T4220 v T2010 for sweet silence?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default T4220 v T2010 for sweet silence?

Hi Folks,

I suffer from a medical hearing issue- tinnitus triggered by fan (and even h/d) noise. My desktop box is through a wall, and I'm after a totally silent tablet (during reading/study) to compliment this. (I'd swap in a SSD)

Should I buy: T2010? From threads I've been able to find here, it seems this guy runs fanless during low CPU tasks but is very loud if you do tax it.

Or T4220 with Penryn? The Penryn version is listed on the Australian site and should be available here in 3-4 weeks according to vendors. Heat output with the Penryns is supposedly >50% less than the same Intel CPU clockspeed at 65nm, which is simply amazing.

If the current T4220s with their performance/battery controls cranked right down can almost run low CPU tasks without fan now ????? I'd choose this. QUESTION: Can they???

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by shoebox9; 03-16-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: T4220 v T2010 for sweet silence?

An ssd should help a good deal. The optical drive in the T4220 will spin up at times and the machine will be noisier as a result with the optical drive inserted, so the 2010 might be bettter as it does not have a builtin optical drive. You can put a blank in the T4220 I believe, which would give you the same result.

As for fan noise, I recall seeing a thread where some were able to reduce fan noise, I thought it was the Vista sp1 thread, but after checking again, it wasn't. Maybe, I was dreaming. I'll check my bookmarked threads and see if I can find it.

Someone with a T4220 will have to comment on how well they clock down and reduce fan noise. It seems to me, that unless you really want the most battery life possible and a somewhat lighter/smaller tablet, the T4220 is probably your best bet. This comes from someone who bought the T2010 :-) ... but battery life and small size were high priorities for me.
    Last edited by rnode; 03-16-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have NEVER heard my T2010 fan run. It's a very quiet machine IMO.

Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want absolutely no fan, T4220 is probably not for you. When I bought it about half a year ago, it was the only combination high res screen / high power cpu tablet there was. I think it might still be. The trade off is that it's not absolutely silent, and battery is average. In Power Saver mode it's very quiet, but if you put your head near the laptop, you can hear the low hiss of the fan. In High Performance, of course it's very noticeable. There's also a "whining/buzzing" sound that comes from the cpu in High Performance when you're running on battery, but apparently that's a T7700 issue common to all laptops with that cpu. If anything would trigger your tinnitus, I would think that would do it! It doesn't bother me much anymore (and while on battery I'm usually on Power Saver anyway), but initially that really annoyed me because it's a high pitched sound.

Maybe the Penryns will improve this.

"I will do science to it"

There's a setting in the T4200 series BIOS where you can switch the fan setting from "Normal" to "Quiet". I'm still experimenting, but I hardly hear the fan on this setting, but it was slightly noticeable on the normal mode setting -- at least it doesn't sound like my old laptop that sounds like a jet engine when idling!

I agree with mederis that with Power Saver the fan is quiet, even when on Balanced mode -- however these are my observations with the fan on "Silent" mode.

Yes, the T4200 series has a "weight saver" that rnode is describing where you can remove the optical drive and put that in, or a modular bay battery for extra battery life.
    Last edited by SimsHsia; 03-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    "Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"
    Latin saying, "Remember to keep a calm mind in difficulties"
    Tablet PC General FAQ WTPCSIB? FAQ TPCR Forum Rules

Search! Your question may have been already answered!

Mobile Mini Roadmap:
    Intel: Sandy Bridge 2ndGen. 32nm / Huron River (Q1 2011); Ivy Bridge 22nm (2011)
    AMD: Platforms: Sabine/Fusion (2011); Brazos/Fusion (H1 2011)

Scribbler - Standard Member

i have the t4220 on normal mode and also put in under full load during games^^ as far as i can tell, yes u can hear the fan but for me its very silent. if u would have something like that for full upgraded desktop pc, hell i would buy it as comparison, the harddisk is louder than the fan, but the fan isnt completely silent, its a fan ^^.

have to correct myself...100% cpu load for more than 10mins results in a remarkable noise, not rly loud but definitely too loud for u. so if u dont stress the system the t4220 is fine for u, otherwise better listen to the 2010 users.
    Last edited by phuoc; 03-16-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    T4220 SXGA plus docking station, Eizo L778, Logitech G9 & DiNovo Edge Keyboard, Thunder X-Ray 8, Creative Xfi Mod, Sennheiser HD280 & 1TB WD external HD = study purpose and GAMING

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think both machines are equivalent loud.
    The T4220 gets hot, the T2010 is only warm.

It's like you already said. If you don't stress it and it isn't connected to an AC-Adapter, then it is silent. But if it is connected to an AC-Adapter, then the fan kicks more often on even while not doing some CPU intensive stuff.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that's mainly a yes to total silence on the T4220 (my prefered option) IF I swtich the optical drive for a battery, and keep it on battery while reading- all with "silent mode" selected in BIOS, the CPU underclocked (if that's possible), and nothing too hungry running ???

(Sadly "very quiet" isn't enough to keep my ears from ringing at night- it needs to be dead silent. Traffic noise is fine, but not constant medium/high pitched sounds.)

Some say yes, some say no ? Is the T2010 my only really safe bet?
    (BTW, thanks a heap.)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mederis View Post
    If you want absolutely no fan, T4220 is probably not for you... it's not absolutely silent, and battery is average. In Power Saver mode it's very quiet, but if you put your head near the laptop, you can hear the low hiss of the fan.
    Hi Mederis,

Are you sure it's the fan noise you're hearing, and not the H/D? When it's cold it should run with fan off for a while (and only make the h/d whoosh noise). My question is when going all out, how long will the fan stay off?

This is a great forum BTW. You tablet guys are really interesting and I'm looking forward to joining your ranks.
    Last edited by shoebox9; 03-17-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Tablet PC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox9 View Post
    (Sadly "very quiet" isn't enough to keep my ears from ringing at night- it needs to be dead silent. Traffic noise is fine, but not constant medium/high pitched sounds.)

Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Headphones

Sweet silence indeed!
    Fujitsu T2010: 1.06 Ghz Centrino Duo ULV, 4GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Vista Business SP2, OneNote 2007, Samsung Writemaster S204N External DVD Drive

Thread Information