Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (x) / fashion

Default Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

For the old creatures from the Jurassic like me out there: you can fight extinction a bit longer! I just realized the Fujitsu Q702 -- strangely low key around here (?!?!) -- is available with downgrade rights to Win7 and it "seems" that there's an option to have it shipped with both Recovery Discs in the box (see item number: XBUY-Q702-W7D-001). Maybe it's even possible to have a dual-boot Win7-Win8 setup on the Q702?!

However, continuing with the tradition of the season (ie, compromises), I'd have to give up on having the silo on the slate, since Fujitsu engineers "figured out" that people are more likely to use the Pen when the device is on Laptop Mode.... WTF?!?! What's the digitizer on this thing? Probably the new N-trig, which, according to the people on the Duo 11 forum, is good enough for non-artists. Okley-dokley neighbourino! I'd also be fine with an i3 CPU as I use my i5 on Power Saver mode all the time.

Should Lenovo decide to make the upcoming Helix a Win8-only machine, Fuji will get my money! I'll make sure to voraciously read all Q702 discussions from now on!

[sigh] What a beautiful day to be a Pterodactylus.... Flying unafraid.... Dribbling meteors everyday....

Last edited by e-schreiber; 03-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Default Re: Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

If you get it, share you experience. I think there hasn't been much commentary because a) it's really expensive, and b) is N Trig. But that doesn't mean it's not good.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    If you get it, share you experience. I think there hasn't been much commentary because a) it's really expensive, and b) is N Trig. But that doesn't mean it's not good.
    The fine people on the Duo 11 forum have praised the new N-trig tech. It's not a Wacom, but it seems to be much better than previous N-trig releases. I wonder which digitizer experience is better: the new N-trig on the Duo 11 or the Atmel on the Envy X2? I won't be buying the Q702 anytime soon.... It's costly. If I get it, I'll have to get it off eBay by Xmas......or later.

Money doesn't grow on trees....And Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Last edited by e-schreiber; 01-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Oh, I agree that the new N-Trig seems very nice- if you don't use Painter or Photoshop. Much improved. But it was definitely part of the discussion when it came out.

I like Fujitsu, and wish this cost less. Its quite expensive though, considering it's screen resolution and weight. I don't mind 1366, but a lot of others do. Its an odd duck. It combined the more common res of the Atom states with an iCore. It also is heavier as a laptop. I don't mind a 3.5 lb/ 1.25" thick laptop, but I want some benefits for it- better battery life, a modular bay in the base, etc. It offers lots of security measures though, which probably matters way more for the corporate crowd than for normal consumers. And I bet its build quality is way better too.

I'll admit I'm not particularly fond of win 8 either, as a pen user. WAY too many driver issues, pen pressure issues, etc. Win7 is working great, and I don't feel like Win 8 is fully baked yet. I'd like to see Office become truly touch capable and I would like to see better solutions for high res screens on tablets using desktops.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    It also is heavier as a laptop. I don't mind a 3.5 lb/ 1.25" thick laptop, but I want some benefits for it [...]
    The keyboard weight must come from the extra battery, extra I/O ports (even Ethernet and VGA!), build quality plus the fact the device is 11" size. The Helix will probably weigh about the same. The difference will be in the 0.2-0.4 lbs range, I guess. But I think Lenovo's market weight (world's #1 PC maker) will allow them to sell the Helix at a price more competitive than that of the Q702. If Fujitsu can sell the Q for $1,100, Lenovo can probably price the Helix at $1,000 or less. And Lenovo, unlike Fujitsu, tends to toss coupons on the interwebs quite frequently.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

I must be from even earlier than the Jurassic period because this one is still off my list because it is 16:9. I decided the T580 will be the last 16:9 device I will ever own. I do not watch any movies on my TabletPC's but I do work on my books. 16:9 is fine for landscape use like a laptop if you can stand the squished vertical space, but terrible in portrait mode like I am using my Q550 right now. If the Q702 was an I3/I5/I7 device with a 10.1" 16:10 screen with Win7 downgrade rights it would probably be in my hands right now!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    If the Q702 was an I3/I5/I7 device with a 10.1" 16:10 screen with Win7 downgrade rights it would probably be in my hands right now!
    To get all stars to align will take a miracle....

Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a Q702...should be here Tuesday. I will report my findings.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Long time tablet PC user

I've been using the Q702 for about 3 weeks now. I got an open box i5 unit with the keyboard dock from Newegg for $1144 so I figured it was worth a shot. I installed a 256GB SSD I had and put Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013 on it. For reference, I've had 4 Thinkpad convertibles (X41 through X220) as well as the Thinkpad Android slate. I've also used the Samsung Series 7 Slate, the Asus EP121, and the original HP Slate. I've been reasonably impressed with the Q702 so far. Build quality is really good. It feels solid and of quality materials. Performance is great, which it should be with the i5. In both configurations it is comfortable to use. The N-trig was a pleasant surprise. No vectoring issues as with the N-Trig on the Android tablet. I'm not an artist and have been using the stylus mostly in OneNote. I have Photoshop CS5 Extended installed if there are specific things people would like tested. The fingerprint reader has been a blessing for using a secure password but logging in quickly and easily. Not is all perfect though. The lack of a silo for the stylus is a major bummer. I'll have to pick up the holder that they sell fro the Q702. Fan noise can be irritating at times. IE uses a great deal more CPU time than Chrome and IE caused the fan to run pretty consistently whereas Chrome doesn't. I'm currently watching the Redskins vs. Seahawks on Media Center on the tablet screen while typing this in Chrome on a 24" monitor and the fan running moderately (the CPU is at 28%). I've tried playing the SpeedFan but haven't had any success yet getting the fan parameters changed. By far the biggest disappointment is the battery life. I get a bit shy of 4 hours with solid email and web surfing in tablet mode and somewhere between 6 and 7 hours docked. I'd much rather the slate weigh a little more to get an extra couple of hours of battery. I'm still tweaking settings so I'm hoping this can be improved. Let me know if you've got questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Tablets I've owned and used
    Palm Pilot <<< Motion Computing M1200 < Motion Computing M1300 < IBM Thinkpad X41T < Lenovo Thinkpad X60T < Lenovo Thinkpad X200T > HP Slate < Asus EP121 < Thinkpad X220T >>> Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (Android) << Samsung Series 7 Slate (borrowed) < Fujitsu Q702 with keyboard dock

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by kneebuster View Post
    I'm still tweaking settings so I'm hoping this can be improved. Let me know if you've got questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Could you run the WPrime and WEI benchmarks and report all the scores? You can post them here or at the Benchmark thread.

Thread Information