HALP! Lose Hinge Issue (tx2000)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Exclamation HALP! Lose Hinge Issue (tx2000)

Alright... I've had this computer for about 3 months and out of nowhere (about 2 weeks ago) the hinge got loose

I'm very nice to this device and nothing I've done to it could have caused this...

I love my tablet but this is simply unacceptable and I was wondering what other people might think of my predicament

The screen when in "laptop mode" wobbles up and down (about 1" of play)

This makes it a HUGE pain in the ars to try and tap the screen like this...

The round part where it swivels is working fine, so it seems the issue has to do with the area where the monitor connects...

Some options I've considered (pardon my ignorance, I don't know what my options are with the basic warranty):

• Return, maybe spend a little extra for a tx2500

• Return and look at other tablets/brands

• Have HP repair it

• Return it for credit towards newer model?

(if it's not obvious, I'd like to update to the tx2500, this god awful onboard video is killing me)

I didn't get the extended warranty, however I do have the basic year warranty that comes with it...
    (does this mean that I can't return it for my money back?)

/////////////////////////////////

Oh, on a side not, there's a tiny little speck of dust or something under the passive digitizer... it's been there since I got it, but I've just been ignoring it.

Video1:
    http://www.aluminumwrench.com/faultyhinge.avi
    http://www.aluminumwrench.com/faultyhinge.zip
    Last edited by Juice; 07-27-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: HALP! Lose Hinge Issue (tx2000)

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Alright... I've had this computer for about 3 months and out of nowhere (about 2 weeks ago) the hinge got loose

I'm very nice to this device and nothing I've done to it could have caused this...

I love my tablet but this is simply unacceptable and I was wondering what other people might think of my predicament

The screen when in "laptop mode" wobbles up and down (about 1" of play)

This makes it a HUGE pain in the ars to try and tap the screen like this...

The round part where it swivels is working fine, so it seems the issue has to do with the area where the monitor connects...

Some options I've considered (pardon my ignorance, I don't know what my options are with the basic warranty):

Return, maybe spend a little extra for a tx2500

Return and look at other tablets/brands

Have HP repair it

Return it for credit towards newer model?

(if it's not obvious, I'd like to update to the tx2500, this god awful onboard video is killing me)

I didn't get the extended warranty, however I do have the basic year warranty that comes with it...
    (does this mean that I can't return it for my money back?)

/////////////////////////////////

Oh, on a side not, there's a tiny little speck of dust or something under the passive digitizer... it's been there since I got it, but I've just been ignoring it.

~I'll probably post a vid later...
    If you're able to have it returned, return it and look at the TX2500. I'd stay away from the 64-bit windows though - I thought seriously about it and in the end the compatibility issues just can't seem to make it worthwhile for me.

Tablet Lead Mod (Retired)

I'm not sur you're going to be able to return it after 3 months.

You can see if hp will repair it under warranty.

and please tell me you weren't writing on the screen with it in laptop mode?

I do not respond to PM's or emails for personal support.
    Please direct your queries to the appropriate forums, our community is willing & able to help!

Quote Originally Posted by meng-chieh View Post
    I'd stay away from the 64-bit windows though - I thought seriously about it and in the end the compatibility issues just can't seem to make it worthwhile for me.
    I run x64 on all of my machines without any issues whatsoever...

I don't see what that has to do with a faulty screen hinge...

Quote Originally Posted by Drtigerlilly View Post
    I'm not sur you're going to be able to return it after 3 months.
    I imagine not... but I won't find out until I try

Quote Originally Posted by Drtigerlilly View Post
    and please tell me you weren't writing on the screen with it in laptop mode?
    uh... after paying so much for it, I'd kind of expect it to handle a few taps while opened...

////////////////////////////////////////////////

anyways... I've put up a video.. granted it's from the webcam...

I'll put up another with a separate camera eventually...

haha yeah, I wasn't trying to say that the faulty hinge has anything to do with the 64-bit windows. I was merely suggesting that if you were to go for the TX2500 that you should look at 32-bit windows. But since you've had no problems, go for it!

Pen Pal - Newbie

I know you have passed your return period if you purchased from the HP US Home & Home Office Store, as you only get 21 days from the date of delivery. If you purchased elsewhere (say, Best Buy, for example) your return period is dependent upon that company (Again, for example Best Buy's policy is only 30 days). So it seems like you are SOL on a return...

That being said, your best option then is to send it in for repairs if you don't need it for a while. Despite some bad stories, HP is *usually* pretty good about making repairs and getting your device back to you within a couple weeks.

Also, you could put it up on ebay and get something else... Is the hinge flex only forward/backward when in tablet mode? Does it move if you don't push on it?

Quote Originally Posted by twistntouch View Post
    I know you have passed your return period if you purchased from the HP US Home & Home Office Store, as you only get 21 days from the date of delivery. If you purchased elsewhere (say, Best Buy, for example) your return period is dependent upon that company (Again, for example Best Buy's policy is only 30 days). So it seems like you are SOL on a return...
    blegh...

That being said, your best option then is to send it in for repairs if you don't need it for a while. Despite some bad stories, HP is *usually* pretty good about making repairs and getting your device back to you within a couple weeks.
    ~sigh~ School starts in less than a month. I suppose I can use my macbook until it comes back...

Also, you could put it up on ebay and get something else... Is the hinge flex only forward/backward when in tablet mode? Does it move if you don't push on it?
    you mean laptop mode?^

and I don't have to push it, I can just tilt it forward or back and it falls whichever way gravity is pulling it...

I'll try and get another video up soon~monday (need to get a camera first)

Wink Re: HALP! Lose Hinge Issue (tx2000)

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post

The tx2500 doesn't have a dedicated graphics card either, but it's still the best available in a tablet PC
    Proud owner of a tx2500z

warranty repairs is the way to go. Or open it up and see if you can and tighten up a screw or get out the hot glue gun. It would be nice If you could return a computer after using it a year for a full refund. Expecially when they come out with a better newer faster toy. Buy the 2500 use it at school have your 2000 repaired and then post it on Craigs List or eBay. Buy accidental damage warr for the new one.

What he said, Buy a new tx2500 with the $500 coupon and just sell your tx2000 because repairs will probably cost too much. Plus, I have a hunch that it's just a loose screw or something. I have a dv6000 that had the same problem and it was just a loose screw I fixed myself. I'd check out the repair manual if you can find it online somewhere.
    Proud owner of a tx2500z

Thread Information