Help, battery won`t charge!! :( What to do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Esp
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Help, battery won`t charge!! :( What to do?

Hello!

It seems like the battery in my slate won`t charge anymore! Last time I used it, some days ago, I had it on until it turned off because of low battery. Everything was normal.

Now, this evening when I turned it on again, the battery in Windows saids "0% avaible (plugged in, charging)". Problem is, I have charged it for 15 minutes and it`s still at 0%. I tried to turn it off for some minutes and let it charge, but it won`t turn on without the poweradaptor plugged in.

Some days ago, same thing happened, it stayed at 0% when it charged, but it increased to 7% or something when I removed the charger, like a "normal" bug in Windows. Now it`s just dead when I remove the charger.

Is the battery dead? Nothing to do beside from sending it back to Amazon? Im living in Norway, (Europe) is it possible to send it back to Amazon US from here? I have to pay toll again? (Both for sending it back, AND for taking it into the country again?)

I really don`t know what to do right now, would appreciate help so much!!

Esp

Default Re: Help, battery won`t charge!! :( What to do?

Forgot to say that the LED on the left off the slate is orange, and Windows dosen`t say that the battery needs to be replaced or that it is courrupt or something. When my other computers have had a bad battery, Windows have usually told it to me.

Btw, my slate is just two months old, (I would say young..) not old enough to die!

Sorry for my bad english, im norwegian. Hope you understand
    Last edited by Esp; 08-11-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

How long did you leave it uncharged for?

It sounds like you either: [truly] killed the battery, or you tripped the charge/ discharge protect circuit that is built into the EP121. Before doing anything else you should try a battery re-set: shut it down, take the slate apart (there are quick tutorials around showing how to do it, it is easy, and it is unlikely you would damage anything), then you remove the wire connecting the main battery to the motherboard, and let it sit for a few minutes, then plug the battery pack back in and put it back together, then see if it will charge or not

If not then you will have to either return it, get a replacement, or get a RMA number form ASUS and either get it repaired or replaced by ASUS directly (you may even be able to get them to send you the new unit first, then you send back the defective one; tell them you need the machine and you need to confirm that the new one is working before sending back the defective one)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Love Tablet.

ASUS EP121-001A05M 64/4 Win7x64SP1 bios->modded704-Oct version

Esp

It works!!!

Before I went to bed yesterday, I put it in to charge som hours in the night, just to see if that could fix the problems before I tried the things mentioned abow here. And guess what - it has now charged to 70%!! So, I think the problem was that it was so completly discharged that it needed to charge for hours just to get over 0%.

Im so happy it`s working now! Just hope I haven`t damaged the battery in any way, leaving it completly discharged for six days?

Thank you so much for your quick response guys, I really appreciate it!

Super Moderator

<<...leaving it completly discharged for six days?..>>

...That was really flirting with disaster. You were lucky this time, but if you keep doing this your luck probably won't last too much longer...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

"<<...leaving it completly discharged for six days?..>>

...That was really flirting with disaster."

If I go for vacations and leave asus for 2 months without charging that will destroy the battery?

It's a nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_hectic View Post
    "<<...leaving it completly discharged for six days?..>>

...That was really flirting with disaster."

If I go for vacations and leave asus for 2 months without charging that will destroy the battery?

It's a nonsense!
    No thats not what he is saying you can leave it alone for a long time but keep a charge in it before you turn it OFF completely, second my inderstanding is if you do shelve it for a while its best to leave it about 80-90% charged, I could be wrong sometimes just ask my wife.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there

Did you get any resolution to this, mine is doing exactly the same thing!

Thanks

Stram

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thread Information