I *think* I got rid of the CPU noise for good, on Core Duo. Please read. - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: I *think* I got rid of the CPU noise for good, on Core Duo. Please read.

I will update this thread (or do a new one? what do you think?) to make it easier to apply this solution. RM Clock has too many options and it may be confusing. I plan on doing it kinda "For Dummies...", I hope I can post it by the end of the week. It will set up EVERYTHING to allow for max battery and I will take the steps necesary to avoid heating up the machine.

The noise was also persistent in Win Vista and went away with RM Clock.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I will make another thread I think 'cuz this one is getting too big. Big ups for lousy manufacturing that keeps us on our toes lol

Default Re: I *think* I got rid of the CPU noise for good, on Core Duo. Please read.

I think you should start a new thread, to make it easier to find the info without going through the other 6 pages....

But then then P8rson might come around and say that the forums are fragmented...

I dunno ^_^
    Gateway CX210X | 2.0GHZ C2D | 2GB RAM | 80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD | ATI X1400 |DVD±R/±RW

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gennaro View Post
    I think you should start a new thread, to make it easier to find the info without going through the other 6 pages....

But then then P8rson might come around and say that the forums are fragmented...

I dunno ^_^
    It is only fragmented when you have the very same topic posted twice and being discussed with differing or conflicting answers.
    This only causes confusion and fragmentation.

If you do not like this, take it up with another member of staff.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help Yubastard!! That high pitch noise was driving me crazy while studying in the law library. No more high pitched sounds!!!

So far I have been loving my new Dell E1405 with the core 2 duo. I havent' had any problems with vista yet, seems to be running smoothly. I like all the new graphical improvememts. I just wish the e1405 had a different option for the graphics card.

Justin

well I was going to update the thread and make it Vista/XP friendly but I just can't get it to work on Windows Vista... It doesn't seem to do anything... it's like if Vista don't recognize it, hmm... I wonder if it has to do something with permissions and whatnot...

but the old "Run HLT..." seems to work at silencing the noise but it's no good with battery longevity, same as before, so it should be doing something... the noise is driving me mad!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! why, oh why!??!

I will keep trying but pardon me if I can't help anymore... :*(*****0

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just got an HP Pavilion dv6000 running vista home basic. I've noticed that damn annoying noise and have been trying like crazy to get rid of it. I've tried contacting HP by phone, chat, and email and they haven't been any help. I tried your method and the sound mostly went away but some still remains. Also I had a problem with one of your steps:

for AC power choose Maximal Performance profile and, under AC tab, check "Use P-States..." and "Use Throttling(ODCM)", use index #6 for both.

For my P-States there are only 5 indexs, so I used that one. Maybe I'm using the wrong version of CPU clock? I'm using RightMark CPU Clock Utility version 2.2

Also, the noise is slightly louder on batteries. Please reply

*Edit* Oh yeah, my processor was constantly at 42 degrees celsius and the fan was basically running continuously so I put AC power to no management. That worked a little better but my processor is still in the high 30s low 40s and now in addition to the noise, the fan churns like crazy. Any advice there?
    Last edited by JayZee2010; 03-17-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a hp pavillion dc6245ca (vista, bios 16 - newest) - same problem. i owned the thing for 2 weeks before i started using it and so got screwed with this noise problem

read a bunch of threads.

RM Clock - run HLT obviously works but messes with the CPU.

your method described on page 1 actually worked. it was the "Enable Popdown Mode" at the end that was the kicker.

one thing: i wasn't able to enable Hard C4 (it's greyed out)

the noise stopped with your suggestions. CPU usage isn't 100%!! temp is 39-45 (according to RMClock). The fan turns on a lot more frequently though (to bring temp down to 39... then it goes back up within a few minutes... then fan back on again)... i guess i have to live with that.

the usb solution listed in many places didn't work... as my laptop came with all the boxes unchecked.

the only thing i didn't try is disabling the C4 power option on the bios... as was suggested elsewhere.

but thanks for this fix.

HP customer service is shockingly brutal about this... and i'd sign on if someone ever sued.

hey, no prob!

those ppl from RM Clock have some nifty tools in there, havn't tried 'em all but will. Sadly for me isn't working anymore but anyways Vista has eliminated this problem for me, but yeah, that one last option is the one that does the job.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I am planing to buy my first notebook and HP pavilion dv6134 was a number one so far. I came across this problem with the high pitched noise which is a good reason for me why to put hands off it. But if Yubastard`s way of fixing it would work, I`wouldn`t hesitate to buy a pavilion even tomorrow. I would like to ask about few things to be sure first:

1) Does this solution fix the noise on any notebook? Because it would be dumb if I found that while relying to it, it is useless for me. (I realise that Yubastard, you are not a HP technician and you are not responsible for anyone`s notebook, I don`t want to put pressure on you, I only want to know from you and other users their experience and suggestions )

2)From what I read so far, RM Clock increases enegry consumtion. This is important for me, beacuse one of the reasons why I want to choose pavilion is that my number two, Compal HEL80 VBI notebook, has shorter batery life. If, by applying RM Clock, this advantage of pavilion would fade away, I would probably choose Compal.
    Many thanks for responses.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I`m so stupid, there is one other thing that I would like to ask: Does this problem occur also on pavilions with AMD Turion?

Thread Information