Q550 - Windows 8 - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Q550 - Windows 8

I got the buttons working, but only after a fresh install via USB drive. I still can't get the autorotation to work. It keeps saying the shock sensor driver isn't installed.

Some people got multitouch working on the developer preview including having the NTRIG icon in the system tray, but I couldn't get it to work. If you follow the workaround, you should be able to get the drivers for the NTRIG Bulk and all the other NTRIG devices (which are listed as Generic HID in the Device Manager). Check these forums for people having the same problems on the DP. I'll post the link when I'm on a regular keyboard

If you want the pen input panel, open the keyboard, click on the keyboard icon in the lower right, and click on the icon with a pen.

I will continue to try to fix the multitouch and autorotation. I hope you all have more luck than me.

Super Moderator

I've refrained from posting about Win8 because I haven't had much time to experiment with it, but I'm initially VERY disappointed with its performance on my Q. The Windows UI itself is running OK... mostly... but I'm finding all the apps to be sluggish and in some cases almost unresponsive. Of course, the Atom processor has to accept its share of the blame, too, but even so...

I hope to spend some time this weekend fine-tuning. Perhaps that will result in some improvements...?!??

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by GravityCasket View Post
    I got the buttons working, but only after a fresh install via USB drive. I still can't get the autorotation to work. It keeps saying the shock sensor driver isn't installed.

Some people got multitouch working on the developer preview including having the NTRIG icon in the system tray, but I couldn't get it to work. If you follow the workaround, you should be able to get the drivers for the NTRIG Bulk and all the other NTRIG devices (which are listed as Generic HID in the Device Manager). Check these forums for people having the same problems on the DP. I'll post the link when I'm on a regular keyboard

If you want the pen input panel, open the keyboard, click on the keyboard icon in the lower right, and click on the icon with a pen.

I will continue to try to fix the multitouch and autorotation. I hope you all have more luck than me.
    Success has been declared on the Dell Latitude ST for working mutitouch. Maybe try the Dell N-trig drivers on the Fujitsu Q550; it should be the same drivers and hardware.

The pen input panel version of the touch keyboard is not the same critter as the TIP in XP/Vista/Win7. After the continuous improvement throughout the Windows iterations since XP Tablet Edition, Microsoft took the teeth and claws off the tiger for Win 8.

My assessment so far is that Win 8 on ARM (WOA) would benefit from most of these changes except for application startup they really need to stop switching to the desktop first. For PC's however, Windows 8, from what I have seen so far, is NOT A GOOD IDEA. My thoughts as to why:
    1. Put a start button back on the desktop. It can still load the Metro screen, but why do I need to hunt for the way to open the Metro or have a hardware button that I need to take my hand completely off the screen to activate, then come back?
    2. Put the TIP back in play for real pen input. Just make it a skin for the tabtip.exe program that is still in there.
    3. Figure out a way to launch applications after touching the Metro tile and not switch back to the desktop first. That little switcheroo looks pathetically backwards.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    1. Put a start button back on the desktop. It can still load the Metro screen, but why do I need to hunt for the way to open the Metro or have a hardware button that I need to take my hand completely off the screen to activate, then come back?
    I agree whole-heartedly. I spend a lot of time using the desktop and having a mess of icons on the metro start screen is not a viable option. It would be nice if I could better organzie the metro Start screen or add folders...but right now I feel disjointed going between the two. Sure you can search for programs, but I'd rather just find it off a traditional Start menu.

If this OS were just the Metro interface, it would be awesome. The transition between the two is difficult. I really hope MS makes some improvements to this aspect, or I can imagine this will be their next ME/Vista.

(x) / fashion

1. Put a start button back on the desktop.
    Not wanting to sound retrograde/provincian/luddite.... I like Win7 better -- and I've never really considered it much better than WinXP (I think the TIP pop-up was more reliable back then). I spent the last 2 days exclusively using Win8 and, while I understand it's just a beta, I cannot withstand the loss of some Win7 features:

• Start menu
    • Customization of windows elements (scrollbar, titlebar, etc)
    • Automatic TIP pop-up
    • Some keys on TIP's keyboard (DEL, HOME, Fn, etc)
    • Flicks (time-saver for back, forward, copy, paste delete operations)
    • Built-in universal Mail Program (maybe I missed it?)

I'm back to Win7 and I don't know when I'll boot into Win8 again. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow to test this old trick to restore the Start Menu.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Super Moderator

<<...Not wanting to sound retrograde/provincian/luddite.... I like Win7 better...>>

...Interestingly, at the moment, I feel the same way. Win8 requires more actions (gestures / clicks) to get things done...

