Noisy fan + won't shut down - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Re: Noisy fan + won't shut down

<<...The delay also happens when I unplug the sensor -from it's bracket. ...turn it on, it posts windows login comes up and fans turn on...It might be only actually 1-2 mins...>>

...OK, we're now back in the ball park. I'd still call Asus, but I'd try buying the replacement sensor. There have been enough stories about bad sensors that it's a reasonable possibility...

Poodle of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by CF77 View Post
    Since Ep121 started shipping around Feb last year..your unit may still be within warranty period. Just send it in to fix.
    Well from the box it was bought from an auction 9/14/11.
    I also don't have reciept from a regular store. I bought it double secondhand. I don't think I can send it at this point? I thought the warranty is 3 months right?

Poodle of Doom

Oh I got a better reading too! I really really appreciate you working with me on this! I can't tell you how much I appreciate taking your time to check this out. I used prime95, cpu-z, and realtemp.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Super Moderator

In absolute terms, the temperatures that you are showing aren't severe at all; they are well within the permissible operating range.

<<...I don't think I can send it at this point?..>>

...You can always send it in for service; it's just that you may not be able to get warranty coverage. But the thing is, it costs you nothing to just ask. And even if you can't get warranty coverage, the repair estimate may not be outrageous... but you have to ask...

Poodle of Doom

Hi Steve!
    Hope I'm not trying your patience! Thanks for continuing to indulge me so far.

Yes the temperatures are normal ( and low, because my HP tx2000 runs at burning hot when it gets going). I did another test with my cpu using full power and it hit about 58 maybe. So the fans are on for no reason at high! I did find out something, I'm having that multiplier problem!! I used those programs with stopthrottle program. I noticed my cpu was only running at 665, even when prime95 put the test at 100%! It didn't inch away except for .1 mhz! So I put on stopthrottle and BOOM the cpu began to actually do better and I had double the performance(it was having trouble with flash on webpages). So I'm having multiplier problem too! I'm wondering if I should attempt to flash to BIOS 601. I just don't want to brick my slate ( as they say). The performance is so much better. My computer actually restaurants in a reasonable amount of time.

So I have these items to do:
    1. Call Asus!
    2. Flash to BIOS 601
    3. Buy another thermal sensor ( Really leaning toward this to see what happens).

Wish me luck, I'll report back. For anyone else with the noisy fan, they might try the whole multiplier check, so they can see if they are having that issue. It didn't fix my fan issue, but the performance is great!
    I want to see if I take out the thermal sensor altogether if the slate will be fixed as far as multiplier. I wonder if that means it's thermal sensor. I wish I used a multimeter better.

Anyways! I might be a little while possibly unless I come across some more interesting tidbits or after I try an attempt. I'll keep looking in this thread in case anyone has any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    In absolute terms, the temperatures that you are showing aren't severe at all; they are well within the permissible operating range.

<<...I don't think I can send it at this point?..>>

...You can always send it in for service; it's just that you may not be able to get warranty coverage. But the thing is, it costs you nothing to just ask. And even if you can't get warranty coverage, the repair estimate may not be outrageous... but you have to ask...

Poodle of Doom

Hurray!! I did Bios first and the mod fixed my throttling problem! It's running tiptop now and I don't notice any hesitations in opening programs or anything. My slate IS back to not shutting off. Now the little light on the top stays on but the fans shut off. I have to hold the power button for a little while till it shuts off, so I can turn it on again. But CPU is properly throttling. Fans still on high and noisy though.

THe other thing I did was call Asus. Their computers are down so I have to wait for about 1.5 hours or so and call again. The representative did tell me the Warranty is 1yr. So I'm still well within the manufacture warranty unless the actual slate was bought a long time ago by the previous owner.. I truly hope it was more recently, like September. Unfortunately they don't carry parts. But I won't worry about that if I can send the unit in. So wish me luck <3
    Last edited by MindyAZ; 02-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Love Tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by MindyAZ View Post
    Hurray!! I did Bios first and the mod fixed my throttling problem! It's running tiptop now and I don't notice any hesitations in opening programs or anything. My slate IS back to not shutting off. Now the little light on the top stays on but the fans shut off. I have to hold the power button for a little while till it shuts off, so I can turn it on again. But CPU is properly throttling. Fans still on high and noisy though.

THe other thing I did was call Asus. Their computers are down so I have to wait for about 1.5 hours or so and call again. The representative did tell me the Warranty is 1yr. So I'm still well within the manufacture warranty unless the actual slate was bought a long time ago by the previous owner.. I truly hope it was more recently, like September. Unfortunately they don't carry parts. But I won't worry about that if I can send the unit in. So wish me luck <3
    you should post your bios mod result in the mod thread, so author and others can be informed.
    ASUS EP121-001A05M 64/4 Win7x64SP1 bios->modded704-Oct version

Poodle of Doom

Will do.
    I wish I could of also found out why the fan was on loud and what was staying on to keep my slate on. Anyways hopefully they fix everything alright. I can't wait to really get to play with it, since I only had it for so many days

Sent out to Grapevine, tx facility yesterday 2/28/12

Poodle of Doom

My delivery confirmation says it got there 3/1/12. No RMA update yet though.

Poodle of Doom

Did not show recieved till 3/6/12. Now it's in repair status.

Thread Information