Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro - Page 12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    The description of the stylus and the tablet leads me to believe that there is no special touch layer on the device besides a typical capactive one. It looks like the stylus from synaptics is like the Adonit Script for iOS devices which is coming out later this month. The pen sends an active signal to the capacitive touch screen, which makes the tablet think it is a finger press. It can do this with just a fine point on the stylus. There is an accelerometer in the pen which helps with accuracy. It will work on any iOS device but if the app is linked with Adonit's library, the angle through the accelerometer is transmitted through bluetooth for increased accuracy. This can be solved in windows via a driver. I'm doubtful that this technology is as good as a Wacom stylus which a special touch layer for it. And I'm sure that a stylus like this will come out that works on multiple types of windows tablets. The capacitive signal for each device is a little different so for now, the Adonit Script only works on iOS devices. I think the Synaptics one is like this but regulated for these new Dell tablets.
    Except this synaptic pen has pressure sensitivity and palm rejection. Its definitely more advanced than the adonit. there has to be more underlying tech.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeelobby View Post
    Except this synaptic pen has pressure sensitivity and palm rejection. Its definitely more advanced than the adonit. there has to be more underlying tech.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Yes it is more advanced, but I think it is the same technology. Even Adonit has said that it's next stylus, using the same technology will have pressure sensitivity and palm rejection. It is the one that Adobe has been showing (previewing) for the iPad. They are going to sell it under their name but Adonit is making it using this technology. I think synaptics is just bringing the whole package to the market faster.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think some of the current Adonit pen use BT to connect to get pen support, but it doesn't offer full pressure sensitivity, and I think with these types of pens palm rejection is app dependent, no? I don't think that is how Synaptic's system works. I think it is more N-Trig like than anything.

Geek.

The description of the stylus and the tablet leads me to believe that there is no special touch layer on the device besides a typical capactive one. It looks like the stylus from synaptics is like the Adonit Script for iOS devices which is coming out later this month. The pen sends an active signal to the capacitive touch screen, which makes the tablet think it is a finger press. It can do this with just a fine point on the stylus. There is an accelerometer in the pen which helps with accuracy. It will work on any iOS device but if the app is linked with Adonit's library, the angle through the accelerometer is transmitted through bluetooth for increased accuracy. This can be solved in windows via a driver. I'm doubtful that this technology is as good as a Wacom stylus which a special touch layer for it. And I'm sure that a stylus like this will come out that works on multiple types of windows tablets. The capacitive signal for each device is a little different so for now, the Adonit Script only works on iOS devices. I think the Synaptics one is like this but regulated for these new Dell tablets.
    It doesn't have a separate digitizer layer for the pen, but it sounds like it has a capacitive layer that is made with pen input in mind. It has a higher resolution grid and increased sensitivity to sense the smaller capacitive changes induced by a hovering pen. The Adonit and other capacitive pens are taking a digitizer layer designed exclusively for touch and trying to make it work for a pen. This one sounds like it was designed for pen use, so I would think it is potentially much better than the hacks you see for "typical" capacitive screens.

Still though as with any new tech it is smart to be skeptical. Particularly considering the track record of Wacom alternatives to date.
    Current Tablets:
    Asus Vivotab Note 8 (8" / 0.8 lb, Companion) | Fujitsu T904 (13.3" / 3.4 lb, Convertible Tablet PC)
    Computing Setup

Tablet PC History:
    Dell Venue 8 Pro, 2013 | Surface Pro, 2013 | *Surface RT, 2012 | Lenovo x201t, 2010 | Toshiba M400, 2007 | Acer c111, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Mesosphere View Post
    It doesn't have a separate digitizer layer for the pen, but it sounds like it has a capacitive layer that is made with pen input in mind. It has a higher resolution grid and increased sensitivity to sense the smaller capacitive changes induced by a hovering pen. The Adonit and other capacitive pens are taking a digitizer layer designed exclusively for touch and trying to make it work for a pen. This one sounds like it was designed for pen use, so I would think it is potentially much better than the hacks you see for "typical" capacitive screens.

Still though as with any new tech it is smart to be skeptical. Particularly considering the track record of Wacom alternatives to date.
    I hope it is like you say, and not a capacitive "hack" like I think it is. I would like to buy the 11" tablet.

