Possible to replace battery?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Possible to replace battery?

As a heavy user of a notebook years ago (it had about 3hr life per charge) I burned through replacement batteries at a rate of one per year.

Since the EP-121 has no external battery, it begs the question: How do you replace the internal battery if the charge no longer holds to give you the desired operating time? Anyone who ever owned a non-Apple device with only an internal battery knows of services that replace batteries?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Possible to replace battery?

Asus has replacement batteries available from their store at estore.asus.com. I imagine that the EP121 battery will show up there. Either that, or a third party will make a battery if Asus doesn't fill the void. As far as how you physically do it, you need to take apart the machine to get to the battery. How difficult that is, I am not sure. If you don't want to do it yourself, there are computer repair shops out there that will likely do it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The battery isn't user serviceable, you have to send it in for a battery replacement under normal circumstances for all devices that are sealed like this. No doubt someone will come up with a home brew solution. Just remember that taking off the back voids the warranty.
    Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    HP Slate 500
    Toshiba Libretto W100
    ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Pen Pal - Newbie

Any word on the cost of a battery replacement yet? I've sent a request to asus with no reply so far. Pretty costly to get some other asus batteries - ie > 100 pounds UK so given I'd expect to change in within the year as per first post need to factor the cost in.

Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be nice to see a teardown--hope someone like ifixit gets a hold of one of these. I'm also interested in seeing whether the RAM and SSD are upgradable.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Asus is going the Apple route. Don't worry about replacing the battery, you'll just have to buy a whole new computer.

Thread Information