EP121 battery life numbers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default EP121 battery life numbers

I just did my first battery life test, basicallly normal desktop use, web surfing, Flash video, inking a bit, Office. Got exactly 3.5 hours till sutdown at 3% on Balanced mode at 30% screen brightness. I'll update this post over weekend and fill in the blanks.

Battery Life:*

Desktop use WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 3.5 hours ----> This was at 40% brightness
    720P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 2 hours 33 minutes
    1080P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON
    720P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF-----------------------------------------> 2 hours 49 minutes

1080P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF

*Balanced Mode at 30% stutdown set at 3%, clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate:
    Last edited by heatlesssun; 02-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    • Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    • HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    • HP Slate 500
    • Toshiba Libretto W100
    • ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    • Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: EP121 battery life numbers

Wow, thanks a lot for those numers. Hope they will help me decide wether to but the ep 121 or not

Although I would add idle time with BT and WiFi off, maximum battery settings, low screen brightness and almost no applications running.
    That would equal some kind of "reading and annotating pdf´s mode", which I intend to use the asus for.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by heatlesssun View Post
    I just did my first battery life test, basicallly normal desktop use, web surfing, Flash video, inking a bit, Office. Got exactly 3.5 hours till sutdown at 3% on Balanced mode at 40% screen brightness. I'll update this post over weekend and fill in the blanks.

Desktop use WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 3.5 hours
    720P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON
    720P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF

*Balanced Mode at 40% stutdown set at 3%, clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate:
    To add to the list of requests of things for you to test...

I would be interested to know the performance of OneNote (if you have it) on Power Saving mode. Not so much for how what battery life is, but how does the system respond.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

3.5hrs for basic desktop use at 40% brightness?

Ouch.

I'm interested in seeing how much worse 720P and 1080P playback is.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

That's awfully disappointing. I was hoping for at least 5 hrs in those circumstances. Can you try it with bluetooth off?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Actually that test was pretty decent I thought. I had 360P Flash running for about 2 hours and a BT mouse and keyboard attached and inking with the TIP which does eat a bit of CPU. 40% brightness on this device is actually very bright as well, for most environments for most people that's going to be all they need. 100% brightness on this thing actually is blinding in most indoor lighting to me when looking straight on at the screen. I will probably do the video tests at 30% and try the desktop at that level as well.

Battery life is the weak spot of this device but at the same time at the weight AND performance level this is pretty good. This a device could probably be down clocked a bit, that's sometimes I think would be worth looking into as I think I has enough performance to make that feasible. Plus a low battery profile could be setup, disabling Aero, transparency, etc.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I don't mind limited battery life IF the battery is swappable with a spare one. But it's too bad Asus decided to copy Apple and limit the usefulness of the EP121 purely for the sake of minor aesthetics.

IT Guru

I just did my first battery life test, basicallly normal desktop use, web surfing, Flash video, inking a bit, Office. Got exactly 3.5 hours till sutdown at 3% on Balanced mode at 40% screen brightness. I'll update this post over weekend and fill in the blanks.

Desktop use WiFi and BT ON -----------------------------------------> 3.5 hours
    720P continuous playback over WiFi and BT ON
    720P continuous playback locally WiFi and BT OFF

*Balanced Mode at 40% stutdown set at 3%, clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate:
    Hey Heatless,

Just a thought - what about testing it with .MP4 video? Some people convert their movies to .MP4 so they can take them with them to watch at work during lunch etc.

I would love to try one with a digital copy of a movie that we sometimes get bundled with Blu-ray movies over here, but we use PAL which is a higher quality format.

(NOT poking fun - I know you use NTSC there, but from what I have seen from my trip over there last year, PAL does seem to be visually better quality - but that's just me...)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Actually that test was pretty decent I thought. I had 360P Flash running for about 2 hours and a BT mouse and keyboard attached and inking with the TIP which does eat a bit of CPU. 40% brightness on this device is actually very bright as well, for most environments for most people that's going to be all they need. 100% brightness on this thing actually is blinding in most indoor lighting to me when looking straight on at the screen. I will probably do the video tests at 30% and try the desktop at that level as well.

Battery life is the weak spot of this device but at the same time at the weight AND performance level this is pretty good. This a device could probably be down clocked a bit, that's sometimes I think would be worth looking into as I think I has enough performance to make that feasible. Plus a low battery profile could be setup, disabling Aero, transparency, etc.
    Thanks for the explanation. Could you do a test with ebook reading, WF and BT off and one with basic surfing with BT off please?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Heat, on my TM2 and mobile phones, I've noticed that the batteries improve slightly after a number of full charge-and-drain cycles.

Maybe those number will improve with a bit more use?

Thread Information