Broken Glass on Screen.. How to fix?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Broken Glass on Screen.. How to fix?

So my dog tripped over my power cord for my HP tablet and it fell onto the floor from dresser height. The glass between the screen & the plastic film holding the glass in is now broken. The screen works fine and in fact I'm using the tablet right now. What I am curious about is if there is a way to just remove the broken glass and use the computer without. To me it looks like it's all one piece but just want to know if anyone has tried the same sort of thing.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Broken Glass on Screen.. How to fix?

outside? inside? Are we talking about the screen cover? Or about the actual LCD/LED display assembly? Which model?

Pen Pal - Newbie

For all those who have had this problem, which I've seen tons of on this site with no replies there is a fix that will keep the pen working but the touch screen will be toast;

1. Turn off your pc and take out the battery
    2. Turn your screen around and lock facing up, like you were going to write on it
    3. There are 6 screws you need to take out. 4 are in the corners under rubber circles. They are philips head and very easy to take out. 4 more are under square rubber pieces. 2 are just above the speakers and 2 are beside your webcam.
    4. Start lifting up the plastic but bear in mind there is a plug for the finger print reader that you must unplug.
    5. Now you should be looking at your screen with no black plastic around it.
    *The screen is made up of 3 parts. The LCD screen which is on the bottom, then a thicker piece of glass which controls the touch screen, then a very thin piece of plastic.
    6. Take a thin knife or exacto knife and run it between the glass and the LCD very carefully, you'll see a thin black adhesive that holds them together. You must cut right through that all the way around the screen.
    7. Next carefully remove the glass and plastic away from the LCD being very careful not to scratch the screen.
    8. Clean off your screen with a slightly damp piece of paper towel to pick up the small fragments of glass.
    9. snap the plastic back in place and plug the fingerprint reader back in
    10. Replace all the screws.

You're done! The screen will work fine now as well as the pen, however, the touchscreen will no longer operate.

This entire procedure takes no more than 20 minutes.

Mine works great now!!

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

danmcclean,
    You have posted a super 'workaround' but if you want the touch capabilities back you may want to just watch ebay for a machine with a dead motherboard, or a replacement lcd/digitizer. New repair parts are just too darned expensive...you can usually buy a replacement machine for what the repair costs. The 'parts' do not appear frequently on ebay but they do show up none the less...it is just a matter of time!

Dan
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

I just want to say thank you. I found a replacement touchscreen glass sheet on Ebay, installed it using your directions, and my once-cracked and glitched computer is now functioning PERFECTLY, with a gorgeous, uncracked screen.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by danmcclean View Post
    For all those who have had this problem, which I've seen tons of on this site with no replies there is a fix that will keep the pen working but the touch screen will be toast;

1. Turn off your pc and take out the battery
    2. Turn your screen around and lock facing up, like you were going to write on it
    3. There are 6 screws you need to take out. 4 are in the corners under rubber circles. They are philips head and very easy to take out. 4 more are under square rubber pieces. 2 are just above the speakers and 2 are beside your webcam.
    4. Start lifting up the plastic but bear in mind there is a plug for the finger print reader that you must unplug.
    5. Now you should be looking at your screen with no black plastic around it.
    *The screen is made up of 3 parts. The LCD screen which is on the bottom, then a thicker piece of glass which controls the touch screen, then a very thin piece of plastic.
    6. Take a thin knife or exacto knife and run it between the glass and the LCD very carefully, you'll see a thin black adhesive that holds them together. You must cut right through that all the way around the screen.
    7. Next carefully remove the glass and plastic away from the LCD being very careful not to scratch the screen.
    8. Clean off your screen with a slightly damp piece of paper towel to pick up the small fragments of glass.
    9. snap the plastic back in place and plug the fingerprint reader back in
    10. Replace all the screws.

You're done! The screen will work fine now as well as the pen, however, the touchscreen will no longer operate.

This entire procedure takes no more than 20 minutes.

Mine works great now!!
    Is the Wacom integral to the LCD? I just bought a 2740 with a cracked glass (haven't got it yet). Don't care about touchscreen, only Wacom. So if I do this, the Wacom will work? That would be great. I assumed I'd have to buy a dead unit for parts.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Forgot to ask, if I do look for dead machine, what models will have compatible screens/connectors to the Elitebook 2740? Also, are daylight screens compatible, and what is the model number for those? Thanks. Tried asking on HP site, but apparently not compatible with my browser.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

@socialdavid

The Wacom pen (not finger touch) is a separate [flexible PCB] layer on the back of the screen, on units that had pen and touch the glass screen front had the capacitive lines integrated and then that connected (using a zif cable) to the Wacom pen's controller board on the back of the screen... replacing just the screen front will be almost impossible, and in all likelihood you will NOT be able to get a really good install assuming you can even find a suitable replacement front; the thing is that the LCD comes fused to the glass screen front (its an extremely thin front, a fraction of a mm) with some high strength sticky tape sort of stuff and part of the reason is to keep there from being any dust or debris from getting between the layers (this will be impossible for you to avoid, the dust and debris). I would recommend simply buying a complete '2740p screen assembly' and swapping it out after taking the base of the unit's keyboard and palm rest assembly off; something like this HP ELITEBOOK 2740P COMPLETE LCD SCREEN 597827-001 [[[TESTED ]]]] | eBay its not cheap though.

If you can live with the crack (if its not falling apart) and don't want to spend a pretty insane amount on a new screen (for $100-200 more or so you have yourself a whole 2740p, maybe sans HDD/ ram), then get a screen protector from Photodon or Exim, clean the screen of dust using a clean microfiber [or other tight weave cloth] and water or isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and then apply the screen protector so the crack doesn't catch on the pen or your skin. My little brother has used his cracked ipod touch for the past several years now and it doesn't seem to really bother him that much... I do warn you though that cracked glass only gets worse, and there is NOTHING you can do to stop that from happening

That said, I say you are FAR FAR better off simply A) returning it [even with shipping and whatever they may deduct] B) selling it off and trying to recoup losses C) keeping it as a secondary machine/ hook it up to a TV as a media machine of sorts [its quiet, small, and powerful, and power efficient, what more could you want for a HTPC, plus you probably got it cheap]; and then ensuring you get a different unit that is fully functioning and not damaged, no sense in futzing around with a broken screen front and dealing with all the headache it will bring
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Thread Information