Fan won't shut off?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Fan won't shut off?

Hi eveyone, just got my ep121 from the microsoft store at the mall of america and it seems good with exception to the fan... the fan runs at full throttle from start up to shutdown, plugged in or unplugged, on any of the handfull of power management settings, and/or regardless of coming out of sleep or from a cold start. bottom line is that it is always on at high speed.

1) it is really the only thing that is giving me reason to return it as it is distracting in a conference room. it sounds like the air vents on a jet plane.

2) surely, this must affect the battery life?

Is mine a bad one or is this a design issue? thanks for your help.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Fan won't shut off?

Read the forum first...

DBA by trade.

I also bought from Microsoft Store and noticed that the fan was always on. I took it back and the second one is the same. Loud fan.

Love Tablet.

You got a unit with defective temp sensor..
    ASUS EP121-001A05M 64/4 Win7x64SP1 bios->modded704-Oct version

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks CF77 and cmergel... @kurt... I did read the forums first and there are a variety of answers depending on what someone did in response to the loud fan / non-stop fan issue.

I guess I was just trying to double confirm that some of you out there are blessed with a unit that operates with the fan speed at low idle or maybe even off during periods of idle use or on power saver mode or something... I would like to use this slate for work, but sitting in a conference room right now as it is might not work. Also, the fan seems to drown out the mic when a person is speaking... so the audio portion in One Note does not work well.

I guess I could go to the microsoft store and try to see if they will just keep opeing up boxes until we find one without the fan noise issue? Does anyone else have any suggestions other than this? I bought the service plan for 3 years...

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

yea, don't bother sending the unit in as it will take a while and they may not fix the issue; just take it to the MS store to get a new one and open up, and check a new unit before walking out of there
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Agent, I think I will do that... I will need to find a bathroom or something because it is a loud store to begin with...

Also, I guess I need to wipe all my personal info on the slate I am taking in right? In other words, odds are slim that they will just swap the SSD's right?

DBA by trade.

re: quiet room/noise
    That is the problem that I had. In the store with all the background noise it was actually difficult for the sales rep to believe me. Sad thing is the display model on the floor was just as loud so they said it was normal. After arguing for sometime and finally a manager they exchanged it, but said that I would have to go through mfg if I wasn't happy with the fan. I won't be buying again from MS Store.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks cmergel... just curious with the PNW tag if you are over towards Bellevue or something? I am at Mall of America in MN so, I was wondering if it was the same Microsoft store or not?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

First, yes, wipe the drive. Second, as CF77 said, most likely faulty sensor, since many of us have had ours for many months and have whisper quiet fans. So make sure your happy before you leave the store. Good advice Agent 9.

Thread Information