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    <<...Not wanting to sound retrograde/provincian/luddite.... I like Win7 better...>>

...Interestingly, at the moment, I feel the same way. Win8 requires more actions (gestures / clicks) to get things done...
    I am a heavy tablet PC User since i was in school and the T3010 came out (must be about 8 years ago). I used the windows 8 developers preview as my primary system for more than a month on my T4310. And I am sure that i won’t go back to windows 7! At the beginning it took a little time but the way windows 8 makes me use my computer is a great leap forward. Yes, the whole thing is really simple: I realized that I have two main modes using my computer. I am using the metro apps while I am consuming news, blogs, etc. or communicating and there I have a beautiful clean relaxing experience doing that. The second mode is when I have to get work done – that’s when I switch to the desktop-mode and I have all the productivity programs and documents pinned to the taskbar. What some call a schizophrenic system for me is the perfect fit for different modes. … but it was simple to get used to it for me, since I didn’t use the crowded startmenu of windows 7 much, because I pinned my programs, folders and documents to the taskbar. And the taskbar in the consumers preview is even improved, especially when you connect a secondary display and you activate the option that the symbol is only displayed on the monitor with the window. Ok, enough enthusiasm: one thing I really want, is the handwriting input Panel to be scalable (worked in dev previe). And I wish they would add an annotating tool to the “modern reader”

(Edit: Modern reader supports annotating with the pen into the document - the tool is not displayd as an option but you can just use the pen and write into the pdf file - NIce!!!).

All things considered, after several weeks using the dev preview and now the consumers preview, windows 8 is the perfect next step in computing for me. Puh, had to tell that somebody, back to desktop mode (work:-( )…
    Last edited by 123Fels; 03-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Success has been declared on the Dell Latitude ST for working mutitouch. Maybe try the Dell N-trig drivers on the Fujitsu Q550; it should be the same drivers and hardware.
    I just tried the Latitude ST drivers and it gives me a fatal error due to the software not finding any N-Trig hardware. My biggest concern is the lack of multitouch and no N-Trig in the system tray. This prevents me from turning on pen-only mode.

I noticed some users had success in the Develop Preview here.

Specifically:
    Quote Originally Posted by jarcraig View Post
    Ok, got multi-touch and the ntrig control panel working, here is what I had to do:
    -use drivers from Fujitsu site, not ntrig
    -clear your %temp% directory
    -run the driver package (no compatibility and no admin, it will fail)
    -before clicking finish on the fatal error dialog, copy the two new funny named directories from %temp% to the location of your choice, then go ahead and click finish to close setup
    -run setup again, this time with win 7 compatibility and admin, it should install and then reboot
    -check for the ntrig icon in your systray

Some may have working multi-touch from here, I did not

-open the device manager, and update the driver for the ntrig bulk device, browse for drivers and locate those two directories you copied from temp
    -then you need to do the for all the generic named hid devices, can't remember how many, probably 5 or 6

And viola! Hope the helps someone.

So far win 8 working great on q550, much more responsive and ie 10 is awesome.
    I was able to update all of the generic HID devices and even a few generic USB devices using that method so they all show up as N-Trig devices. The one problem I have is after updating the N-Trig Multitouch device drivers, the touch stops working altogether with Windows reporting an error on that device. This is sometimes fixed after a restart--once after returning from standby--so touch input returns, but still no multitouch or N-Trig in the system tray. I've tried the drivers from Fujitsu, N-Trig, and from the Dell Latitude ST.

Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience - back with the Dev Preview I was able to get most things working including multi-touch.

In the Consumer Preview so far I have the buttons and the auto-rotate working (for these I think the key is to get the .NET3.5 redist installed properly before trying, and to make sure you install the button utilities as well as the drivers).I also have GPS working and finally talking to the location platform, and the 3G/ WWAN stuff is good.

Current issues - still no multi-touch, although I have been through a few of the drivers sets. I think that th windows default driver is in some way blocking the install of the NTRIG stuff, as I can get the drivers installed but then they stop working and on next reboot I'm back to "BULK" in device manager. Other issues, the finger-print reader software doesn't work to logon with, which is a shame - I was hoping MS might have implemented a native fingerprint logon.

I'll continue to work on the multitouch but for me I won't be going back to W7. I think the apps are the weak link but I expect updates for them quite frequently via the Store.

Super Moderator

...Try running the N-trig software bundle with option -a. In theory, this should install only the driver (and not the other software components). The driver is supposed to work with Win8.

So far, I have not been able to make this work on my Q, but I'm having the more fundamental problem that the N-trig hardware "cannot be found." I'm going to try using the Rollback function to reset things and see if that makes a difference...

Thread Information