geek squad

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: geek squad

Pen Pal - Newbie

Smile geek squad

Just bit the bullet and bought a tx2500 a few days ago. Build date is the 15th but i do not have much faith! I got the 32 bit, 2.2, 320gb. My quiestion is about geek squad. since I know how to operate computers but not familiar with the internal workings and software. So I was wondering if the geek squad deal for $30.00 is a good deal. The website describes it as this

" * Perform system updates and improve PC speed and performance, including startup and shutdown optimization, Windows updating, menu navigation improvement, quick launch and taskbar cleanup and program shortcut creation
    * Enable basic security functions, including antiphishing and pop-up blocking activation in Internet Explorer
    * Remove unwanted programs and trialware
    * Create desired user accounts (if applicable)
    * Test and verify PC hardware and software functionality"

should I get it done? what has been your experience with them(if any)? can I trust them or am i running a risk becasue i dont want them to delete some tablet function?

Thank you!

EDIT: also any accessories that are a must have?
    Last edited by ATM4U; 07-08-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: forgot something

Art
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: geek squad

I'd say it depends on how tech-savvy you are. You said you're not familiar with the innner workings, but if you wouldn't mind learning a few tricks, most of that stuff is simple and easy enough to do yourself. If you don't like getting down and dirty with the workings of a machine then you could get them to do it for you. Personally I think you'd be wasting your money on paying someone to do that stuff, but maybe that's because I like doing this kind of thing myself.

Fujitsu T2010 User

Half that stuff can be done by deleting icons, removing software through the control panel, and stopping certain stuff from opening up using msconfig in the run menu.

My personal two cents, read up on how to do these things it will end up saving you money in the long run. I detest Geek Squad and similar computer services, they charge a fortune for the simplest things.
    Last edited by Seb656; 07-08-2008 at 07:11 AM.
    My Setup: Fujitsu Lifebook T2010
    4gb DDR2 667 Corsair RAM, 1.2ghz ULV Core 2 Duo CPU, 200gb 7200rpm Hitachi HDD, Windows XP Tablet.
    Other toys: Fujitsu T2010 Docking Station, Opticbook 3600, 4gb Corsair Flash Voyager Mini, Samsung T260HD (TV/Monitor)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

• Perform Windows Updates (Type in "Windows Updates" to the start menu)
    • IE prompts to enable anti-phishing on first launch... and pop-up blocking is on by default
    • Remove unwanted programs by going to Control Panel and searching for "uninstall"
    • Create user accounts... well, I'm sure you have the one you're on now. If you need more, go to Control Panel and search for "add user"
    • Test and verify hardware and software... you're using it now... does it work? good

*BAM* That'll be $30

Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're reaaaaaaaallllly not tech savvy and have the money to spend, I'd say go for it, but most of this stuff is fairly easy to do and you might end up becoming more proficient in computers by doing it yourself

Scribbler - Standard Member

all these "tech services" are rip-offs

Pen Pal - Newbie

HAHA tell me about it. I used to be a customer engineer for this medical company that sold medical imaging equipment i.e. ultrasound machines, X-ray, etc. and on one call I had, this customer experienced a blackout and thought they blew the power supply. Needless to say I flew out there, found out it was just the stupid circuit breaker switch but we still charged them over $6k same with the monthly service contracts we sold. $400 a month just to clean out their systems and delete their hard drives. A ripoff yea I totally agree, its a dog eat dog world out there. If only people took the time to learn, it's not that hard seriously as these guys are tellin' you.

Thread Information