Best cases for Venue 8? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best cases for Venue 8?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Best cases for Venue 8?

I really enjoy this case: Amazon.com: Poetic SlimBook Case for Dell Venue 8 Pro 32 GB 64 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1) Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers & Accessories

It feels pretty durable and doesn't slip easily in my opinion. It's got pockets for SD cards, but it was very tight and difficult to put it in there.
    It doesn't have a keyboard, but I wouldn't really need one since the windows 8 keyboard works pretty well for now.

Does anyone have an opinion on this: Amazon.com: Faux Leather Carrying Bag Sleeve Case For Dell Venue 8 Pro 8-inch Tablet (BELL8-Pro81) (BELL8-1818BLK): Computers & Accessories

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    In practice, the dell keyboard case is going to be cumbersome if you want to use it outside a desk environment (on the bus, train). You have to keep storing the keyboard away somewhere while you hold the tablet in your hand.
    I hear you but i assume its the exact same size as the the tablet since its a cover and keyboard. i will put it in my pocket or my bag but since its a cover when i am done in tablet mode i will use it as a cover and then by default always have a real keyboard with me.

thats going to be great.

i dont need a cover perse. i would never buy a cover for cover sake. i buy sqauretrade to protect it.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have a view on the Poetic vs the Dell case? I would like the one that adds the least bulk to the device. I really wish Poetic would release a case similar to the one that I have for my Nexus 7 FHD.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah - people definitely have different ideas about cases and keyboards. For me, the case is about protecting the machine while using it in environments where I could trash it. The whole point of a tablet is no keyboard, but I still like the 2-in-1 detachable keyboard scheme with the V11P and Transformer T100 for when I get back to a desk or airplane. And, I want it docked to big screen and peripherals when I get back to my own desk. I ordered the Targus case, the notebook style keyboard, and the drop in docking station with my V11. Despite the bulk, I really like the look of the Targus case.

I've been carrying some kind of Fujitsu tablet in a neck strap type bump case for years when working at a building. Nice for having your hands free to operate things while inspecting them. And, I always have a Surefire flashlight on a lanyard around my neck, too.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by winimini123 View Post
    I hear you but i assume its the exact same size as the the tablet since its a cover and keyboard. i will put it in my pocket or my bag but since its a cover when i am done in tablet mode i will use it as a cover and then by default always have a real keyboard with me.
    **If** you can charge the KB from the tablet while in USE (using a microusb to microusb cable) , this would be perfect. Sine the KB is rarely used, the chances of a dead battery is high

Pen Pal - Newbie

Most of these case recommendations are for the Pro (Windows) version of the Venue 8. But the fact that IVSO offers an Android specific case, and the Targus one is only listed as being compatible with the Windows 8 Pro, tells me there must be some difference between the 2 products. I have the Android flavor so I need a case that will work for that model.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not big on cases, I like using my venue naked . however I do like to keep it protected while transporting so I like something more like this:
    Pelican HardBack Carrying Case for 7" Tablet PC, Digital Text Reader - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabart122 View Post
    I really enjoy this case: Amazon.com: Poetic SlimBook Case for Dell Venue 8 Pro 32 GB 64 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1) Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers & Accessories

It feels pretty durable and doesn't slip easily in my opinion. It's got pockets for SD cards, but it was very tight and difficult to put it in there.
    It doesn't have a keyboard, but I wouldn't really need one since the windows 8 keyboard works pretty well for now.

Does anyone have an opinion on this: Amazon.com: Faux Leather Carrying Bag Sleeve Case For Dell Venue 8 Pro 8-inch Tablet (BELL8-Pro81) (BELL8-1818BLK): Computers & Accessories
    this is the one i ordered for my dv8p . its hard to decide sometimes so i try and go with the reviews on amazon .sorry the poetic case.
    mike

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I received my Targus SafePort for the V11P (there is one for the V8P as well,) and I'm not impressed with it. I may like it better once I've got the machine to put into it, but first impression is that it's a bit flimsy and might not stay together very well.

The photos make it look more substantial. While "polycarbonate" sounds better than "plastic," it is for all practical purposes a rather thin plastic shell, more flexible than I imagined, with a fairly dense and durable feeling foam liner. (Correction: rubbery silicone liner) On a cold day like today, I'm thinking of when I was a kid and I flew my frisbee on a very cold day, and how it broke into pieces. I'm afraid it would not take much of an impact to crack it in this weather. It consists of a surrounding shell that cradles the tablet and a flat face piece that is held in place by a few very small tabs that fit into corresponding holes or slots. The whole assembly feels more like very substantial retail display packaging - the stuff you'd throw away after un-boxing - than it does protective gear for working in the field.

This impression that the assembly does not fit together very securely may be premature. Once it has a tablet in it to make it more rigid, and having a little tension to snug it up, it may be a very nice package. Once the tablet is inside it, mated properly to the lining, the whole assembly might inspire more confidence. I would not dismiss this product just yet, but the initial impression is mild disappointment. It does not seem either as shock or weather resistant as I expected.

The handle/kick stand is cool, though. Having carried larger, heavier tablets around all day for many years now, this handle seems to add a more secure and ergonomically correct way of gripping it. I also think that the bezel of the case will give some relief from poor palm rejection when resting a palm on the edge of the tablet when using the stylus. I'm thinking the "built-in screen protector" might also serve to completely kill the capacitive finger-touch response for those of us who prefer to turn it off and use the active stylus as the sole means of input. (EDIT: this supposition that the screen protection would kill the touch operation was, of course, wrong. Touch works through it as if it was not even there.) It will, however, add a layer of reflective material to make it even more difficult to see the screen in bright light, but that's a trade off you have with almost any screen protection. I've almost always preferred to get a few screen scratches than use screen protection, but I'll give this a chance before saying it's a problem.

Bottom line: I mentioned this as a possible choice for the V8P, despite having not seen it, since it is "an available option." I'm less enthusiastic about it having handled the V11P version. I would not recommend it to anyone without the reservations I've expressed above.

Name:  targus safeport.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  82.7 KB
    Last edited by xrayzebra; 12-09-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: correction

Thread Information