Geek.

I hope it is like you say, and not a capacitive "hack" like I think it is. I would like to buy the 11" tablet.
    *Fingers crossed*. I want to give the 8" a try.
    Current Tablets:
    Asus Vivotab Note 8 (8" / 0.8 lb, Companion) | Fujitsu T904 (13.3" / 3.4 lb, Convertible Tablet PC)
    Computing Setup

Tablet PC History:
    Dell Venue 8 Pro, 2013 | Surface Pro, 2013 | *Surface RT, 2012 | Lenovo x201t, 2010 | Toshiba M400, 2007 | Acer c111, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Mesosphere View Post
    *Fingers crossed*. I want to give the 8" a try.
    Hi Guys. first post here!
    i went to the #dellvenue store in nyc and got to spend some time with the 8 inch dell venue. here are my thoughts
    Pros:
    thin and very light
    very bright and sharp screen
    windows 8 runs really snappy on this! compared to my surface rt the venue pro flies! apps opened quickly, navigating xbox music was very fast the new mail app opened instantly nice!
    Pen support! i got to play with the pen extensively!
    downloaded OneNote metro app . the pen supports palm rejection - i rested my palm on the glass and wrote. i am not used to writing on glass so it didnt feel natural but it worked. it wasnt perfect, i feel the wacom on the surface was much better but this is miles above the fat rubber pen i use on the Surface RT. the pen also supports hover, has buttons on it i think for lasso effect and erase...

The cons
    boring design
    i hated the spiral contoured back design much prefer the smooth soft touch of the android version
    low res screen compared to the competition but thats ok because the screen is nice - good colors, viewing angles and sharpness. it shames the Acer W3! Also any higher resolution the desktop might be invisible! metro works fine on 8 inch and you can snap apps side by side even at this resolution!
    no HDMI port! how will i connect this to a larger monitor?
    Since i have a surface rt i missed the kickstand and the capacitive start button on the surface bezel. the venue have some weird placement of the start button with none on the bezels so you will have to adapt to using the charms menu exclusively

any questions feel free to ask

-Sayon

Quote Originally Posted by sayonical View Post
    Hi Guys. first post here!
    i went to the #dellvenue store in nyc and got to spend some time with the 8 inch dell venue. here are my thoughts
    Pros:
    thin and very light
    very bright and sharp screen
    windows 8 runs really snappy on this! compared to my surface rt the venue pro flies! apps opened quickly, navigating xbox music was very fast the new mail app opened instantly nice!
    Pen support! i got to play with the pen extensively!
    downloaded OneNote metro app . the pen supports palm rejection - i rested my palm on the glass and wrote. i am not used to writing on glass so it didnt feel natural but it worked. it wasnt perfect, i feel the wacom on the surface was much better but this is miles above the fat rubber pen i use on the Surface RT. the pen also supports hover, has buttons on it i think for lasso effect and erase...

The cons
    boring design
    i hated the spiral contoured back design much prefer the smooth soft touch of the android version
    low res screen compared to the competition but thats ok because the screen is nice - good colors, viewing angles and sharpness. it shames the Acer W3! Also any higher resolution the desktop might be invisible! metro works fine on 8 inch and you can snap apps side by side even at this resolution!
    no HDMI port! how will i connect this to a larger monitor?
    Since i have a surface rt i missed the kickstand and the capacitive start button on the surface bezel. the venue have some weird placement of the start button with none on the bezels so you will have to adapt to using the charms menu exclusively

any questions feel free to ask

-Sayon
    Hello,

Do you happen to know if the store would be open today Sunday. I can't find too much information for it online. It looks like it runs through the 18th of October but I don't want to go to Manhattan for nothing. I live in New Jersey, not too far but still do not want to make a wasted trip.

So basic pen support looks pretty nice thanks for sharing!
    I'm pretty sure the venue display is open every day.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Mhhh, I am not sure if the writing quality turns out to be comparable to the Atmel pens. So rather disappointing.

Does anyone know about the Dell roadmap 2013 for tablets? So high are chances for a successor of the Dell Latitude 10? I am afraid, the Venue 10 seems to fill the gap for the business sector already though...damn, I want N-Trig or at least Wacom!

Thread Information