Upgrading hard drive in T4010

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Upgrading hard drive in T4010

I just purchased a new 80GB hard drive to replace the 40GB one that came with my T4010. However, upon my initial looking, it appears that removing the old hard drive and installing the new one isn't as simple as I had hoped (compared to a desktop hard drive installation, for example). Things look packed really tightly, and I don't want to accidentally break the ribbon that connects the hard drive to the computer.

Are there any more T4010 users (or past T4010 users) who have upgraded their hard drive and could shed some light on this? I know that T4010 users have upgraded their hard drives manually in the past.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Upgrading hard drive in T4010

It is the same case as the T4020 and I've taken one of those apart about 20 times.
    1. Remove the computer from the AC Adapter and battery.
    2. Open up the cover on the right hand side when the computer is upside down.
    3. Touch something metal like a desk or chair and try not to do this on carpet so you don't attract static electricity.
    4. There will be at least one screw holding the hard drive in place so remove any of those.
    5. Then simply slide the drive where ever the gap happens to be.
    6. Pull out the hard drive and remove the metal case around the hard drive. 7. Place that on the new hard drive
    8. Slide that drive into place
    9. Replace any screws
    10. Plug the battery and AC Adapters back in
    11. boot it up and enjoy your new found space

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, ahamilton55!

I took a look again, but I still can't figure out how to remove the hard drive.

I don't see any other screws to remove, except for a couple that look like they hold the case together rather than the hard drive.

This is what I see (appologies for the quality!)

What worries me is the ribbon. That ribbon connects to the IDE interface, and there is just long enough to make the trip. There is no slack. There is what looks like foam packed around the hard drive. Is there a rack that comes out or something, or is it just that thin silver cover that it comes in?

Thanks again!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Oh well just take a screw driver (a small one, plastic if you have one or even with your finger nails. Place one on each side and pull up.) and pull up the part of the cable that is connected to the computer. Do it a little on one side, a little on the other side and eventually it'll pop up. Don't be scared it'll come right off just do a little at a time. Once the hard drive is out take that cable off of the end of the hard drive but be careful because with this one you need to try to do it as evenly as possible. If you pull one side off too much then you can bend a pin and possibly break it off. Take the cover off the old hard drive and and put it on the new one, connect the IDE ribbon to the new hard drive and push the cable back into the computer.

Hey, thanks for the pointers!

I pulled out the old hard drive ok (slightly bent the last couple pins though.. but not fatally so).

The new hard drive is installed and running.

However, a new challenge has arisen. It seems although I imaged my old partitions onto the new drive, it just doesn't boot. "Operating system not found!"

I'm going to have to figure this out now... I use Grub as my boot loader, and have been having trouble reinstalling that.. (and times that I thought it was successful, it still reported "Operating system not found")

I also tried booting with a Windows XP CD and running the recovery console, where I ran fixboot and fixmbr. However, no dice either!

For now, I seem to be able to boot off of my old hard drive via a USB enclosure, which isn't ideal, but at least I can still work until I figure out what's wrong (Albeit, I get a BSOD in Windows). But man is the USB enclosure slow for running an operating system!

It may be out of the scope of my original question.. but if anyone has any ideas as to why I'm still getting "Operating system not found" after trying to reinstall Grub, and later trying to use fixboot and fixmbr, I would appreciate that.

My next step will be to try to reinstall Grub hopefully properly by booting into my my original Linux installation (as opposed to a Knoppix LiveCD, since that's not really what I used to setup my system in the first place..) That is, once and if Linux boots fully. It's currently in the process of starting up...

But anyway. Thanks so much for helping me install the hard drive. I really appreciate it! I would have been so uncertain doing this without any sense of direction..

Ah!! I'm so silly! I had disabled my primary hard drive in the BIOS while I was playing around, and I forgot to renable it! So it would always bypass that drive.

Windows seems to be having some issues (I can't log in.. it just logs me off right away, and the background from my login screen is gone).. but hopefully it will come out in the wash..

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well I'm glad that I was able to help you with your system. Message me anytime if you ever need anything else.

Just to follow up and conclude, I managed to fix the login issue that I was experiencing. In case anyone ever encounters the same problem, I found the "Can boot, but cannot log on" section of this page helpful:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxMove.htm

I used Linux and dd to copy my partitions. I followed this as a general guide:
    http://www.nilbus.com/linux/disk-copy.php

Note though, that I found the dd performance from LiveCDs to be painfully slow in my experience.. Instead, I used an actual Linux installation when I could.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you tell me how to get the machine to boot off USB? The DVD is bad and I tried booting off a Puppy Linux flash drive that works fine . I enabled USB support in the bios.
    Is there a bios upgrade? This one shipped in 06 and all the ones I have seen were older than that.
    Thasnks

Thread Information