swype for windows

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    4

    Default swype for windows

    It is so tedious to type using my fingers using the windows tip. Does anyone know of a Swype type solution for windows? I'd glady pay extra for this functionality.

    What is wrong with Microsoft? This should have been integrated a long time ago. Do they really want the Tablet windows platgorm to die? Apple is so lucky to have a competitor like Microsoft that refuses to connect the dots in making their software useable and user friendly.

  2. #2
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Last time I checked Apple products don't have that feature either...

  3. #3
    Tablet PC Since 2003
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Handwriting recognition is even better! Give it a try and be sure to spend 15 minutes running through personalition...

    That said, I heard that hugo from Tegatech Australia was doing something with swpe on the TEGA 2. Might want to google it...
    Brett Gilbertson
    Microsoft MVP Tablet and Touch

    Current: Fujitsu Q704, Motion F5t, ASUS VivoTab Note 8, Lenovo Miix 2, Samsung Galaxy Note, iPad mini - Motion R12 pending...
    Previous: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, Samsung ATIV Tab 7, S7S, Q1U, Motion F5v Touch, CL910, CL900, J3500 Touch, Fujitsu Q702, T902, T901, Q550, T900, T4310, TH550, HP 2730p, TC4400, TC1100, TC1000, Motion LE1700, J3400, C5 (Gen II), F5 (Gen I), Viliv S5, x70, iPad

  4. #4
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Funny thing is apple lags behind in that area as well - Most android phones and tablets comes with preinstalled swype. Galaxy tab had one for months.

    That said, I don't think swype is very helpful in large screen and not that faster than two-thumb typing with good auto correction.

    Windows is a open platform unlike IOS, and if windows tablet market matures there will be tons of input option available.

  5. #5
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyKingArthur View Post
    Last time I checked Apple products don't have that feature either...
    If I wanted an Apple product I would have bought one I just want my Windows Tablet PC to be useful and pecking at the keyboard is just getting too tiresome.

    It is faster for me to enter data on my Android phone than it is to peck away on my Tablet PC. With this being the case, something is wrong with this picture. My Android phone is smart enough to capitalize the first letter of sentences and chane Im to I'm and these are the small things that make a Tablet Pc powerful when you are on the go and need to get stuff done quickly.

    I would gladly pay $50+ for a Swype application for my Tablet PC as it will make it much easier for me to enter data on my tablet with my finger.
    Last edited by ThatsJustHowISeeIt; 04-14-2011 at 03:02 AM.

  6. #6
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Quote Originally Posted by oztabletpc View Post
    Handwriting recognition is even better! Give it a try and be sure to spend 15 minutes running through personalition...

    That said, I heard that hugo from Tegatech Australia was doing something with swpe on the TEGA 2. Might want to google it...
    Yes but this requires that I take out the stylus. This is what pretty much killed the Windows Pocket PC phone concept as it required a stylus and it resulted MS from having less than 5% marketshare. I'd love for Microsoft to learn something from that experience.

    I want to use the stylus for other things but basic data entry should not require it. Also I keep having this issue with the handwriting recognition where sometimes I would write a word and the whole word just disappears. Any ideas why this keeps happening?

    I should not have to pull out a stylus to use a Tablet PC... Seriously, if Swype like functionality existed I would be a lot more productive with my Tablet PC.

  7. #7
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Unfortunately from what I have read over recent times is that the company Swype has a very specific business model that only sells their program to hardware manufacturers. Which means we will never be able to buy Swype as a standalone installable software. I bought one of the first phones to ever have Swype which is the Samsung Omnia 2 and I still love and use it every day, and as much as I wish as well that they would implement Swype into windows PC's I know that has not happened thus far.

    I even remember over at xda-developers when a few guys figured out how to port Swype to non-Swype phones but were very quickly and very effectively issued a cease-and-desist order by Swype. Ever since then even porting Swype to other phones became impossible. I think the only thing we can do now (aside from finding a suitable third-party software replacement) is just hope and pray that Microsoft and Swype strike a deal to release it with their Tablet software in the future.

    In the mean time, if anyone has any good suggestions as far as good on-screen keyboards go, please feel free to post some!

  8. #8
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    680
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Quote Originally Posted by ninog View Post
    Unfortunately from what I have read over recent times is that the company Swype has a very specific business model that only sells their program to hardware manufacturers. Which means we will never be able to buy Swype as a standalone installable software. I bought one of the first phones to ever have Swype which is the Samsung Omnia 2 and I still love and use it every day, and as much as I wish as well that they would implement Swype into windows PC's I know that has not happened thus far.

    I even remember over at xda-developers when a few guys figured out how to port Swype to non-Swype phones but were very quickly and very effectively issued a cease-and-desist order by Swype. Ever since then even porting Swype to other phones became impossible. I think the only thing we can do now (aside from finding a suitable third-party software replacement) is just hope and pray that Microsoft and Swype strike a deal to release it with their Tablet software in the future.

    In the mean time, if anyone has any good suggestions as far as good on-screen keyboards go, please feel free to post some!
    Theres a thread on thus on the Hp500 slate forum. Search
    on-screen keyboard alternatives. SlideIT looks promising but the windows version has not been released yet.

  9. #9
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsJustHowISeeIt View Post
    It is so tedious to type using my fingers using the windows tip. Does anyone know of a Swype type solution for windows? I'd glady pay extra for this functionality.

    What is wrong with Microsoft? This should have been integrated a long time ago. Do they really want the Tablet windows platgorm to die? Apple is so lucky to have a competitor like Microsoft that refuses to connect the dots in making their software useable and user friendly.
    I'm having the same issue with the hp slate. It's a great device for touch browsing, but text input is horrendous with the default keyboard.

    On a recommendation by another forum user here, I'm trying out Hot Virtual Keyboard. And it's a fantastic software that replaces the default keyboard!








    Unlike smartphones, the virtual keyboard for tabletpcs doesn't have a one-size-fits-all solution, because of the myriad of screen sizes. But definitely, purely copying the layout of the physical keyboard onto the tablet, like what Microsoft did, is not the way to go as well. They did create a pretty unique solution for their umpc keyboard, with the thumbs as the main input devices. But although it's curved to allow for the limited reach of the digits, it takes some effort to remember the different locations of the keys.

    Anyway, what HVK has done, is to have a software with customizable templates for the keyboards, and they recently came out with the above template which mimics the smartphone keyboards. And after trying it, I must say it's a much better alternative to the windows' default soln.

    At the same time, because of the screen size, when the user is holding the tablet with 2 hands, the thumbs will not be able to reach the middle of the screen. HVK has a template for a split keyboard, but I find it's too wide for my thumbs, so I'm in the midst of customizing the above template to suit my usage.





    In summary, the OS is let down by the poor virtual keyboard implementation, but if you are willing to pay another $30 for HVK, it does makes the windows tablet experience a lot better. Or if you need further convincing, just install the evaluation version, and test the hell out of it before plonking down the cash.

    The journey towards touch typing continues...
    Last edited by whazzup; 04-15-2011 at 12:58 AM.

  10. #10
    IT Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    BrisVegas, Oz
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: swype for windows

    Great program, but I can't get it to pop open when I use the keyboard button at the top of the EP121, and the hovering keyboard icon is annoying too.

    I paid $14.95 for it through the CNET website, but sadly I can't really use it's great features unless I have clear access to the launch icon on the desktop!

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1