buying a used tx1000 on craiglist any tips?

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default buying a used tx1000 on craiglist any tips?

obviously there has been a few trouble some spots with these tablets. One being the overheating GPU issue and wifi being missing... is there anything else to look for?

Perhaps I can run a GPU intensive app and see if it shuts down on its own? and see if wifi works i guess...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: buying a used tx1000 on craiglist any tips?

I wouldn't bother with a TX or even Tm2 series HP; for one the processors are underpowered (and in the TX's they run quite hot -so hot from what I read that you wouldn't want to touch the bottom of the machine at all); and then there are build quality issues; but IMO the biggest issue is that the screen is utter trash, awful viewing angles, dim, bad colors, not viewable in high outdoor or even indoor light... Unless the price is around $100-150 it isn't worth it as you can get yourself a HP 2730p for about $350 or less and it has a great Hydis screen that is almost standard and an outdoor Hydis option; then it has a Low Voltage Core 2 Duo that you can easily overclock and under volt with a modded BIOS so you can easily get a good bit more performance out of it; the only point where it is worse than the TX or Tm2 is the GPU department, but even then its not that big of a difference, and certainly not worth the trouble with the issues the machine inherently has -or the bad solder on the GPU that causes it to come unsoldered (I cant remember if it was the TX or TX2 that had this)

You ca also look into the TC4400 which is like a slightly older 2730p as its of the HP business lineup not the consumer crap that the TX's and Tm2 are from
    Last edited by Agent 9; 03-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

I wouldn't bother with a TX or even Tm2 series HP; for one the processors are underpowered (and in the TX's they run quite hot -so hot from what I read that you wouldn't want to touch the bottom of the machine at all); and then there are build quality issues; but IMO the biggest issue is that the screen is utter trash, awful viewing angles, dim, bad colors, not viewable in high outdoor or even indoor light... Unless the price is around $100-150 it isn't worth it as you can get yourself a HP 2730p for about $350 or less and it has a great Hydis screen that is almost standard and an outdoor Hydis option; then it has a Low Voltage Core 2 Duo that you can easily overclock and under volt with a modded BIOS so you can easily get a good bit more performance out of it; the only point where it is worse than the TX or Tm2 is the GPU department, but even then its not that big of a difference, and certainly not worth the trouble with the issues the machine inherently has -or the bad solder on the GPU that causes it to come unsoldered (I cant remember if it was the TX or TX2 that had this)

You ca also look into the TC4400 which is like a slightly older 2730p as its of the HP business lineup not the consumer crap that the TX's and Tm2 are from
    wow I'm from Canada so right now finding a TABLET THAT"S NOT A FREAKING APPLE OR ANDRIOD is like finding a needle in a haystack my only options are brand new ones for over 1000 and they are models I wouldn't want to break the bank with

I thought the tx1000 was focused on mutimedia use so I am shocked about what you just said about the screen quality! Its a shame that the unit gets too hot to the point you can't use it like a tablet...

The reason why I wanted a tx1000 was because this guy on CL is selling it for 340$ and I thought those specs were good enough to run windows 8 consumer preview. Not only that the tx1000 has a touch screen so being able to use the screen WITHOUT the pen is the sole purpose of wanting to mess around with Microsoft's new operating system.

I don't mind having a crappy GPU as long as it can run win8/720p movies to be honest... however this guy's price is FIRM so I might take your advice so I do thank you for the reply

also the guy said he upgraded the BIOS for the tx1000 so that the fan runs all the time to prevent overheating since I brought up that issue to see if he would lower the price. Does that make a difference or no?

Thanks again =]

Pen Pro - Senior Member

if you don't mind ebay, you won't have a problem finding a cheap tablet PC:
    HP Compaq EliteBook 2730p Notebook Tablet Dual Core 12" WiFi | eBay (just an example).

the tx series were absolutely terrible so i would stay far away from them. the tx1000/2000 also had the nvidia GPUs that were probably all defective, along with hp's poor cooling choices. the geforce 6150 wasn't really any good either, so most intel graphics are probably much better at this point.

the fan at max speed will only help for so long. i had a tx2500 (ATI graphics) and even with undervolting, it started having problems after 15 months. i bought a tm2 to replace it and the touchscreen/pen input stopped working after 15 months.
    ThinkPad X61 Tablet - L7500 | 4GB DDR2 | Crucial C300 64GB | 12.1" SXGA+

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post

Agent,
    I wish I had come across this post before I put my bid in on a TX2500.

what about for someone who is doing 3D CAD work. Would you still suggest the 2730p over the TX's? How much of a lag can be expected with the onboard video if using for 3D work / casual gaming?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

@superart
    The 2730p has a Low voltage Penryn Core 2 Duo and it has a Intel GMA 4500 GPU so it does pretty well (but thanks to the modded BIOS available you can overclock it easily by pushing to the next mutiplier; so for the 1.86Ghz L9400 it can go to 2.13Ghz and you can even under volt it so it runs a tad cooler). Personally I use Autocad 2010 as I don't like how the newer versions run, but with the 2010 version I can do a bit of 3D modeling (several dozen objects is often very smooth; some of the things I've done in the past are 2,000+ objects [according to properties] and it is smooth enough for me to view or work on -though it will start to run warm or even hot- but I know its a mobile device and am not too picky about smoothness because even on a really nice machine there are noticeable hick-ups and such), and mesh/ texturing is also doable), 2D doesn't seem to be a problem. The only real issue with it may be the amount of ram and type (its DDR2 so ram is expensive @ $170 for 8GB and about $50 for 4GB...

Also, after a bit of time with my new-to-me T4220 I think that that may be a decent option as well as long as you get one with a Penryn Core 2 Duo: plus side to it is the 9.5mm 2.5" HDD bay, and with a modular bay adapter it can take a second HDD/ SSD in the modular bay if storage space is essential. Max is 4GB DDR2 ram, and it has a slightly older X3100 GPU (its still comparable), though it has a Full Voltage Core 2 Duo processor that can be between 2.0 to 2.5Ghz depending on what processor it has (so that is better). I tried pulling up a few of my files and it seems to handle them as well as or just slightly worse than my 2730p does for 3D or 2D. I personally prefer a 5:4 or 4:3 screen for autocad work, but the 16:10 on the 2730p is sill adequate... a note: when I'm working on a heavier document on a mobile computer I will try to prop it up and keep a custom USB fan on it to keep it as cool as possible (its just a piece of a USB cable and a regular 80mm case fan)

If you'd like to ask me some specifics about the units I got, or have me try something specifically on any of them then let me know as I'd be glad to help (maybe post them in the other thread you started)
    Last edited by Agent 9; 05-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Well, I got outbid on the tx2500, so I guess I dodged a bullet on that one.

My main concern with the TC4400 and 2730P is the mono speaker. How is the sound on these? Is it descent, or do you absolutely need to have headphones with you to watch movies and stuff?

Thread Information