What is sideport memory and how to use?

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default What is sideport memory and how to use?

Question in the title

Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Default Re: What is sideport memory and how to use?

thank you for directing me

Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Quote Originally Posted by seeking2 View Post
    thank you for directing me
    No problem, and also from what I understand about it, it just seems to be something akin to "additional ram". Hopefully an expert can come in here and give a proper explanation though.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Sideport memory is basically what ATI calls the dedicated frame buffer memory for the integrated graphics chip, in this case with the tx2500z, there is 64MB of local memory dedicated to graphics.

Sideport memory is runs considerably faster than system memory, therefore providing noticeable increases in performance over standard IGPs which constantly accesses system memory.

Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cloudnine View Post
    Sideport memory is basically what ATI calls the dedicated frame buffer memory for the integrated graphics chip, in this case with the tx2500z, there is 64MB of local memory dedicated to graphics.

Sideport memory is runs considerably faster than system memory, therefore providing noticeable increases in performance over standard IGPs which constantly accesses system memory.
    Ah, so in this case, the IGC has shared memory with the ram, but this sideport memory gives 64MB of dedicated memory (ram?) to the IGC?

Thank you for all of your replies....I guess if I am to understand this properly.....the only thing that I have to be worried about is that it is installed.......beter to have installed then not.

Again,

Thank you

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    Ah, so in this case, the IGC has shared memory with the ram, but this sideport memory gives 64MB of dedicated memory (ram?) to the IGC?
    Yeah, the main reason for the frame buffer is that the IGP need not have to access the memory controller which in AMD systems is located in the cpu to access the memory. In earlier platforms this used to wake the cpu up from low power state just to refresh the buffer. Thats why in Griffin the memory controller has its own separate power plane, so even if the IGP needs to refresh it doesnt need to access the cpu at all(if it has sideport memory) or if necessary just uses the memory controller to access the RAM not waking up the cpu cores from their low power state.
    HP tx2500...AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB PC2 6400, ATi Radeon HD3200, Fujitsu 320GB 5400rpm, 8 cell, 12.1" WXGA, Windows Vista HP x64
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400...Intel Core 2 Duo T9400, 2GB PC3 8500, ATi Radeon HD3470/Intel X4500MHD, Hitachi 160GB 7200rpm, 9 cell, 14.1" WXGA+, Windows Vista Business

Thread Information