Q550 - Windows 8 - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Q550 - Windows 8

Hi

The TIP for pen input (Handwriting recognition) can be enabled via the ENG button on the onscreen keyboard.

It's a bit of a hassle to toggle between and the option doesn't appear automatically when you place pen in a input range in IE which is stupid (IMO)

BPO

Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, it seems that we only have three main problems left to be solved to make the Q550 a complete functional win8 device:

- no multitouch - win8 n-trig driver expected end of March'12

- issues with intel gma600 driver - no image in html5 video, more issues probably related to hardware acceleration (edit: enable softwarerendering instead gpu-rendering in advanced settings of internet explorer to make youtube/html5 videos work in metro IE)

- tablet buttons (Edit: fix: install/activate .net framework 3.5 first, then the driver and utility)

If any reader sees or tries drivers, please contribute - i hope we can do this!

by the way: battery life seems very good with win8CP.
    Last edited by 123Fels; 03-17-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional info, removed wrong info about "modern reader" not working

FujitsuFans.com

What I can do is report to Fujitsu which I already did with the first bugs you all found so far.

Keep on guys, with Win 8 the Q550 can be a really good tablet to work and have fun with.

What Fujitsu also should provide: the One Click solution which applies several performance tweaks to Windows. Since Win8 is already performing very well that can even be improved.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I haven't installed the tool, but does auto rotate work?

@mixblog
    did you already do the update to v3077 ? if not you said the camera works for you with the old driver, how about html5 video? this doesnt seem to work with the newest driver. Also did you notice flickering in the browser with the old driver?

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by benpaulowens View Post
    Hi

The TIP for pen input (Handwriting recognition) can be enabled via the ENG button on the onscreen keyboard.

It's a bit of a hassle to toggle between and the option doesn't appear automatically when you place pen in a input range in IE which is stupid (IMO)

BPO
    What exactly is the "ENG" button? Is that the one that allows you to change between the touch keyboard, thumb keyboard, and text input?
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Neokz View Post
    ohh i see then it must be aero...

most annoying thing for me is that deskupdate doesn't work on windows 8

do you experience the same ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MixBlog View Post
    Yep, DeskUpdate problem is very annoying.

The problem is simple: DeskUpdate tries to download software for Windows 8 which isn't recognized by the Fujitsu servers. I think it won't work before the final release of Win 8.
    You can download DeskUpdate, right click and go to settings. On compatibility tab choose Windows 7, now it works.

But i also don't have mulitouch.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    What exactly is the "ENG" button? Is that the one that allows you to change between the touch keyboard, thumb keyboard, and text input?
    ENG is displayed by the soft-keyboard/inputpanel. It changes the input-language to english (you can switch between languages directly in the soft-keyboard). i installed the german win8cp and i have handwriting-input for both german and english.
    Last edited by 123Fels; 03-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bheim View Post
    You can download DeskUpdate, right click and go to settings. On compatibility tab choose Windows 7, now it works.
    yeah, i know i already tried this, then you can execute it, but deskupdate still doesn't download any drivers... so bottom line it's not working...

as MixBlog already said, i guess it won't work till windows 8 final hits the market

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 123Fels View Post
    Ok, it seems that we only have three main problems left to be solved to make the Q550 a complete functional win8 device:

- fix multitouch: i think we need to find or get a better n-trig duosense driver. Maybe someone has seen beta drivers we can try?

- fix gpu: no html5 video, no pdfs with modern reader, ... i suspect, that we get issues when gpu rendering / hardware acceleration is involved - i think we need to find or get a better driver for the gma600. (i am not very optimistic on that, as intel's gma600 is a licensed powerVR based graphics and the track record for drivers for that one (thinking of the gma500 driver) afaik is not that good)

- fix tablet buttons

If any reader sees or tries drivers, please contribute - i hope we can do this!

by the way: battery life seems very good with win8CP.
    Glad it's not just me struggling with those things - the video seems very odd, just get a black display but can hear the audio.

I've tried all the various n-trig driver tricks but not had any luck getting them installed, multitouch seems like the biggest "missing" thing in my book, n-trig have confirmed that they are going to support windows 8 - they just need to look to us for some beta testing!

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchiggles View Post
    I've tried all the various n-trig driver tricks but not had any luck getting them installed, multitouch seems like the biggest "missing" thing in my book, n-trig have confirmed that they are going to support windows 8 - they just need to look to us for some beta testing!
    HP Slate 500s are having the same issues with N-Trig Multitouch. At least we'll finally get a driver update out of them eventually. Without the Multitouch driver, I'm rolling back to W7 until this is resolved.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

Thread Information