tx2500z keyboard not working

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default tx2500z keyboard not working

hey guys,
    i just started cmputer out of standby and the keyboard wont work at all...
    i restarted comp and still not working any hints
    ???
    thanks alot
    HP tx2500 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 2.2Ghz model.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: tx2500z keyboard not working

I am having the same annoying problem. It appears to be related to the F.08 BIOS. So if you are running on that....

See the F.08 BIOS thread. If you have that Bios, or recently upgraded to it, this happens. The BIOS appears to not help the OS recognize that you are not in tablet mode.

The workaround is to shut down, put the notebook in tablet mode, and when it boots, and you see the HP Logo while the BIOS is booting, Swivel the display into notebook mode and the machine will boot recongizing the keyboard.

I've not experimented with if this works come out of hibernate or standby, but I know the startup routine works.

The BIOS thread claims you can fix this by reseting the BIOS, or by reloading the keyboard drivers, but I've tried all of that to no success. HP Support appears clueless.

I'm thinking of flashing the BIOS back to F.05 where this problem didn't happen.

Hope this helps.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Here's how I fixed it:
    - Put the laptop in tablet mode and shutdown.
    - Disconnect the AC adapter
    - Take out the battery for ~10sec
    - Put battery back in
    - Connect AC power
    - Turn screen from tablet mode to normal mode.
    - Boot as normal

Your keyboard should work then.

It's only happened to me once, I figured it happens when you shutdown in tablet mode or boot to tablet mode. Just make sure that everytime you shutdown/boot you're in laptop mode and you'll be fine.
    HP TX2500z
    CPU: AMD Turion X2 Ultra | ZM-82 | 2.20GHz
    GPU: ATi Radeon HD3200
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio | 160GB | 5400RPM | 8MB Cache
    RAM: 3GB | PC2-6400 |

Tablet-Loving Student

that's called power-cycling. It's a common trick with most volatile-memory and standby-withstanding problems I don't know how many times I've had to do that to my HP tc1000. That, and millions of times to my router and modem :P
    It's a common technology fixed. Try it, see if it works!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, I know how to fix it and get my keyboard back, but here's where I find it extremely annoying....

I bought the docking station stand, the one that holds the tablet at an angle.
    However, because of the fact that the BIOS won't detect an external monitor, you have to boot in tablet mode if you want to see the log in screen.

Then when you sleep & pull the notebook out, run off to a meeting/class etc. You open up the lid and viola! No keyboard, you have to shut it down, reboot and all that. whats the point of being able to sleep, move between tablet and notebook mode if you can't use any of that stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love this toy, but I flashed the BIOS back to 3.5, and all is well again. The fans a bit noisy again, but I can deal with that.

I've read through some of the other threads, and the BIOS capabilites are a bit light on many fronts. No external monitor or keyboard detection until windows kicks in, all the niceties that would put his notebook over the top for me if HP would just pay attention to the details.

Thanks for letting me rant...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Make sure you guys write to HP to let them know. I will do the same.

Hopefully if enough people ***** and moan, they will do something about it.
    HP TX2500z
    CPU: AMD Turion X2 Ultra | ZM-82 | 2.20GHz
    GPU: ATi Radeon HD3200
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio | 160GB | 5400RPM | 8MB Cache
    RAM: 3GB | PC2-6400 |

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Where can I get the old BIOS file?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Apparently the offending BIOS has been pulled from HP's support site. So hopefully this is a sign they are fixing this and other problems with it.

Pen Pal - Newbie

made a ticket earlier this week with HP, but I notice BIOS F.09 just came out. Maybe I'll wait a bit before trying that one.

The ticket details and the response:

Dear HP:

I have a tx2510us. I recently updated the BIOS to version F.08. Now when I start up the computer in tablet mode, and switch to notebook mode, the keyboard stops working. I must shut the computer down, pull the battery, out, press the power button for 15 seconds, re-insert the battery, then restart it in notebook mode in order to get the keyboard working.

It never did this with the prior BIOS F.05. THis is extremely annoying especially when used with yout tablet stand. In order to see the login screen (BIOS won't recognized and display to an external display) I have to boot in tablet mode.

then when I remove it from the dock and try to use it in notebook mode, the keyboard doesn not work.

Are you planning to address this in a future BIOS update? If so, any idea when it might be released?
    troubleshooting : I flashed the BIOS back to F.05 and this problem dissapears. I flash the BIOS back to f.08 and it re-appears. I've flashed it back to f.05, and the problem dissapears.

I've tried uninstalling/re-installing the keyboard drivers, and it seems to have no effect

I'm pretty confident its the BIOS, not a driver or anything

The Response:

I gather from your mail that your tx2510us notebook keyboard does not work after installing the BIOS update F.08.

I understand your concern and will make sure that I give you the appropriate information.

Donald, the latest BIOS F.08 for your notebook might have some issues. I request you to continue using the old BIOS on your notebook until a new version is released. However, your message has been reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate individuals. We can not guarantee the exact release date of the new BIOS update as this is decided by our engineering team. Once the new BIOS update is released it will be updated in our webpage www.hp.com.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I've installed the new Bios and still having the keyboard problem.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. I hadn't fully restarted in notebook mode. Works fine.
    Last edited by kapblp; 11-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information