EP121 versus Samsung Series 7. - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Re: EP121 versus Samsung Series 7.

<<...have any of you purchased an extended warranty...>>

...Just a thought on warranties. The conventional wisdom (per Consumer Reports) is that warranties are a waste of your money. Of course, that depends in part on how careful you feel you will be with your new slate.

I purchased extended warranties on two of my tablets, and never had a need for warranty coverage on either one of them. (I tend to be careful with my toys, however).

So far, my (Microsoft store purchased) EP121 has proven to be perfectly reliable. It's about 3/4 of a year old.

I'm not going to recommend anything one way or the other, but that is my experience to date.

3_D
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    To toss this in there, while 'officially' the reason Win 8 (and specifically Metro's Side By Side Snap) is compatible with the S7s and not the EP121 is because the Samsung's 16:9 ratio at 1366x768, while the EP121 is 16:10 at 1280x800... but already months ago there was a work-around for this on 16:10 devices so while not 'official'/ out of the box you could use use Win 8 fully on your 16:10 device instead of having to use a dumb 16:9 ratio that is too limited (IMO 16:10 is already too limited, but what are ya gonna do)
    Agent 9. What is this work-around?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

I typically have the same mindset about extended warranties. I'm also pretty careful with my stuff. But I know things happen especially when I'm out and about going through airports and stuff. The only thing I'm worried about is the one absent minded event where I accidentally spill something on it.

The only extended warranty I purchased on purpose for any of my computer gear was for my Dell Inspiron E1505. Got it through Dell after the sales people kept bugging me about it. Managed to talk them down and got a total of 5 years of full coverage (including accidental damage) for about $279. It has proven to be a wise investment in my case. Dell has come out three times to fix issues with the laptop over the years I've owned it up till the warranty expired last month. First repair was for the broken plastic frame for the LCD which caused the screen to flop around. Second repair was for a catastrophic failure of the video card/main board. Dell swapped out the ATI video card and main board along with the wireless card because I was getting sporatic connection issues. Third time was last month where the laptop would periodically not power up or would shut down when I had it in sleep mode. They came out and replaced the mainboard and video card again along with the DVD burner and LCD panel because I was getting drink coasters with the burner and the LCD panel was looking dim.

Well, I have 30 days to decide if I want to purchase the extended warranty. At the minimum, I purchased the EP121 with my AMEX card which gives me another year of coverage and 90 days of accidental damage.

Still looking through the threads in the Samsung forum and will decide tonight if I'm going to keep the EP121.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I ran the win8 dev preview for about a month and it worked very well on the 121. I only reinstalled win7 because I needed to use it every day at work, but I liked it, and it ran Metro (and the classic) well. It really is enhanced for touch, and once the beta comes out, if you try it, you will like it. And I think we will all love it once it is a fully developed OS. It is made for our tablet. It will have a bit of a learning curve, but it is going to be so cool.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have both tablets, and even with the screen separation issue, the Series 7 is far superior. Battery life is more then doubled the ep121s and the performance is so much better. And as far as reflective, the Samsung is no worse then the Asus, but the Samsung is much brighter and has far better color quality. the Ep121 has this issue, (at least mine does) where if you put it on a table, unless your looking literally over it, the bottom part of the screen is very dim. I found myself having to use the reverse landscape orientation to get Better brightness. The samsung gives me no issues whatsoever in that regard.

I'm shipping mine back to Microsoft to exchange it because of the screen issue, but when they ship me my new one, if the new one has the separation issue as well......I'm ready to live with it. Honestly, the thought of going back to using the ep121 for the next 2 or so weeks is going to be torture, since the Samsung has spoiled me rotten.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Pen Pal - Newbie

One reason to get The Asus EP121 is the fact that you can easily access the back and replace the ssd, RAM, Ect. The S7S' back cover doesn't easily come off to customize

Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely go with Samsung as it has a camera on the back... just kidding, it's the battery life! Ep121 is a powerful tablet, but the battery is breaking the party!

Scribbler - Standard Member

I am also in the same boat, I'm stuck between the Asus and the Samsung.

Asus Con for me - Battery Life
    I want to buy it mainly for University, however I have been hearing that the Asus only has a maximum of 4hrs which is quite bad for me since our lecture halls do not have power outlets every where and there are couple of lectures which are back to back, with only 10-15mins break in between. which is 4hrs and since I study CS I will probably be using Eclipse and web browsing during my lectures to download the notes etc.

Samsung - Quality Control

I took a peek at the Samsung forums and it looks like nearly everyone is having a specific issue with the screen, even after replacing the product multiple times.

Now I'm thinking of getting a Thinkpad X220 Tablet?

But apparently that has some calibration issues.

Super Moderator

<<...Battery Life...>>

Gamerz: I agree that if you're talking 4+ hour stretches, then the EP121's battery capacity is going to be an issue for you. Some EP owners have bought the Energizer / XPal XP18000 external battery (with AB23 adapter tip) to achieve greatly extended operationg times with minimum additional bulk.

<<...Quality Control...>>

...Samsung has applied fixes to the S7S and recent buyers purchasing units with serial numbers that contain "CBB" (and also "CBC") seem to be satisfied.

Depending upon exactly what you want, I don't think you should feel like you need to wait any longer...

Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve, what you say could be a solution but after checking the price of the Energizer I don't think I can take that route because of budget, unless I buy a cheaper alternative.

About the Samsung that sounds like good news, I am still going to wait till mid January till I get my 2nd instalment of loans. By that time if no new issues creep up I would most likely be buying the Samsung.

again Thanks for the info.

Thread Information