Vista Screen rotation blurry (PICS)

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Vista Screen rotation blurry (PICS)

I noticed on my tx2500z when I switch to tablet mode, where it flips the screen, it suddenly appears rather blurry. Like the color alignment is off. Black text has a color halos around the edges.

At first I thought it was related to the touch layers and looking at the screen upside down. But no. If I use the rotate screen button to bring it back to normal, but still look at the screen upside down, it's perfect.

So why does the image quality get worse when the OS is rotated? Shouldn't it be just as sharp?

I didn't have time for the perfect stills, but all images where taken straight on at the screen without moving the laptop, except I rotated a few in PS to make comparing easier:

Take a look:
    From Windows Start Menu:

Brush settings in Photoshop that uses smaller text, making it even worse.

Anyone noticed this and fixed it with maybe new drivers, OS settings for text, or ATI control panel settings (assuming it's doing the rotation)?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Vista Screen rotation blurry (PICS)

I think it is because you've activated Clear Type.
    At least on my PC with XP:TE this causes this blurry effect. Don't know why MS wasn't able to implement a display rotation independent clear type, but I think this causes all your problems.
    Deactivate that "feature" and test if the tablet mode is still blurry.

I don't know about cleartype but noticed that indeed there is some blurry-ness. However if you turn the screen/tablet 180 degree (otherway around) the blurry picture is gone and it is sharp again. This is the most convenient solution in my opinion. You still have the landscape picture.
    TX2500z with RM-70 (2.0 G), 4GB and 320 GB HDD

I'll test clear type when I get home. I've never enabled it. Are you saying it's turning it on when the screen is rotated, then off when back to normal?

Up to this point after I put it in tablet I use the rotate button to 180 the desktop and swing the laptop around to have the battery face me. This also improves the viewing angle and of course, the clearer picture.

Why does a feature like clear type make type less clear? I guess anti-aliasing on text is a bad idea on very small type. I'm beginning to think it's that since the photos show only the text having issues, while the check boxes and other graphics look fine in both.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

ClearType is not really anti-aliasing. It uses the pixel layout of your LCD to create a more pliant font.

To work you have to say the ClearType enginge how the pixels on your LCD are ordered (RGB or BGR). When your rotate your display this thing does not work any longer. Because now, you have neither RGB nor BGR.

According to Wikipedia
    Vertical sub pixel structures are fully supported in the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition[12] and in Windows Vista (referred to as "Y-direction anti-aliasing" in the section on the Windows Presentation Foundation).
    it should also work in portrait mode, I just don't see it working

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    To work you have to say the ClearType enginge how the pixels on your LCD are ordered (RGB or BGR). When your rotate your display this thing does not work any longer. Because now, you have neither RGB nor BGR.

According to Wikipedia

it should also work in portrait mode, I just don't see it working
    Wow, this sucks real bad. Now I atleast know why the screen looked so "blurry" when rotated...

Any chance this can be fixed with drivers? Does the Windows 7 have a fix for this?

I just disabled Clear type all together and has really helped. Never saw any benefit to it anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterrer View Post
    Wow, this sucks real bad. Now I atleast know why the screen looked so "blurry" when rotated...

Any chance this can be fixed with drivers? Does the Windows 7 have a fix for this?
    Maybe it really also works in Vista and XP:TE with the rotated screen and ClearType just looks that awful with vertical pixels.
    I also don't really like how it looks in landscape mode, even when set the right properties it still looks a bit blurry, especially when you're close to the display.
    That's why I've deactivated it too.

Thread Information