of the OS. Not having a touch screen on the TC1100 it would appear that it is waiting for a touch command.

The keyboard and mouse work in these instances as well, but pen input has obviously taken a back seat in Windows 8. This is very sad....
    Are you talking about the UAC prompt or the SmartScreen? Might be a hardware/driver thing, but I've able to still use my pen in these cases.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 128

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The TC1100 is still my favourite tablet of all time and I'd probably still have it if HP included Touch. Any chance of a picture with the Windows 8 metro start theme so I gave gaze lovingly?
    Owned: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga 11 (Orange!), MS SPro 1 again and now... Surface Pro 2 512GB. I like tablets!

Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually pen does work on warning dialog box (not the smartscren thing, there I never actually tried, but I guess it works) the ones you get when you install a new software and your UAC setting are "always notify" or near to "always notify"... it does lag for a few seconds, like for two or three seconds it appears as if it is disabled (there is no cursor), but then it comes back and I can actually use it on the dialog box.
    I am using an Elitebook 2760p CTO and corresponding drivers (almost all of them are installed without using "compatible mode")... if you are wondering, indeed win8 is a breeze!

Pen Pal - Newbie

I too am running Windows 8 on my TC1100. It offers a lot of great speed. I do have some issues as it was not a clean install. The sound hardware is not seen by the system and the Q menu will not install. As a result I have no control of the screen brightness. It is fine in low light but washes out rapidly in the office. Anyy clues short of doing a new install would be appreciated. Doc

Thread Information