Bluetooth hardware not detected

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Bluetooth hardware not detected

Hiya folks,

I'm running Vista Ultimate right now on my TC4400, and it's running really great. So far I haven't had any real hardware issues: the occasional keyboard fiasco, but that's about it. However, I'm going to be temporarily moving out of my apartment for a short while, and I don't want to have to bring all my computer stuff with me.

My problem is that my bluetooth module isn't detected by Windows Vista. For example, in the "Device Manager" Windows doesn't show any evidence of having a bluetooth radio. Is there any way to force install a driver or something so that I can get my Bluetooth working? I plan on using my Bluetooth to sync my Treo to my tablet, so I don't have to bring so many cables with me while I'm away from home.

What weirds me out is that in the Control Panel, there is that "Bluetooth Devices" application that supposedly detects nearby BLuetooth devices. I'm assuming that having Bluetooth and using the "Bluetooth Devices" application are two completely separate things.

By the by, I'd really appreciate some help as soon as possible, as I'll be moving out in the next few weeks (around the 2nd week of Oct)

Thanks!
    daver

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Bluetooth hardware not detected

anybody?

you mean to tell me that nobody has had troubles with bluetooth before?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

still nobody?

i udnerstand that there have been driver issues with Vista and bluetooth, so would this be one of them?

"I will do science to it"

Hi daver,

Note: I have not tried these instructions, thus your mileage may vary.

I don't have Bluetooth, nor Vista, but you were asking about forcing a driver to be installed - have you tried going to the Control Panel then Add Hardware? Then when presented with the question of whether the hardware device is connected or not, click Yes, then next. Then a list appears, and scroll all the way down to the bottom and select "Add a new hardware device" then next. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), click next. Select Network adapters, next. Under Microsoft, select Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI), next. Then it installs. Hopefully it finds and installs and puts the bluetooth hardware device in the device manager.

Have you also tried getting Windows, irregardless of whether it shows up in the device manager or not, to find and discover bluetooth-enabled devices? Check this Vista Help article out.
    "Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"
    Latin saying, "Remember to keep a calm mind in difficulties"
    Tablet PC General FAQ WTPCSIB? FAQ TPCR Forum Rules

Search! Your question may have been already answered!

Mobile Mini Roadmap:
    Intel: Sandy Bridge 2ndGen. 32nm / Huron River (Q1 2011); Ivy Bridge 22nm (2011)
    AMD: Platforms: Sabine/Fusion (2011); Brazos/Fusion (H1 2011)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SimsHsia View Post
    I don't have Bluetooth, nor Vista, but you were asking about forcing a driver to be installed - have you tried going to the Control Panel then Add Hardware?
    I've tried that route, but I didn't know which of the hardware it was listed under. As you know, there's a billion different hardware vendors in that list, with another billion other things listed under those as well. I just got lost at that point. So I'm willing to try about anything that doesn't mean voiding a warranty or killing myself.

Then when presented with the question of whether the hardware device is connected or not, click Yes, then next. Then a list appears, and scroll all the way down to the bottom and select "Add a new hardware device" then next. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), click next. Select Network adapters, next. Under Microsoft, select Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI), next. Then it installs. Hopefully it finds and installs and puts the bluetooth hardware device in the device manager.
    I've just completed exactly what you said, and it got through the "installation" of the new hardware. at the end, it gave me an error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". but at least for now it shows up in my Device Manager. that's a start.

i'm going to try and install the Bluetooth driver provided by HP now. i'll update with my status soon.

Have you also tried getting Windows, irregardless of whether it shows up in the device manager or not, to find and discover bluetooth-enabled devices? Check this Vista Help article out.
    i did try this before. Windows would try to find a bluetooth device, and then come up empty-handed each time.
    Last edited by daver; 10-07-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

UPDATE:

SUCCESS!!! I've managed to get the Bluetooth module working in Vista.

The solution? Surprisingly, by installing the HP Wireless Assistant program for Windows XP I was able to get things running. As it turns out, upon turning on the Bluetooth module (once you've installed the HPWA program), Vista auto-detects the Bluetooth module and installs the needed drivers.

With this, I can now leave behind my USB cable for my Treo on trips and can sync/connect to the internet with my phone via Bluetooth.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the same problem....Can you please tell me exactly what you have done....Thanks in advance.....Every single step if possible

Pen Pro - Senior Member

read my previous post very carefullly. i fully stated that the XP version of the HP Wireless Assistant works perfectly with Vista. basically, don't use the Vista version of the HP Wireless Assistant. that's all there is to it.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Where to get the XP version

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes i tried that...but it didnt work....can u tell me anything more abt the problem...can i have ur mail id

Thread Information