Solution: HP tx Jumping/Clicking Mouse Cursor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Lightbulb Solution: HP tx Jumping/Clicking Mouse Cursor

I suffer an acute case of the ghost-actuated mouse cursor in the system tray (notification area), to the point the computer is completely useless. When I first searched the Web for answers, little was to be found; now, it suddenly seems to be as popular as influenza, heartburn, and ulcers. I've suffered plenty of the latter over this issue, so here's the gist of what I have to say:

A carefully placed piece of aluminum foil actually resolves the problem. (!)

Details: When searching for answers a few months ago, the few forum posts I found elsewhere claimed that QC-challenged touchscreens sometimes develop this problem due to electromagnetic interference. I noticed that the screen only had this problem when it was not rotated out of the normal laptop position; rotating the screen by several inches allowed me use of the computer, but blocked the keyboard, necessitating use of an external USB keyboard and rendering my "laptop" non-lappable in practice. I also noticed that the area where the mouse cursor clicks wildly is in the system tray---directly adjacent to the main exhaust fan and, I presume, the processor. (I have not checked the service manual to verify this.)

So I carefully folded a piece of aluminum foil and placed it so that it lays flat from the hinge to the edge side to side, all the way up to the edge of the keyboard in front, and a few inches up the back of the screen in the rear. This completely resolves the issue, except when the foil slips. It is also a terrible inconvenience which impairs portability and makes my $1400 machine look like a makeshift piece of junk---in other words, it makes it look like an HP. (Can you tell how happy I am with them?)

Well, at least my hardware no longer gets "Safely Removed" without my involvement. Certainly, it does interfere a tiny bit with my wireless reception. But now I can actually type, surf the Web, and otherwise use the computer. I suppose dealing with HP equipment is a lesson in tradeoffs, after all.

I have not yet experimented with the exact size the foil needs to be, or whether I can figure out how to permanently secure it. I also have some other hypotheses about potential workarounds, but have not yet tried the same. Real life has a way of soaking up time...

I have not yet tried sending the machine in question for servicing; but given my experience with HP service and support in the past, I'd almost rather enjoy a root canal than attempt that option.

In quality terms, at this point, HP is one short rung up in hell from Dell. I'll bet a whole dollar this screen was assembled in China and would poison my dog if I fed it to him.

If HP solves this one by building in a little shielding (rather than doing the right thing in engineering or QA), they may feel free to PM me for the address where they should send the check.

I hope this helps someone. I wish I'd had this tip when the problem started, just a few weeks after I bought this scrapheap.

Prose Eleven
    Last edited by prose; 10-12-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added note re effect on wireless.

Think tank & Designer

Default Re: Solution: HP tx Jumping/Clicking Mouse Cursor

Sorry, but..which TX model are we talking about here? Active or passive digitizer?
    Fujitsu Lifebook T5010| Intel C2D T9400 2.53 Ghz | 4GB Ram | 320 GB 7200 HDD | Atheros XSPAN ABGN | Modular Bay Battery | Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (bluetooth)

A day spent without learning something is a day wasted.

Pen Pal - Newbie

HP tx2000, active digitizer.

Pen Pal - Newbie

P.S.---I would not express such a level of vitriol toward HP over one such issue in isolation. However, HP has outstanding non-technical issues with me which speak unfavorably to their character as a company; and from the number of complaints regarding this and other defects, they are clearly downright sloppy in engineering and QA. I am therefore less than inclined to be charitable in my view of what are evidently not isolated manufacturing defects.

Think tank & Designer

Prose, lol I don't disagree. The bigger they are, as they say...

I'm wondering if you can achieve the same fix using a piece of screen mesh, like what you would have outside of your window. If that does fix it, you could cut it, open the TX2000 and place it above the processor. Since its got holes it wont increase the temperature in there...at least Theoretically.
    Fujitsu Lifebook T5010| Intel C2D T9400 2.53 Ghz | 4GB Ram | 320 GB 7200 HDD | Atheros XSPAN ABGN | Modular Bay Battery | Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (bluetooth)

A day spent without learning something is a day wasted.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Have you even attempted a support call about this? If so do they acknowledge a problem? I was afraid to send my computer in a few months ago and was amazed at the speed at which they solved my problem. It was a simple solution, replace the screen assembly and motherboard. But it took at total of 5 days from mail in to receipt.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Thumbs down Re: Solution: HP tx Jumping/Clicking Mouse Cursor

Quote Originally Posted by prose View Post
    A carefully placed piece of aluminum foil actually resolves the problem. (!)
    Thanks for the help... However, the foil would diminish the exterior asthetics of the machine. I guess I'm going to send my Tx in to HP. I don't want my computer to look like I built it myself out of scrap metal (which would actually be cool if I really did). Though it's not, I spent nearly $1400 for this.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Please Watch this video on youtube : HP TX2000SERIES POINTER PROBLEM
    Tags: hp pointer problem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhFwv6nfcLM
    This video explains the problem with HP Tx series Tablet PCs
    Thanks

Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem with the first TX I had. It took me weeks to nail down what was going on and I found foil worked, but I had to wrap just about the whole monitor with it!

My interactions with HP should not be expressed in public, but I have very little good to say about them. After much debate with "managers" at HP service I got them to send me a TX2500. While this computer "works" I've already had the DVD fail and the HD is giving errors. I don't even use this thing much and it's one of the worst computer products I've ever owned.

If your pointer is giving you fits...HP will not even consider the possibility that the product is junk. It is not fixable with anything HP is willing to fix and you'll just have to demand that they replace the whole computer.

Good luck!

Phone Expert

I experienced this problem more acutely running OSX, but happened twice in windows vista. I fixed it by cleaning my trackpad and getting the dried kool-aid (damn cats) out of the little dimples in it.

Thread Information