Venue 8 Power and USB support with OTG Cable - No special Hacking needed

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robotica72

Thread: Venue 8 Power and USB support with OTG Cable - No special Hacking needed

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Venue 8 Power and USB support with OTG Cable - No special Hacking needed

Ok, I wasn't going to post this just in case it didn't work for others, but I have now reproduced the result 6 times on my Venue 8 - So someone else try this....

I was hacking some cables testing some theories, and thought I had a working hacked cable - Exciting, Power and USB ... Then I tried again without powering off the tablet and it wouldn't work... I failed.... Or did I?

In another attempt I used a standard OTG cable and bang it was working - Power and USB - NO HACKS ... How? Its all in the boot sequence... Try this :

1. Power down tablet
    2. Plug JUST power in - wait for the white light
    3. Power up the tablet
    4. When the Dell Logo starts spinning, unplug the power - plug in your OTG cable and plug the power into the power portion of your OTG Y Cable.
    5. You should notice that the light NEVER went Amber during this.
    6. When you get to Windows check the Desktop - Should show plugged in
    7. Plug in a USB Device - Should work as normal, and have power! (Ive tested with an External mSata and a USB 64GB Thumb Drive)

Post your results ... This cant just be dumb luck on my tablet?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Venue 8 Power and USB support with OTG Cable - No special Hacking needed

Quote Originally Posted by Robotica72 View Post
    Ok, I wasn't going to post this just in case it didn't work for others, but I have now reproduced the result 6 times on my Venue 8 - So someone else try this....

I was hacking some cables testing some theories, and thought I had a working hacked cable - Exciting, Power and USB ... Then I tried again without powering off the tablet and it wouldn't work... I failed.... Or did I?

In another attempt I used a standard OTG cable and bang it was working - Power and USB - NO HACKS ... How? Its all in the boot sequence... Try this :

1. Power down tablet
    3. Power up the tablet
    4. When the Dell Logo starts spinning, unplug the power - plug in your OTG cable and plug the power into the power portion of your OTG Y Cable.
    7. Plug in a USB Device - Should work as normal, and have power! (Ive tested with an External mSata and a USB 64GB Thumb Drive)

Post your results ... This cant just be dumb luck on my tablet?
    Funny, my v8p does not come til Saturday but I already have the otg y cable and have spliced like 3 different cables and usb hubs and switches to make sure I can do this when I get it. You can bet that I will be trying this when I get it and report back.

V3D
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Venue 8 Power and USB support with OTG Cable - No special Hacking needed

1. Power down tablet
    3. Power up the tablet
    Still sounds hacky to me.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

lol - True - but not much of a hack, Just a cable switch at boot up .... Better than nothing, or a cable with a switch/etc...

I tested again today just to make sure I wasn't just too tired last night - All good this morning, same process ... Of course, the light wasn't on for charging since it was fully charged but it seems that if you swap from Power Cable to OTG with the power cable in that before Windows gets up - I had charging with full USB...

Im happy - This was the last thing I needed to make the tablet usable for my needs ....

V3D
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

lol - True - but not much of a hack, Just a cable switch at boot up .... Better than nothing, or a cable with a switch/etc...

I tested again today just to make sure I wasn't just too tired last night - All good this morning, same process ... Of course, the light wasn't on for charging since it was fully charged but it seems that if you swap from Power Cable to OTG with the power cable in that before Windows gets up - I had charging with full USB...

Im happy - This was the last thing I needed to make the tablet usable for my needs ....
    The biggest issue with this is you need to close everything, shutdown the tablet then try to time the cable swap just right on start up. Also with HS200 enabled in the BIOS the internal storage speed almost doubles on reads. The tablet boots so fast you would have to been very quick with the cable swap.
    Last edited by V3D; 11-08-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I was planning in testing mine later today since I don't physically have it now.

If it works this method, could it mean it's all software related? Could someone possibly come out with a software hack/code to disable Windows 8/Dell from disabling charging when another USB device is plugged in?

Any takers?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I was thinking that as well - since the Dell checks for the cable / etc ... Of course, beyond me - I was a programmer in the past, but Im an OS/Hardware guy now .... (and VMware)

Scribbler - Standard Member

This does not work for me (swapping the plug during boot). Also no dice with a usb cable cut off and made into a data line crosser that is plugged into the device to short the data lines. We have 2 threads going so I will just focus on the other one. (Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?)
    Last edited by cameld00d; 11-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have read over all the thread posts here. But was wondering if this simple diagram is a way to go? I have seen the other methods of like 50 differnt cables plugged into each other and i would prefer to avoid that.

Thread Information