How does T5010 compare to Asus EP121

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default How does T5010 compare to Asus EP121

I have owned and used the Fujitsu T5010 for almost 3 years now. I primarily use it for Corel Painter and Photoshop.

I am looking at the Asus EP121 slate...simply because it is light.

Does any one know how it compares the the T5010? I am living in Hawaii and there is no place that carries either and I have not seen a review of the two.

Thanks for any leads on this. And I am guessing I should wait until Windows 8 is out and reviewed on new tablets. I wish I knew more about the workings of hardware and software. Just an ignorant illustrator here.

Super Moderator

Default Re: How does T5010 compare to Asus EP121

<<...Does any one know how it compares the the T5010?..>>

michael: There is no really good way to answer your question. In terms of raw capabilities, the two machines are sufficiently similar that the only meaningful comparison would be a side-by-side test.

My observation is that Core 2 Duo processors can still hold their own with current generation processors, particularly the i5. Add to that that your T5010 operates at a nominal 2.4 GHz, while the EP121 i5 operates at 1.33 GHz, and your Core 2 Duo may actually have an edge.

Both machines use native Intel graphics engines, both have WXGA displays (13.3" T5010 vs. 12.1" EP121), and both claim ~4 hours of running time.

The T5010 has an attached keyboard, of course, and a DVD drive, while the EP121 comes with a BlueTooth keyboard (DVD drive must be bought separately).

Head to head, I suspect that you would find that the EP is snappier at some things (in part because of its SSD) and the T5010 snappier at others. Overall, I don't think you would see any clear superiorities, except in size and portability. Of course, the EP has more current versions of the various services, like BlueTooth, but the older versions of these services still work fine.

If you cannot find a store or a friend who might have an EP121, your only other option is to buy one and try it. Just be sure to check the return policies of your potential seller.

Good luck.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thank you Steve S. That reply was so in depth it far exceeded any expectations I had when posting. Thank you very much. I lost my DVD drive at an airport...so I bought an external one.

I might buy one just to see. If it is even comparable to the Fujitsu then it will have been worth it. I like the 5010 very much. It has performed well over the years.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I bought an ep121 and returned it. I know there are some people here that have found it to be fine, but you should have a look at all it's issues before you take the plunge.
    I found the processor really crippling, (in heavy photoshop and painting) and for the price I think you shouldn't have to make that sacrifice. Plus, from what I've heard, the Samsung Series 7 Slate bests it in nearly every way (still has a few of its own troubles though) Have you looked into the Samsung? Its sleek, sexy and light too. The screen ratio isn't as nice as the ep121 though.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thank you for your reply and warning Stoneseeker. May I inquire as to some details? What size document were you working on in Photoshop? I mostly paint in Corel Painter, now version 12, and a little of Photoshop for enhancements, not usually painting I work with a document around 12 by 12 or maybe a little larger. I usually paint at 200 dpi and then change the resolution upon completion to 300.

Also, are you using larger size brushes? Just curious as to the limits...where Photoshop or Painter starts to lag for you.

Again I thank you and I appreciate the warning. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but would like a portable tool to take with me where I the 5010 might be a bit more cumbersome.

I have read what I could find on the Samsung 7 also and found the comparisons as you stated them. I also was told the 16:9 ration was not all that good.

I have watched a few Youtube vids of the EP121 being used and it looked like it did fairly well.

I would love to have a powerful tablet or slate that would allow me to work in Painter at a size and resolution that I could then print on canvas directly from...but I know I am looking at a few thousand dollars and that is outside my current range. I mostly sketch digitally for my ideas and then paint them traditionally in oils.

Thank you again. Both of you. I appreciate your having taken the time to share the good and the factual and the not-so-good.

Hope your Easter weekend was a pleasant one.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I just read on another post that the ep-121 apparently has a BIOS workaround that allows you to undo some of the heavy under-clocking that was making the thing so sluggish, so perhaps some of its issues I faced have been resolved.
    I found that even trying a dynamic brush on the bundled "art rage" would lag if I tried to do quick strokes, or even say, using a size 52 brush on a 150 dpi 4000 X 3000 document in photoshop with little to no extra layers would lag unless I drew realllly slow.
    But perhaps some of that has been dealt with as people have created workarounds?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thanks Stoneseeker. If you still have it, could you post a link to the BIOS workaround that you mentioned having read? Thanks.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The T5010 uses Full Voltage Core 2 Duo processors and is still quite capable as I'm sure you know; the EP121 uses a Ultra Low Voltage [as do all slate form factors I know of, this means both the CPU and GPU are considerably weaker than a Full Voltage or even Low Voltage variant] and unfortunately on the EP121 it comes with a severe under clocking 'feature' where at normal temperatures the CPU and GPU clock to about half of what they can be at and stays there; this problem is removed by the modded BIOS found here [BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread] basically it removes the extreme thermal limit (yet maintains the high temperature safety shutoff stuff so if the temps climb too high the hardware will not cook)... In use the EP121 should be able to handle what you would want it to without any real issues, but only trying it out for yourself will be the true judge of performance -be careful of where/ who you get a EP121 from if its a ebay seller or online outlet, be sure they have a decent ~15-30 day return period and that you can return it if it does not perform to your liking (if returning just don't tell them you put a modded BIOS on there as they would otherwise not notice it at all)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Thread Information