T4210 w/ 02FE/02FC fan error - diagnosis?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default T4210 w/ 02FE/02FC fan error - diagnosis?

I have been the satisfied owner of a T4210 for almost 4 years now. However, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my tablet started overheating. Careful inspection revealed that the fan overdrive wasn't turning on even during high CPU load. I thought I still heard *some* humming, although at this point I am no longer sure.

Last week, I started getting some keyboard errors where certain keys, like "t" wouldn't register. Then, I got this dreaded error screen on boot:

ERROR
    02FE: Fan Error occurred during previous boot.
    ERROR
    02FC: Fan Error. System is turned off.

I was able to bypass the first couple of times by pressing F1, but now, the F1 key won't register and I'm completely stuck because if I don't press anything, the tablet shuts off on it's own! The only other option given to me by this boot-up error is to press F2 for setup, which allows me to change BIOS settings but doesn't allow me to advance through to load Windows.

What do you wager is the diagnosis? Simple fan error? Or something more serious? I need to figure out quickly if repair vs replacement is the better option. If you have any experience with this error, please please share your wisdom. Thanks!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: T4210 w/ 02FE/02FC fan error - diagnosis?

Remove the keyboard, turn on your tablet, check if the fan spins for a short moment, if not, turn it off again. Take out the fan, connect it to a benchtop power supply and try to power up the fan, if you fail, the then the fan is damaged.

If the fan works,then it will get difficult

Once you get the kb off, don't forget to check the obvious -has the fan come unplugged from the mother board? (I actually had this happen in an HP-tc4400.)
    Ciao,
    Lenny

[Sorry, my life got taken over by work for a few weeks. Thanks for your replies!]

Still interested in getting to the bottom of this mess.. Is there a tutorial on this forum or online that shows me how to take apart the keyboard and get down to the fan?

Also, what kind of power supply does the fan connect to? Since I don't have any other devices, would it be wise to preemptively buy a fan if I see that it is plugged in and not spinning on power up?

"I will do science to it"

Hi numbah,

For a guide, there's a sticky: Disassembly of the Fujitsu LifeBook T4200 Series Tablet PC

The fan itself uses a three-wire/three-pin connector on the motherboard, as seen on step 16 in the guide.
    "Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"
    Latin saying, "Remember to keep a calm mind in difficulties"
    Tablet PC General FAQ WTPCSIB? FAQ TPCR Forum Rules

Search! Your question may have been already answered!

Mobile Mini Roadmap:
    Intel: Sandy Bridge 2ndGen. 32nm / Huron River (Q1 2011); Ivy Bridge 22nm (2011)
    AMD: Platforms: Sabine/Fusion (2011); Brazos/Fusion (H1 2011)

Thanks, SimsHsia. I can see that it's your post, too. You did a great job! Plus, I even see that one of the posts, by RocketScientist, is *exactly* about replacing the fan. Next step - finding the replacement..

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, numbah, have you had any success with replacing the fan? my tablet is also having the same problem now, but I am afraid to open the case to fix it.

I really need some encouragement from you folks out there...

Yes! I replaced the fan w/ the help of SimsHsia's instructions. Also check out the message by RocketScientist in the link SimsHsia provided. It was a 30 min job. I made labeled paper trays to put screws and other unassembled parts. Just go slowly and carefully, and you'll be fine. The job is super satisfying, and you'll get a more effective and quieter fan!

Pen Pal - Newbie

@Numbah and others:

I'm in the same situation w/ the 02FE; I haven't gotten to the 02FC yet but I'd rather not! My machine is a T4215 that I bought in 2007. Unfortunately I've had problems with the fan before, as somewhere along the line the case cracked - most likely as a result of resting my hands on it while typing (see the crack in the attached photo, just above the Windows sticker. This is precisely above the PCMCIA slots, where the case is the weakest). The result is that if you rest your hands on the laptop while you type, very quickly you put physical pressure on the fan that results in it eventually rubbing on something else inside the casing, making awful noises, and not being very effective. I paid a service center a few hundred bucks to fix it previously, but I didn't make the connection w/ the broken case until it was too late. Anyways, I thought this time maybe I'll try to save some money and get the satisfaction of doing it myself.

A couple of questions:

1. Once you get to the point where you are getting the 02FE error, how long do you have until the machine just stops working? I.e. how urgently do I need to get this fixed? I'm using SpeedFan and CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temperature, and both are reading about 98 degrees Celsius.
    2. You said it took you 30 minutes, but RocketScientest said to allow 5 hours. Is that just a question of risk tolerance or were you guys doing different things?
    3. The discussion started with @Frank and @LROBBINS talking about taking off the keyboard; however @SimsHsia's instructions go way beyond the keyboard - is it necessary to disassemble everything to get to the fan?
    4. How do I figure out which model fan to replace it with? Can I figure this out before I take the case apart so that I can pre-order it?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jordanew; 12-24-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Corrected year of purchase

"I will do science to it"

Hi jordanew,

To replace the fan, yes, you'll need to go beyond taking out the keyboard if it's malfunctioning. But, if it's just to clean the fan, it's not necessary to go beyond taking out the keyboard.

Although this is for the T4220, the T4210, T4215 and T4220 use the same chassis and parts -- minus the motherboard, processor, and wireless card(s) as they are each on a different Intel platform -- but here's the part number: CA49008-0271 (SKU is: LFUS004).
    Last edited by SimsHsia; 12-21-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    "Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"
    Latin saying, "Remember to keep a calm mind in difficulties"
    Tablet PC General FAQ WTPCSIB? FAQ TPCR Forum Rules

Search! Your question may have been already answered!

Mobile Mini Roadmap:
    Intel: Sandy Bridge 2ndGen. 32nm / Huron River (Q1 2011); Ivy Bridge 22nm (2011)
    AMD: Platforms: Sabine/Fusion (2011); Brazos/Fusion (H1 2011)

Thread Information